Want to try a Track Day, don't know where to start?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Want to try a Track Day, don't know where to start?

Postby beavis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:36 am

For any of you that have considered taking your MX-5 to a track day but haven't mustered up the guts to give it a go - this video is for you.

A step by step guide to getting started with track days!

I've tailored this for the Aussie competitor, so it includes specifics about CAMS and licence requirements, car compliance, etc, all to suit the most common track/sprint events we see here in Aus.

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Want to try a Track Day, don't know where to start?

Postby smy0003 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Nice one Beavis, watched this the other day.
I think I did a come and try day through MSCA/CAMS which was cheap and we were babied through the whole thing.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 pm

smy0003 wrote:Nice one Beavis, watched this the other day.
I think I did a come and try day through MSCA/CAMS which was cheap and we were babied through the whole thing.

Although the video caters for the more common Club Sprint track day, there are a few good un-timed or come and try events, plus driver training days, or even private club events that often make track driving more accessible and easier for the newcomer.
These often do not require the same levels of licences or car club memberships - but usually at a higher cost for the more prestigious or private events.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Excellent video! Ridiculous how many snouts are in the trough in Australia. In most other countries you just book online and rock up to the drivers briefing with a helmet and long sleeves and trousers.

There are some ways to do this without having to go through the hassles of a club organised event.

In QLD you can do General Test days once or twice a month at places like Lakeside Park near Brisbane. For these you only need a driving licence and something called a Racers licence which is a bit of a misnomer because anyone can get one, you don't need to be racing and it costs about $65 for a year.

The General Test days are usually half days and terrifice value at $120 so they are very good value. You get open pit lane so can simply do as many or as few laps as you like without having to wait for gaps in traffic etc. If there are lots of cars then the organisers will split the groups into sessions but you still get far more track time than at most other events.

You also don't need to be a member of a club or hold any type of CAMs licence. There's no scrutineering and a very simple drivers briefing to attend.
There's also no official timing but with the advent of phone lap timers you can time yourself if you download RaceChrono or similar onto your phone.

Of course you won't be surrounded by same make cars but you can always organise a few mates to meet up with.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”