Data logging

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Data logging

Postby Magpie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:30 pm

As previously mentioned I have a Racepak CL1 in the car and got to test it out at Morgan Park Raceway.

The install was basic, just the unit and the GPS, there was not RPM signal. The kit I have has a RPM signal sensor that requires a high tension spark plug lead, however I have a COP setup. A cable that suits a COP setup has been ordered. Hence with no RPM signal the unit had to be started manually and would log for a max on 10 mins.

Despite the manual start the CL1 was very easy to operate and its recorded times were very close to the official timing! Was great to be able to look at the times at the end of the run after the car was turned off.

The phone was not used as a display of times as the car already has an IQ3 and Racelogic OLED display, so a third lap display would have been a distraction!

There appears to be a difference in track position between the CL1 and the Datalink, this could be different Start/Finish lines. However a 'bug' with the CL1 analysis software means that you cannot see the track length because it becomes obscured at the end of the run.

CL-1 - good points
1. Track overlay something that the Datalink software is missing. This allows you to see how close you are to the track limits.
2. Can work without any sensors, with the exception of the GPS. This allows it to be swapped into another car quickly!
3. Great battery life. It ran almost all day.
4. Simple to use.
5. A great start to data collection!

CL-2 - bad points
1. No G Plot for limits of grip analysis.
2. Data attached to the position marker becomes obscured.

Screen shot from CL1 App. Speed (GPS) is 155.7, however the track position disagrees with my IQ3 data. This could just be a difference in start lines. Need to look into this.

IQ3 data has my max speed at 156.3 (gearbox)

CL1 App combined G force

IQ3 combined plot. The CL1 app does not give a G Plot :(

I tried to look at the track length and compare to the IQ3, but the data in the CL1 app becomes obscured :(

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Any chance of being able to zoom in on the 4/5/6 complex on both the IQ3 and CL1 in G-logging? Looks like a fairly significant difference through the turn 5 entry and exit, but its really difficult to tell on the screenshots.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm

So... how many different data loggers do you have installed in your car now mark?
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm

plohl wrote:So... how many different data loggers do you have installed in your car now mark?

I was wondering about that....
3 x GPS antenna

1. Racelogic VBox Lite - this is for the video. Plus it has the best predictive lap timer and the display is simple. This display is almost entirely left on the predictive screen. This does not collect any data other than Video/GPS/RPM.
  2. IQ3 - this is the PRIMARY data logger. It can be used for lap times but the screen mainly stays on the engine vitals.
  3. CL1 - this was sent as part of the Team Racepak 2018 to evaluate and test. This will not become the primary logger. At the moment it does not even have an RPM input

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:47 am

Didn't even pick up on the lack of accelerometers in the CL1 :(

Shame about the lack of RPM signal, but my car still runs leads ;)

I don't remember seeing an email for the cloud notification?

Is the software the same as you've been using, or is it specific to the CL1?

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am

Magpie wrote:
plohl wrote:So... how many different data loggers do you have installed in your car now mark?

I was wondering about that....
3 x GPS antenna

1. Racelogic VBox Lite - this is for the video. Plus it has the best predictive lap timer and the display is simple. This display is almost entirely left on the predictive screen. This does not collect any data other than Video/GPS/RPM.
  2. IQ3 - this is the PRIMARY data logger. It can be used for lap times but the screen mainly stays on the engine vitals.
  3. CL1 - this was sent as part of the Team Racepak 2018 to evaluate and test. This will not become the primary logger. At the moment it does not even have an RPM input

All that extra weight Mark! :)

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am

SKYHI wrote:All that extra weight Mark! :)
Yes I could afford to loose some kg's :)

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Magpie wrote:
SKYHI wrote:All that extra weight Mark! :)
Yes I could afford to loose some kg's :)

That's what we carbon fibre for :D

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Holy sh*t dude. All the data loggers.

I still think your videos would be more useful with just the basic overlays.
TPS, Brake pressure or state (on/off), speed and RPM.

I find them too busy at the moment.
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:11 am

plohl wrote:I find them too busy at the moment.
Will 'tone' them down, thanks for the feedback!

Not sure how this can be toned down but... Damper velocities....

Have started to collect damper velocities with the purpose of making a decision on the next dampers for the car. Full details https://www.facebook.com/teamracepak/posts/2136169726666947

Simple results are... The low speed part indicates not much is happening. Low speed velocities are about sprung mass movements and since this is where most of the action should be the data disagrees...

An instance of kerb hopping at Morgan Park shows that the damper is not critically damped as there is some oscillation (red trace). This 'event' lasted a massive 3.7m from kerb impact to zero velocity. In context the car was traveling at 31.7m/s. So all this happened in 0.12 seconds!

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah, I think toning them down will make it easier for you to analyze your driving as well. The KISS acronym speaks volumes when assessing data I think.

The shock info is pretty cool. What frequency is it logged at?
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 pm

plohl wrote:Toning them down will make it easier for you to analyze your driving as well.
I only use the video for others and not for my own use. For my own use I flick between videos and the data. For example in the shock travel if I see something 'strange' I'll go to the video to 'see' what was happening.

plohl wrote:The shock info is pretty cool. What frequency is it logged at?
250Hz going to increase it to 500Hz to see if it makes any difference in the histogram. Will be working on getting the fronts hooked up on the weekend.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 pm

I think this needs to be addressed, I have problem....

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Magpie wrote:

I think this needs to be addressed, I have problem....

Surely there is a 12-step program for this addiction ... ?

greenMachine wrote:
greenMachine wrote:Next step, connection to the ECU ...

Err, now it gets complicated. Apparently the OS is different, and all ECU mapping needs to be ported. And Autronic is not yet done. I have spoken to Aim here, and they are going to contact head office, so hopefully they can convince them to do it alphabetically :wink: or otherwise expedite it.

I don't know what timeframe Aim envisages for the full list to be ported, so worth following up if you are considering one of the Solo2DLs, the non-logging Solo2 is obviously unaffected.

:mrgreen:

This problem is larger than the Sol2DL, it apparently affects all of their new generation loggers. So, if you are buying a new logger from Aim, check that it will work in your configuration of ECU/coms protocol before swiping that card.

I am told that all this will be sorted by end September, so my fingers are crossed. With a couple of events in early September, I will run the Solo2DL model as a non-logging Solo2 as a stop-gap. And if you are in this situation, make sure that your logging (of the internal Solo functions, not the ECU obviously) does NOT require an ECU input to start. The default is an ECU input for RPM, so this needs to be reset - I used GPS speed.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 pm

I think you're a bit like the crowds at a concert. More interested in the view via their mobile phone than actually experiencing it with their actual eyes.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”