Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

RileyR
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Simple brake and throttle trace?

Postby RileyR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering if any one knows of a si.ple product or solution to getting data on brake and throttle trace.

I would think that a brake and throttle trace could be attained from a device that measures (and logs) the distance between the pedal and the firewall. Or the angle of the pedal.

Is there a product out there for that?

I use simple old racechrono and a gps tracker. Na8 so no obd2 port.

Any one got a simple solution?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
1996 BRG NA8

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Simple brake and throttle trace?

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Brake - use the switch that activates the brake lights. This will be just on/off.

or https://www.instructables.com/id/Low-cost-string-pot-displacement-transducer/

This is another solution

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am

The brake switch is a good idea (it was my first thought when I saw your post, along with a duplicate TPS feeding the Racechrono), working on the basis that you are either on (full) or off the brakes. It could be useful for analysing brake events into corners that require hard braking, in conjunction with GPS identification of braking points. However is very limited in what it tells you. A brake pressure sensor in the line will tell you a whole lot more, but even a brake switch 'sensor' can raise questions such as 'why am I touching the brakes there?', or 'why, if I am on the brakes here, is the 'g' not rising until there?'

How accurate is your GPS sensor? If you are talking old/cheap, it probably isn't very accurate. Upgrading that to get better accuracy would be my first step, ahead of the brake/throttle inputs. Accurate and precise GPS/accelerometer data will tell you pretty much all you need to know, at a basic level, about what is happening and where with your braking and acceleration, lines and corner speed. Break it up into track sectors, and with the sector timing you have a great analysis tool. Get the basics right, adding to a flawed or limited tool is not going to set you up for the future.

Good luck

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

RileyR
Fast Driver

Postby RileyR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for the help!

I have a decent gps receiver and seems to be fairly accurate most of the time. Sometimes I can see it can be a bit innacurate though.

I like the idea of using the brake lights is a source. Maybe i could run a small light to my tombestone thats wired into a brake light. That way when i am analising footage I can see more clearly when brakes are being applied.

Apart from that, I might have to continue just listening to the engine for accelerator inputs and using the gps data for the rest

1996 BRG NA8

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm

greenMachine wrote:A brake pressure sensor
Is not cheap nor simple :)

The light on the dash for brake being captured by the video is very handy (simple and cheap).

There is a switch on the accelerator pedal for WOT, you could also wire a light to this. But again it will only tell you when at WOT.

An alternative would be to make a segmented LED display together with a cheap string potentiometer to light up similar to shift lights.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Doesn't sound like an easy thing to do.
What do the big teams use? Work backwards from that?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:00 pm

bruce wrote:Doesn't sound like an easy thing to do. What do the big teams use? Work backwards from that?

The OP has asked for "simple product or solution to getting data on brake and throttle trace" big teams do not do this, they have big budgets and engineers to analyse the data collected.

Solution:
Motec C1812 Dash
i2 Pro data analysis software
Honeywell MLH pressure sensor (0-2000 psi)

RileyR
Fast Driver

Postby RileyR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Magpie wrote:
greenMachine wrote:A brake pressure sensor
Is not cheap nor simple :)

The light on the dash for brake being captured by the video is very handy (simple and cheap).

There is a switch on the accelerator pedal for WOT, you could also wire a light to this. But again it will only tell you when at WOT.

An alternative would be to make a segmented LED display together with a cheap string potentiometer to light up similar to shift lights.

Ill have a look for the switch on the accelerator pedal tomorrow!

I like the led idea like shift lights. Im a terrible electrician but will definitely have a look into how it might be possible

1996 BRG NA8

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”