Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SKYHI Motorsport - The journey towards WTAC

Postby SKYHI » Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have noticed my change of username from TCR to SKYHI. I am essentially 'rebranding' in an attempt to build some sort of social media profile, which will hopefully help reach my ultimate goal of competing in the World Time Attack Challenge.

This thread will document my journey towards that goal, covering our exploits on and off the track, and our successes and failures along the way. I will also keep my Garage Chat thread updated with details regarding the development of the car as we go. If you feel like supporting our cause and following our journey, then click on the following links, and if you see us track side, make sure to come and say hi.

Thanks, Paul.

https://www.facebook.com/SKYHI.Motorsport/?view_public_for=603711959984753

https://www.instagram.com/skyhi.motorsport/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5aHa_H6W1t-3RITVN8iofQ?view_as=subscriber

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: SKYHI Motorsport - The journey towards WTAC

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am

That's awesome, good luck!

Does this mean the SE won't be a street car for much longer?

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Good luck as well! Will you be watching at WTAC this year? If so stop in and say hi!

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri May 25, 2018 12:40 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:That's awesome, good luck!

Does this mean the SE won't be a street car for much longer?

The ultimate goal will be the Clubsprint Class at WTAC, but I will try and retain it's 'streetability' for as long as possible, as it comes in handy for road testing, bedding in brakes, heat cycling tyres and getting to wheel alignments etc.

The plan this year is to compete in the Street Class in the QLD Time Attack Series at Lakeside Raceway, so it will definitely remain a "street car" for the remainder of the year at least. Hoping we can do enough to win our class, which will hopefully give me some cred towards our WTAC entry next year when entries open. We have already missed the first round, so will need to put it all together for the final 4 rounds. Will hopefully do one or two rounds at QR as well.

Magpie wrote:Good luck as well! Will you be watching at WTAC this year? If so stop in and say hi!

Don't think we'll make WTAC this year, as we head over to the States for a holiday on the 16th of September and won't be back until the 1st of October.
At the very least, I'll be eagerly watching the Live stream to keep an eye on you and the rest of the competition. :) Next year just happens to coincide with a big birthday around the time of WTAC, so that is even more incentive to make it happen.

I don't ever think we'll be competitive in Clubsprint as I just don't have the budget at this stage, but I have always managed to punch above my weight in my other cars, and enjoy that sort of challenge. As you know, It's more about just being part of an event like this.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 pm

How come you're going to time attack route instead of getting into some racing again?

Should look at going into Pro Am - just as much chance as wining, but you get more track time haha.
Cheers,
plohl

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 am

There's a couple of reasons I've gone down the Time Attack path.

Firstly, I've been fortunate enough to have done most of the racing events locally available to amateur. From sprint races, to the 1 hour races, to the 300km endurance races, and I've raced on most of the race tracks on the East coast of Australia, so I've already ticked off most of the racing boxes.

Secondly, I've always enjoyed getting the most of driver and car, and striving for the perfect lap. I have always done pretty well in a qualifying type situation, and more often than not, ended up further up the grid than I should have. I enjoy punching above my weight in my budget built car, and taking to guys who have spent a lot more.

Thirdly, I've always liked the idea of developing a car and driver over a long period, and seeing the improvements in lap times. I'm hoping to get into some data analysis as well, which is something else I've always had an interest in, and this will help me improve the car, my driving and my lap times.

Time Attack offers me the opportunity to start with a lightly modified street car, and work my way up to WTAC Pro Am if I really want to, and ticks all the boxes I'm looking for at the moment. It will be a long journey, but I'm excited about actually keeping a car for a long term and seeing where it leads us.

SKYHI Motorsport - The sky's the limit :)

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

As mentioned in a previous post reply, our intention this year to concentrate on competing in the Street Class of the QLD Time Attack series held at Lakeside Raceway. We've missed the first round, so need to put together some decent results in the other 4 rounds to get a decent result. The second round, and our first outing, is on the 9th of June. Would have liked some more time to prepare the car, but we can't afford to miss this one, so we'll just head out and see how we go.

https://www.facebook.com/events/776358789228525/

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

So we had out first 'shakedown' at Lakeside Raceway on Saturday in the Time Attack series.

