Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: QFM in Liquidation ???

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Well, now I change my mind on QFM A1RM.

On the front of the NC they fell apart :!:
Keep an eye on them if you have them in your car as well.
That is after 4 club track days(SMSP South, Winton Long, Marulan and Wakefield), 1 ARDC track day(SMSP GP), 1 regularity (Marulan) and 2 wet motorkhanas/skidpans.

Its not the wear rate that is concerning but what they did.
The pads literally disintegrated when they were down to their last 30% of material.
The friction material cracked apart on 3 of the pads leaving behind some pieces on the plate.
On 1 pad the whole friction material was missing all together. Clean gone. Pretty sure it happened on my cool down lap.

I have read about this happening, but mainly people with heavy AWD monsters.
Strangely on my sisters Kia ProCee'd, which is much heavier, quicker down the straights, longer braking zones and runs with much higher brake temps, this did not happen. A few chunks around the edges broken away, which i have seen on many pads, but they did not fall apart.

The only real difference is the NC has slotted rotors.

Would not buy again, not that is possible anyway.
Still going to run the rears for now, as I have only had 2 to 2.5mm of wear so far and there is no signs of them going to crack apart at all.

I had some used Carbotech AX6's and Mazda OEM pads I used on the last trackday at Wakefield.
Yes 1 Carbotech and 1 Mazda Pad per rotor as I only had 3 Carbotech pads. I actually started the day with 1 Carbotech and 1 QFM per rotor, as 1 QFM pad broke the trackday before which I did not know until close to the last track day while moving wheels around. That would be the pictured pad.
This setup was better than the QFM's. Well at least the Carbotechs, I could smell the Mazda pads roasting.

I have Winmax W3's arriving in the post which I ordered the day I found the first broken pad.
Currently Winmax is 15% off from spares box.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”