Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Snowy River Sprint

Postby Nuddy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 am

Caution - long.

Snowy River Sprint
my first Tarmac Rally

After nearly 40 years away from motorsport I came back last year doing some circuit supersprints and then a season and a half of circuit racing with MX-5 Cup and MRA’s SuperTT.
Testing the water with the Targa High Country Tour in November confirmed to me that I wanted to do some Tarmac Rallies.
So I entered the Snowy River Sprint, round 1 of the 2018/19 AASA Australian Tarmac Rally Championship, run by Mountain Motorsports.
At the time of preliminary entry I had my black MX-5 with a welded in cams approved half cage. Thus I entered the ‘SuperSports’ category – limited to a max’speed of 130 km/h.
By July I had my Red MX-5 with a CAMS approved welded in Full Cage. This allowed me to upgrade my entry to ‘SuperSports+’ with a max’ speed of 140 km/h or even to the Full Competition (not speed limited) category of ‘Modern 2WD’. I chose the SuperSports+ category thinking that the 140 km/h limit would suit the MX-5 nicely, giving an advantage over the faster more powerful cars.
Since Steve,my navigator from 1972 (we’re getting the band back together), was due to be overseas for SRS, Mountain Motorsports Director Peter Washington asked Smoothline Notes Director Bernie Webb to find me a ‘one night stand’ (well 3 days actually).
Tristan normally drives a Renault Megane in these events but has done some navigating and has lots of experience with pace notes (I have none). So we met briefly in at the end of July and agreed to team up for the event.
So to Friday and the recce. We used Tristan’s Falcon ute for my intro to pacenotes. SRS uses a stretch of road running between Buchan and Orbost, runnig first from Buchan to Ostlers Rd near Orbost then turn around and back to Buchan. The road is divided into stages, different each time it is used, making 19 stages over 2 days. We go to the south each morning and back to Buchan for lunch then south and back again each afternoon.
On Friday we headed out to Buchan and I drove the course in Tristan’s ute while he introduced me to pacenotes. Down and back slowly then to Buchan Valley Roadhouse for lunch. While there we noted what we thought was an LPG bowser. More on that later.
End of part One
Part Two.
After lunch I upped the pace a little on the southbound run to be closer to realistic about the pacenotes. I was starting to get the hang of it. Turned around and heading back towards Buchan I upped it a bit more, Keeping to the correct side of the road and below the speed limit but starting to get a feel for the difference between a 3 and a 9.
The ute gives a warning beep when the fuel range gets down to 80 km. This came shortly after the turnaround. About 10 km later we got the 40km beep and Tristan suggested we take it easy from then on to be sure we got back to Buchan before running out of gas. We got back to the Roadhouse with the range at 17 km, only to find that what we thought was a LPG bowser was a diesel bowser.
LPG is available at Lakes Entrance, 54 km away!
Driving for max’ economy and holding up traffic doing 80 in a 100 zone we hit zero range with still 28 km to Lakes entrance.
When a LPG fuelled vehicle runs out of fuel there’s no jerry can to the rescue. It means a tow truck is required. We were discussing options. Who’s got a trailer that will take the Ute? Mine just fits the MX-5. How will we get back to Lakes Entrance – hitch a ride? No idle conversation on that 28 km, no jokes nor anecdotes, silence was king.
Needless to say we made it. 28 km on zero range. We won’t try that again.
After filling up documentation and scrutineering went smoothly as did dinner at The Central with Kerry and ‘Killer”.
Up early on Saturday morning and up to Buchan again, me in MX-5 and Tristan in my Patrol with fuel and spares. Up there in time to set up and then have brekkie at the Roadhouse, got a call from Kerrie and ‘Killer”. They were in the Celica at The Central (Lakes Entrance) ready to start and wondering where everyone else was. They made it to Buchan just in time to start SS1.
We lined up at the start of the first stage , second last to start with Mark and Lacy in the WRX just in front and just the Civic with Stuart and Mike behind.
Hurry up and wait. The event started and soon stopped as Andrew and Chris in the Lotus made it through the first corner but not the second. Car badly damaged but fortunately Driver and Navigator both unharmed. Well clear of the road so the event could continue.
Eventually we got to the front of the queue and my first taste of Tarmac Rally competition began.
End of part 2.
Part 3.
And this is where the story really starts:
SS1 off to a conservative start after hearing about the Lotus and it being my first real experience of pacenotes. Gradually increasing the pace and very soon it was obvious that the 140 km/h limit was a problem. I found myself having to watch the speedo when I should have been watching the road. Rev limiter in 3rd gear is 113 and in 4th it is well over 140 so as soon as I got into 4th I had to watch and a 250 metre straight had me backing off. After 3 stages, at the turn around and wait, I was feeling frustrated with SuperSports + and determined to apply to upgrade my entry at the lunch break. 3 more fun but frustrating stages and we were back at Buchan for lunch/refuel/service. Around 9 seconds/stage slower than Ash and Ryan in the MX-5 NB was satisfying considering the 140 limit.
My car has all the safety equipment required for full competition and I was relieved that Mountain Motorsports and AASA approved my application to upgrade to Full Competition – Modern 2WD.
After lunch 3 more stages each way saw a significant improvement driver confidence and in stage times. Now I’m really in the game!
Saturday evening dinner at The Central was fun. Great food and company.
Sunday – rain. Quite wet in the morning, fairly slippery. I was taking it easy. Much drier in the afternoon for the 2 long stages, I passed a Corvette.
What a fabulous event. I thoroughly enjoyed it – every minute.
Thanks to Tristan, Mountain Motorsports and AASA.
Now bring on GTR.
PS advice to anyone entering or thinking of entering in SuperSports – go to full competition if you possibly can.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

legume
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Snowy River Sprint

Postby legume » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks for that Nuddy. I really enjoyed reading that.

david_syd_au
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Snowy River Sprint

Postby david_syd_au » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the write-up Paul.
It sounds like a great experience. Good on you for having a go.
2011 NC LE "Black Beauty" (ours) | 2006 NC race car "Shazza" (his) | 1998 JDM NB race car "OMG" (hers) | NC Trailer

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”