CAMS/FIA Battery Isolation Switch

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

CAMS/FIA Battery Isolation Switch

Postby takai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:30 pm

In preparing for logbook, I remembered that I need an FIA isolation switch as per:
Schedule C. (j) Each automobile of the 2nd and 3rd Category shall be equipped with a battery isolation (master) switch which isolates the battery and stops the engine, and:
(i) it shall be capable of being operated by the driver in his normal seated position;
(ii) there shall be a second switch, or a remote means of operating the main switch, from the vicinity of the base of the A pillar on the driver’s side or, for an automobile with no A pillar, in a comparable position; and
(iii) each external device shall be clearly marked by a symbol showing a red spark in a white- edged blue triangle of minimum edge length 150mm;

Now for us the logical place to put such a switch is where the rear power run meets the fuse box on the drivers side next to the firewall. However, without a cabin cable this does not meet the requirements for j.i., that it must be operable from the driver in the normal seating position.
I can easily run a cable to the cabin to meet this requirement (along with the cable up the A-pillar). But i am wondering if there is another method that is commonly used on our cars.

What have other people done?

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: CAMS/FIA Battery Isolation Switch

Postby greenMachine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Road registered?

My SE was logbooked without one.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm

greenMachine wrote:Road registered?

My SE was logbooked without one.

Who did your SE logbooking? Its not excluded for road registered vehicles, and neither is the tailshaft loop.

Or what is it logbooked as?

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Schedule C is only for racing.
A isolating switch is not required for a logbook if only doing speed events etc & not racing.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 pm

RS2000 wrote:Schedule C is only for racing.
A isolating switch is not required for a logbook if only doing speed events etc & not racing.

Logbooking as 2B/F for future racing, as changing logbooks is more annoying than it is worth. But true if greenmachine isn't logbooked for racing.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Yes, my car is logbooked for speed events, not racing.

Regarding the cut off, it is not a battery cutoff, it is a kill switch that turns off all electrical power, including the engine/alternator (as per Schedule C). Putting it in the battery circuit will not kill the engine, as it is still generating via the alternator.

I know there are some very expensive kill switches, perhaps they will do both.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 am

greenMachine wrote:Yes, my car is logbooked for speed events, not racing.

Regarding the cut off, it is not a battery cutoff, it is a kill switch that turns off all electrical power, including the engine/alternator (as per Schedule C). Putting it in the battery circuit will not kill the engine, as it is still generating via the alternator.

I know there are some very expensive kill switches, perhaps they will do both.

Even the basic FIA switches have a secondary pair of switchable circuits to allow for killing the alternator

That is why you use a FIA switch not the ones used for secondary batteries and camper trailers.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm

I Just grabbed one of these (above) for my track car build.
It was suggested to me to spend a lot more. Always easy to advise someone to get spend more when it's not their dosh.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:50 pm

I have one of those red switches lying around after I thought the switch in the IPRA car had died (it hadnt, user error).

But after doing some reading, it seems that this type of Tyco switch might be the go:
http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity ... dp/2076581

Read the wiring for it here. Would just mean putting the alternator to the battery side of the shutoff, rather than the fuse box side.
http://www.ipraforum.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8166

Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Nuddy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:38 pm

My NC is a road registered race car.
CAMS log book lists it as 2F.
It has a simple isolator switch.
Daniel Deckers made a simple modification to the wiring loom so that it cuts out the alternator too.
Operate the switch and the engine stops.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Nuddy wrote:My NC is a road registered race car.
CAMS log book lists it as 2F.
It has a simple isolator switch.
Daniel Deckers made a simple modification to the wiring loom so that it cuts out the alternator too.
Operate the switch and the engine stops.

Where is the switch physically located?

Regs state that it has to be operable by the driver, which means that most people mount it on the trans tunnel or dash. But on our MX5s there is a nice convenient run to the driver side cowl area where a switch could be located, but fails that reg. Hence this thread about remote switches etc.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue May 01, 2018 5:15 am

Consider the Cartek electronic isolator. The kill switches are push buttons not pull cables. Very simple to install and you can add additional kill buttons as required.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am

Magpie wrote:Consider the Cartek electronic isolator. The kill switches are push buttons not pull cables. Very simple to install and you can add additional kill buttons as required.

I’m 99% sure I’ll use the Tyco relay, as often used by Gary Rowe etc. The Cartek isolator is a ground break, which often lets the engine run on with alternator, and so needs secondary breakers etc. the Tyco does main circuit break so the alternator can be fed into the cold side for breaking.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am

takai wrote: The Cartek isolator is a ground break, which often lets the engine run on with alternator, and so needs secondary breakers etc.
WRONG my engine will NOT run on the alternator, how do I know well because I HAVE one...

Yes it performs the battery disconnection function by breaking the connection between the NEGATIVE battery terminal and CHASSIS/EARTH. For cars equipped with an alternator, the Battery Isolator needs to kill the engine by sending a signal to the engine ECU or electronic Power Distribution Module (PDM) or by shutting down the main engine relay.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue May 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Magpie wrote:
takai wrote: The Cartek isolator is a ground break, which often lets the engine run on with alternator, and so needs secondary breakers etc.
WRONG my engine will NOT run on the alternator, how do I know well because I HAVE one...

Yes it performs the battery disconnection function by breaking the connection between the NEGATIVE battery terminal and CHASSIS/EARTH. For cars equipped with an alternator, the Battery Isolator needs to kill the engine by sending a signal to the engine ECU or electronic Power Distribution Module (PDM) or by shutting down the main engine relay.

As I said. Secondary breaker for the ECU.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”