I knew the car was a bit under prepared, but I didn't take into account just how under prepared I was going to be. It had been nearly two years since I last ran at lakeside in the Lakeside 300, and only the second time since then that I'd dríven a car on any track, but I wasn't expecting to be so rusty behind the wheel. The first two session were full of bad lines, braking points and not being able to find gears, very ordinary indeed :shock: Part of the problem was the seating position which isn't ideal for the positioning of the gear shift lever, so I may look to tweak it a bit. Never the less, by the 3rd session I had gathered myself up, began to slow things down, and look further down the track, and I started to get some rhythm again.

On the car front, the car wasn't too bad. As expected the car was very soft given the MCA Blues, standard sway bars and rubber bushings, so there's work to be done there. The car balance wasn't too bad, but it was hard to get a really good read on things given I wasn't game to push it too hard being it's first time out, and also given Lakeside's reputation for eating cars. Mechanically though the car ran faultlessly, thanks to Nitro Danns work on the car.

My best lap for the session was our last lap of the day, with a 1.03.02, which is exactly what I predicted in my build thread. I think I could have found a few tenths had we gotten a fifth session, but unfortunately a couple of offs in other groups denied us that opportunity. Overall though I think we ended up finishing second in class on the day, by just 3 tenths, and we drove the car home in one piece, so all in all it was a good day out.

We have quite a few little things to work on, but I'm hoping to get out to QR for the Time Attack event there on the 12th of July, as that will be the place where I can push a little harder to get some real feel on the car balance.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Glad to hear the day went fairly well. (any day at Lakeside without meeting a wall is a good day :mrgreen: )

Sorry I didn't make it out to say Hi, for some reason I thought it was on Sunday, then I saw you post on FB on Saturday that all went well :oops:

I feel like a 1:03:xx at Lakeside is still a pretty good time, right? A little bit of suspension upgrades and you'll be in 1st.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Yeah, I'm not ashamed of a 63.0, especially for my first time out in the car, and such minimal modifications :) Was surprised to be only 3 tenths away from taking out the class to be honest. There's a lot more time to be had, and I reckon we can get it down into the low to mid 61s on the AD08R tyres. Some of the time will be in the suspension, just need to work out my priorities on what to upgrade first.The rest of the time will be seat time and maximizing what we already have.
Last edited by SKYHI on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Nice my best is a 63.8317 (on AD08R's) at Lakeside. I like the fact you could drive it there and back! Depending on work I may see you on 12/07 at QR.

How is the movement in the gear stick? Some of your gear selection issues could be caused by worn engine/diff mounts.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Magpie wrote:Nice my best is a 63.8317 (on AD08R's) at Lakeside. I like the fact you could drive it there and back!

That's the advantage of a turbo street car 8) Go fast, stay roadworthy :D

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Magpie wrote:Nice my best is a 63.8317 (on AD08R's) at Lakeside. I like the fact you could drive it there and back! Depending on work I may see you on 12/07 at QR.

How is the movement in the gear stick? Some of your gear selection issues could be caused by worn engine/diff mounts.

Thanks Magpie. I'm going to try and stay 'trailerless' for as long as possible :) Would be good to catch up if we both make it out on the 12th.

I initially thought the issue might be the the flex of the gearbox under load that was causing the selection issues, but as it turns out, it was just me being ham fisted and trying to shift too quickly with a selection pattern I wasn't used to. I'd never dríven with a 6 speed box on the track before, and that in combination with slightly compromised seating position meant I just wasn't getting it right. Once i slowed down and got use to it, the shifter slotted in without any issues. it has brand new Mazdaspeed engine mounts, but I believe the diff mounts are still oem with 110ks on them as far as I know.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:
Magpie wrote:Nice my best is a 63.8317 (on AD08R's) at Lakeside. I like the fact you could drive it there and back!

That's the advantage of a turbo street car 8) Go fast, stay roadworthy :D

It has its pros and cons ;)

I'm not sure what power Magpie has, I think around 200hp atw from memory? If so, we would be pretty much even in terms of power to weight given his lighter car.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 am

So we officially finished second in class in our first event, which puts us fourth overall at this stage. With every one having to drop their worst round, we're still in the hunt if we can get a couple of wins in the next three rounds.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”