Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Data logging

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:46 am

greenMachine wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:Still no protocol in RaceStudio3 for any Adaptronic ECU's which is a worry considering they were suppose to be releasing CAN ecu protocols first and the new Adaptronics are CAN... :(

I just updated RS3. Still no Adaptronic. If you want it, better talk to Ron ...

I see MS is available, and a CAN for the ND. OBD2 is also available of course. source

:mrgreen:

I contacted Ron a little while ago. He said serial protocols are coming November. I guess November hasn't quite finished yet so there's still time :lol:
MeepMeep

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Magpie wrote:The CL-2 does not use any sensors from the phone. It is just used for data collection as well as live streaming. The black box holds all the sensors ( GPS, G Forces).

Hi Magpie,

I got that information from the CL2 FAQ:
"Does the CL2 utilize internal G meters?
No. The processing properties of the D3 app and mobile phone provides highly accurate lateral and accel g data.
What type of Bluetooth is used between the CL2 and the vehicle mounted mobile phone running the Racepak D3 app?
Low energy Bluetooth (BTLE) as it has proven to be highly robust and dependable in a variety of conditions. Remember, the
onboard mobile phone is only receiving data from the nearby mounted CL2, so there is no need for long range Bluetooth
capabilities"

One thing that I haven't found an answer for yet is what kind of information I would be able to read from the OBDII ?
I sent an message to Racepak through their website over the weekend but haven't heard from them yet.

BTW, I'm following the Driver61 channel on Youtube. The host is a driver coach and the channel is packed with great info on driving skills for a newbie like me.

Cheers

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby takai » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
greenMachine wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:Still no protocol in RaceStudio3 for any Adaptronic ECU's which is a worry considering they were suppose to be releasing CAN ecu protocols first and the new Adaptronics are CAN... :(

I just updated RS3. Still no Adaptronic. If you want it, better talk to Ron ...

I see MS is available, and a CAN for the ND. OBD2 is also available of course. source

:mrgreen:

I contacted Ron a little while ago. He said serial protocols are coming November. I guess November hasn't quite finished yet so there's still time :lol:

All of December has now gone, any luck with Adaptronic support?

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Just checked RS3 and still no Adaptronic protocols for Solo2 DL in either CAN or RS232 so I'd say they aren't bothering given its the end of January.

They also had no luck getting my Solo1 DL to log AFR through the Adaptronic even with custom updated solo firmware etc (just shows/logs 25.5 constantly). Every other parameter logs and displays fine though.
MeepMeep

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Roadrunner wrote:Just checked RS3 and still no Adaptronic protocols for Solo2 DL in either CAN or RS232 so I'd say they aren't bothering given its the end of January.

They also had no luck getting my Solo1 DL to log AFR through the Adaptronic even with custom updated solo firmware etc (just shows/logs 25.5 constantly). Every other parameter logs and displays fine though.

Hm, that is further pushing me towards RaceCapture over AIM....

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 pm

is there a reason why the microtech data logger dash has not been mentioned. Or do they not capable of doing what you require?

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:30 pm

GR124 wrote:is there a reason why the microtech data logger dash has not been mentioned. Or do they not capable of doing what you require?

From what i have heard tell the refresh rate on the Microtech dash isnt great, and the analysis software isnt particularly good.

Essentially data logging falls into two rough camps:
1. Cheap and cheerful
2. Less cheap but more powerful

Now a lot of the power of datalogging comes not with the hardware to actually log stuff (that is relatively trivial), but with the analysis end of things. On the cheap side stuff like Harry's Laptimer or RaceChrono will happily log a bunch of inputs (especially if you have OBD2), but your analysis options are relatively limited. Thats why people write long scripts to shoehorn the data into other pieces of software.
On the more expensive side you are really paying for the analysis suite rather than the hardware (above a certain point). An AIM Solo 2DL effectively does the same thing as a RaceCapture Track and mobile phone (so far as raw functionality), but the analysis engine varies significantly.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am

takai wrote:
GR124 wrote:is there a reason why the microtech data logger dash has not been mentioned. Or do they not capable of doing what you require?

From what i have heard tell the refresh rate on the Microtech dash isnt great, and the analysis software isnt particularly good.

Essentially data logging falls into two rough camps:
1. Cheap and cheerful
2. Less cheap but more powerful

Now a lot of the power of datalogging comes not with the hardware to actually log stuff (that is relatively trivial), but with the analysis end of things. On the cheap side stuff like Harry's Laptimer or RaceChrono will happily log a bunch of inputs (especially if you have OBD2), but your analysis options are relatively limited. Thats why people write long scripts to shoehorn the data into other pieces of software.
On the more expensive side you are really paying for the analysis suite rather than the hardware (above a certain point). An AIM Solo 2DL effectively does the same thing as a RaceCapture Track and mobile phone (so far as raw functionality), but the analysis engine varies significantly.

Thanks for the response, food for thought, I'll look into that before I hit the buy button.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:15 am

takai wrote:
Now a lot of the power of datalogging comes not with the hardware to actually log stuff (that is relatively trivial), but with the analysis end of things.

I would agree with this statement but add that the logging rate is also what sets the hardware apart.

Check the logging rates as this has a very large impact on data analysis. If doing a derivative of say change in speed and speed is only logged at 10hz the result will be at best for display purposes only. To calculate velocities on a damper sensor you need in excess of 250hz to get meaningful results.

Another consideration point is that just because the ECU can accept a sensor with a high hz does not imply that the ECU CAN will transmit it at the same rate.

With respect to software Motec's is great but to do serious analysis you need the Pro version (costs $'s), Racepak's Datalink has a very clunky feel but can have custom pages written and has unlimited math channel capabilities, Innovate's Logworks is fantastic but has no GPS capabilities, AIM's software I have only had a token play as have been sent files to have a look at.

Do your research and keep in mind possible future needs.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Two months more, anything from AIM?

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Checked Race Studio3 / AiM Solo2 DL and they have finally released ECU protocols for Adaptronic, but only the older "Select" series ECUs. Nothing about CAN on the new Modular ECUs. Maybe thats still coming or possibly the Haltech protocols 'might' work given the new collaboration between Haltech and Adap.

I have a new found respect for data acquisition too. My wife and I spent all night after a recent practice day looking at her racing lines by exporting the SOLO GPS data and overlaying it in Google Earth (SMSP GP Circuit). We worked out where she was turning in to early/late and with the ECU data logged by the Solo worked on a few areas to improve on. As it turned out, the line through T2 that didn't feel right, was the quickest line of all laps (obviously there are many variables in that but it's a decent guide).
MeepMeep

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 pm

So turns out the Solo DL and DL2 have been compatible with the new Adaptronic Modular ECUs all along, AIM just hasn’t updated their documentation. Adaptronic outputs the AIM Prot_Uart protocol so simply select Aim ECU - Prot_Uart in RS2 or 3 and you’ll have the following logs:

RPM
Vehicle speed
Overall throttle position
Manifold absolute / gauge pressure
Oil pressure
Fuel pressure
Lambda
Oil Temp
Coolant temp
12V supply
Air temp
EGT 1