AGI Roll Bar for NC - Interest?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

AGI Roll Bar for NC - Interest?

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm gauging if there is an interest in having AGI make a 4 Point Roll Bar for track NC's with a hardtop.

I spoke to Adam from AGI about a roll cage for an NC with removable hardtop similar to what they sell for the NB and he said they don’t currently do one but if 3 people were willing to commit to buying one they’d look at the business case and consider doing the development required (he estimated ~80hrs work) to build a roll bar for the NC. I said that there seemed to be a lot more NC's getting out on track so maybe there is an interest he isn't aware of.

For those that don’t know I previously had an NC with a soft top which I installed a Brown Davis roll bar into, when we installed the hardtop we found out it wouldn’t fit so I had to have a custom weld in 4 point roll cage made to suit my requirements.

Fast forward to now when I have a new NC and I want a CAMS compliant 4 point which fits under a hardtop but I’d prefer a bolt in if I can get one as I'll be driving this car more on the street than my previous one.

I would be happy for my car to be the mule which is used for the development if I can get people who are interested

For this to suit you you should know that you need to:
- Remove the Soft Top in it’s entirety
- Get a removable hardtop (or be happy getting wet)

If you are interested please reply below or send me a PM, I’m sure you would be expected to pay some money to AGI to prove your interest if they were to develop this to show you are serious as well.

Here is what the NB 4 point hard top roll bar looks like which they sell for $850 (link - http://www.agi-precision.com.au/product/a-mazda-mx-5-nb-hard-top-4pt-bolt-in/):

Blackbird Fabworx already make a bolt in for the NC in the US which they call the ‘GT3’ so it’s definitely doable:
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: AGI Roll Bar for NC - Interest?

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:38 pm

What's the cost to import one? Cost for AGI or an import may be the same?

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:09 pm

bruce wrote:What's the cost to import one? Cost for AGI or an import may be the same?

Nah it would cost a bomb and it would probably be cheaper to have a custom bolt in built compared to the cost of importing one since they are large.

That's before mentioning you need it to be CAMS complaint to be suitable for racing which is the standard AGI build their roll bars to (in the US they build to SCCA compliance).
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Okey dokey.

Nuddy
Fast Driver

Postby Nuddy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Any news on this?
I'm interested in a bolt in 6 point full cage for a NC.
The back half would be the same as this
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Nuddy wrote:Any news on this?
I'm interested in a bolt in 6 point full cage for a NC.
The back half would be the same as this

Hey Paul, haven't chased this up as I've been travelling a lot for work at the moment but I have 3 people who want this already including me and I guess that's 4 if you were included so should be enough interest to get this off the ground (just need to get deposits from people.

Happy if you want to ask AGI yourself about a full cage to see what they say.

Nuddy
Fast Driver

Postby Nuddy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Dan
I will get onto them about it. They could use my weld in half cage as a pattern for the bolt in.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”