Re: Data logging

Postby Magpie » Sat May 19, 2018 11:53 am

Not cars but data logging...

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: AiM vs Racepak

Postby greenMachine » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm

greenMachine wrote:... I am leaning heavily towards AiM at the moment, either a SoloDL2, or a MXm dash. Neither are yet available here, expected in a matter of a week or two. ...

:mrgreen:

Well it has been a bit more than a week or two, the Solo2DL has finally arrived Dunnunda, but still no sign of the MXm. Looks like I will be jumping on the Solo, I can't wait forever to make a comparison with something that has no ETA.

Turns out that the Solo2DL can't take any analogue data directly, all data has to come through the ECU. Fortunately the Autronic has plenty of spare inputs, so that will not be an issue. On that basis it will do everything I need, including shift lights if mounted in my eyeline. However I will probably get a shift light and mount the Solo elsewhere.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: AiM vs Racepak

Postby takai » Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 pm

greenMachine wrote:
greenMachine wrote:... I am leaning heavily towards AiM at the moment, either a SoloDL2, or a MXm dash. Neither are yet available here, expected in a matter of a week or two. ...

Well it has been a bit more than a week or two, the Solo2DL has finally arrived Dunnunda, but still no sign of the MXm. Looks like I will be jumping on the Solo, I can't wait forever to make a comparison with something that has no ETA.

Turns out that the Solo2DL can't take any analogue data directly, all data has to come through the ECU. Fortunately the Autronic has plenty of spare inputs, so that will not be an issue. On that basis it will do everything I need, including shift lights if mounted in my eyeline. However I will probably get a shift light and mount the Solo elsewhere.

Have a look at using RAM mounts for the Solo2. They have a 2 bolt mounting point at the back that allows for a RAM ball. The long arm is enough to reach across the dash to the central dash support, and another RAM ball is easily mounted on an angle bracket into the M6 hole under the dash support.

On my NA that will keep a device in the line of sight, while also having it solidly mounted rather than suction cup mounted.

This is the mount and arm, just grab a bolt up ball for the other end and fab the bracket: http://competitionmotorsport.com/aim-sp ... ion-mount/

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm

This might not be the right thread to ask, but you guys seem to know what you're on about, and I really have very little knowledge about this stuff :)

I am looking to put together a cheap engine monitoring and data logging solution in my track car. Not necessarily a permanent solution, but something I can do on a budget and that will suffice for now.

I have a MS3 Pro PnP ecu, and was thinking of doing a Raspberry Pi3 display to run TunerStudio on to monitor my engine vitals, and then running RaceChrono on my phone with a 10hz bluetooth module for some basic data logging. Would really like a set of shift lights as well, but no sure if this is something that can be incorporated into a custom dash on the Raspberry and run from the ecu.

Better options out there? Any advice welcome.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 pm

SKYHI wrote: Would really like a set of shift lights

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/ The new version is not cheap, you maybe able to find an older Shift-I for a lot less.

SKYHI wrote:I have a MS3 Pro PnP ecu
Does this have a CAN output?

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Magpie wrote:https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/ The new version is not cheap, you maybe able to find an older Shift-I for a lot less.

I use to run an earlier ecliptech shift light in my STi back in about 2008. It worked well, but the price of the new unit put me off.

Magpie wrote:Does this have a CAN output?

Yes, as far as I can tell :)

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasquirt_CAN_Broadcast.pdf

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 am

RaceCatpure Track looks really good.
https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... or-system/
V2 will have 2 can channels so you can run shift and warning lights.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 am

Yes RaceCapture looks like a good thing, but I'll check out a couple of options, including the CL1 that Magpie is about to test in his car, before I decide on spending that bit extra.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:35 am

SKYHI wrote: CL1 that Magpie is about to test in his car
Will be on 01/07/18 at the moment. PM me your email address and I will add you onto my cloud 'team' so that you will get a notification when the car is on the track. At the moment it will be without RPM but you can get an idea.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Magpie wrote: PM me your email address and I will add you onto my cloud 'team' so that you will get a notification when the car is on the track. At the moment it will be without RPM but you can get an idea.

Will do :)

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Solo2DL arrived today

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Well, my Solo2DL arrived today, currently being juiced up.

Turns out that I missed the little detail that you can only connect a PC to it by wifi, I read it as being additional. So now I have to go through all the wifi protocols stuff to get it talking to my PC, and my Surface notebook, before getting into the fun stuff.

Stay tuned for the next exciting (?) episode ...

I have also picked up on Magpie's comment elsewhere to the effect that warning lights are often more useful than gauges. I have a set of nice Speedhut oil and water temperature gauges and an oil pressure gauge but I think I will put them aside, duplicate my sensors and datalog through the ECU to the Solo the sensor values, and use the second sensors to drive warning lights, including a big master alarm if I can get the wiring right.

Build thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:01 am

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 am

Just the ticket! Source?

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: Solo2DL arrived today

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm

greenMachine wrote:Well, my Solo2DL arrived today, currently being juiced up.

Turns out that I missed the little detail that you can only connect a PC to it by Wi-Fi, ....

Stay tuned for the next exciting (?) episode ...

Episode 2

Well that was easy! Turn the PC Wi-Fi on, there is the Solo, saying 'Pick me! Pick me!', click, and I am connected!

Played around with the configuration, selected some likely tracks (reluctantly deleted 'Melbourne GP', as the Ferrari F1 contract seems to have been lost in the mail, :cry: ), noted there is no SMP South, North or extended circuit maps, played around with various other config settings, but there was a limit as the unit is not yet connected to the ECU. Communication between the PC and the Solo is not lightning fast, but not bad either.

Next step, connection to the ECU ...

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: Solo2DL arrived today

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm

greenMachine wrote:Next step, connection to the ECU ...

Err, now it gets complicated. Apparently the OS is different, and all ECU mapping needs to be ported. And Autronic is not yet done. I have spoken to Aim here, and they are going to contact head office, so hopefully they can convince them to do it alphabetically :wink: or otherwise expedite it.

I don't know what timeframe Aim envisages for the full list to be ported, so worth following up if you are considering one of the Solo2DLs, the non-logging Solo2 is obviously unaffected.

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”