Data logging

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

madjak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Data logging

Postby madjak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm

I ran my last event without the tablet so I had no delta times. It was a fairly pleasant experience and I felt far more chilled than normal... I destroyed my PB by over 2 seconds and I'm now only half a second of the U2L lap record at Barbagallo. I think on tracks that I know well, the live data isn't that useful and more of a distraction. I still run physical oil pressure and temp gauges and that is really all I need to look at.

On a new track or a different setup I'll definitely hook up the delta time.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 pm

To be honest the only display I really look at is the OLED that has the predictive time on, the rear view camera, shift lights and the warning lights. The dash page is kept on the one with the important stuff (temps and pressures). Whilst the this dash page does display speed it is rather small.

The live data is for the people in the pits or elsewhere to look at :)

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:17 am

Circumstances happened where I was able to have both the CL-1 and the Racelogic OLED in the same video.

I did not look at the CL-1 as the OLED is in the perfect spot and is easy to read.

However, I did a bit of thinking about things...
The VBox Lite has a cost of $2,700 (2 cameras and OLED display). The VBox Lite can log up to 8 CAN channels ($315 for cable). If 5volt sensor inputs are required then a micro module is required ($345). Also if you need the manual logging switch and the OLED to operate at the same time this cable will set you back $350.

Not sure what the CL-1 would cost in Australia, but it us $595 USD (includes ODB2 connector which allows up to 10 total OBD2 channels and a single M8 cable). If no ODB2 then 4 Analog and 4 Digital channels are available to hook sensors up to or the Vantage EFI module ($249 USD) can be used to hook up to most aftermarket ECU's

in the alternative Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix edition $27.99 all you need is a phone and if you want an ODBII data then this is easy same as hooking up an external GPS for 'more accurate' positional data. A lot less than other systems however requires you to select add-ons that are compatible (not really a bad point). Is Harry's as accurate as others, well people I have spoken to at the track seem to think it is.

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 am

I’ve used Harry’s for a few years just using my iphones GPS, it can be +/- 2/10ths off my Dorian times but usually closer to 1/10th.
It doesn’t have a lot of data for post race analysis but is a great starting point for getting laptimes. If you had OBD2 you could log a lot more data.
I’ve just updated to RaceCapture track linked to my ECU via CANbus, haven’t had a chance to run it on the track yet.

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:20 pm

rossint wrote: I’ve just updated to RaceCapture track linked to my ECU via CANbus, haven’t had a chance to run it on the track yet.

Keen to hear how this goes, as I considered a similar setup. What ECU? What are using as a display?

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Using an MSPNP2, had a track day today at The Bend so got a chance to give the setup a run.
I have a cheap android tablet that can go in front of the cars gauge cluster and an iPhone 8 Plus that has a mount by the vents in the centre. I alternated between the 2 to see how they performed but could have run both at once for different displays, I only had CANbus set to 1hz on the ECU so using the tab as a display didn't work that well as the RPM didn't update fast enough. I will rectify this next track day.
iPhone can only connect via wifi and you need to put it in airplane mode with wifi on to maintain a solid connection I've found, Android can use wifi or bluetooth.
First impressions of RaceCapture are generally really good, the predictive lap time is great. The app is still a little bit clunky but not terrible, it only displays speed in MPH but I think they will add KPH in an upcoming update.

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:18 pm

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 pm

That's a great looking track, hopefully get down for the SA Time Attack event one day and have a crack at it.

I have an MS3Pro PnP, and was thinking of either a tablet or Raspberry Pi for the display.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:47 pm

The track days The Bend put on are great value, $275 for 6x 20min sessions on the International circuit. It seemed like people struggled with traffic at last years Time Attack even on such a long track.
I think I’ve got the RaceCapture setup sorted now, 20hz data makes a huge difference, I’ll run the tablet on the predictive lap dash I think. The last couple of days I’ve been trying to get the live streaming happening, I think if I had an android phone it would be easier to get a stable internet connection.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

greenMachine wrote:This problem is larger than the Sol2DL, it apparently affects all of their new generation loggers. So, if you are buying a new logger from Aim, check that it will work in your configuration of ECU/coms protocol before swiping that card.

I am told that all this will be sorted by end September, so my fingers are crossed. With a couple of events in early September, I will run the Solo2DL model as a non-logging Solo2 as a stop-gap. And if you are in this situation, make sure that your logging (of the internal Solo functions, not the ECU obviously) does NOT require an ECU input to start. The default is an ECU input for RPM, so this needs to be reset - I used GPS speed.

:mrgreen:

So we are in October, has AIM come through and fixed it? The Solo2DL is tempting (as is the RaceCapture Track).

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 pm

takai wrote:
greenMachine wrote:This problem is larger than the Sol2DL, it apparently affects all of their new generation loggers. So, if you are buying a new logger from Aim, check that it will work in your configuration of ECU/coms protocol before swiping that card.

I am told that all this will be sorted by end September, so my fingers are crossed. With a couple of events in early September, I will run the Solo2DL model as a non-logging Solo2 as a stop-gap. And if you are in this situation, make sure that your logging (of the internal Solo functions, not the ECU obviously) does NOT require an ECU input to start. The default is an ECU input for RPM, so this needs to be reset - I used GPS speed.

So we are in October, has AIM come through and fixed it? The Solo2DL is tempting (as is the RaceCapture Track).

Sounds like it. From GMs build thread:

"Not happy that the Solo was sold with no protocols for serial ECUs contrary to the blurb statements (naughty Aim!), but at least they delivered my Autronic protocol in the timeframe promised: they said end September, I checked 1 October and it was there."

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Still no protocol in RaceStudio3 for any Adaptronic ECU's which is a worry considering they were suppose to be releasing CAN ecu protocols first and the new Adaptronics are CAN... :(
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Solo2DL protocols

Postby greenMachine » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks SKYHIGH for posting that. Yes, the Autronic protocol was available, and uploaded to the device (via RS3) on the 1st. Then there was an update later in the week, so I got that too. I assume that this is also available on the other devices using this new OS.

Roadrunner, better get onto the local distributor (Ron, in Wollongong, dets on the site) and lean on him. I gave him a hard time, but it was mainly the largish population of Autronics that motivated him. There must be a few of you Adaptronic users too, so that should work for you; if nothing else he should be able to give an ETA.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Roadrunner wrote:Still no protocol in RaceStudio3 for any Adaptronic ECU's which is a worry considering they were suppose to be releasing CAN ecu protocols first and the new Adaptronics are CAN... :(

Yeah, this is one of the other ones i was wondering about. Not much use if they claim to support stuff and never come through with it.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:20 pm

If coming to WTAC in Sydney call into the Takumi Oil stand and see the live feed from my car.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”