QFM in Liquidation ???

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

QFM in Liquidation ???

Postby CrazyRacer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 am

Has anyone heard anything about QFM going into liquidation?

Their website no longer exists and then I found this...

NOTICE OF APPOINTMENT AS LIQUIDATOR
Company: Queensland Friction Materials Pty Ltd
ACN: 103 013 814
Appointment Date: 31 October 2019

Notice is given that at a general meeting of the members of the Company held on 31 October 2019, it was resolved that the Company be wound up and that Jarvis Lee Archer be appointed liquidator(s).

https://insolvencynotices.asic.gov.au/browsesearch-notices/notice-details/Queensland-Friction-Materials-Pty-Ltd-103013814/7c1e9394-b068-4dfe-bbd5-2b26a25fc369

That's a shame as they made some decent well priced track day pads. Hopefully someone buys them out and continues to make their products.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: QFM in Liquidation ???

Postby Red_Bullet » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 am

Yes, it is a shame. Gotta rethink my rear pad choice.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Hmmm
There goes my cheap NC track pads.

Currently have their pads on my NC2. A1RM's to be exact.
Never would have bought them myself but they were given to me with the car in new boxes. Worked well at SMSP South and Pheasant Wood. I would say just as good or better than Carbotech AX6 or GLOC R6, at a much cheaper price point. Would buy them again for sure if I can.

I have not promoted them much when people ask what I am using in the NC2 as the pad material was 2mm short of what they should be. From memory it was like 8mm of material on the fronts and 7.5 on the rear brand new out of the boxes. You feel a bit gypped not getting the full 10mm.
I tried contacting QFM in October/November last year about this to let them know and they never responded.
Now I know why.
Last edited by Luke on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Might be a good opportunity to stock up? Even if they rob you a couple of mm, if the price point still provides value?

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:47 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Might be a good opportunity to stock up? Even if they rob you a couple of mm, if the price point still provides value?

Sure does.

I have been in conversation with brakesdirect lately for my Sisters Kia as it has taken over a month for a pad order as they were not in stock. This time I ordered REMSA for her as she keeps complaining about the squealing noises from the QFM A1RMs for road use. Those A1RMs have been absolutely cooked on track though.

Just slipped in a question to brakesdirect what they know about QFM's current status as they are a major seller for QFM.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 am

decent well priced racing pads.

there is the key to the bankruptcy.

if there is not enough profit margin......eventually things go south.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 am

Luke wrote:Just slipped in a question to brakesdirect what they know about QFM's current status as they are a major seller for QFM.

If you go to the "QFM Performance Brake Pads" page on Facebook all of the contact details are for BrakesDirect. Made me wonder if they had bought the QFM brand name from the liquidators. But then that page doesn't really look like its been updated for years, so who knows????

Will be interested to hear what BrakesDirect come back with.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:03 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Might be a good opportunity to stock up? Even if they rob you a couple of mm, if the price point still provides value?

No QFM A1RM for NA8 on Brakes Direct site. Sad. Had hoped to stock up on rear pads, I run PFC-11 on the front and they are really expensive, the A1RM on the rear helped to offset cost of the fronts. They play quite nicely together. My car eats A1RM on the front at the track, they crumble and fall to bits.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Luke wrote:Hmmm

Never would have bought them myself but they were given to me with the car in new boxes. Worked well at SMSP South and Pheasant Wood. I would say just as good or better than Carbotech AX6 or GLOC R6, at a much cheaper price point. Would buy them again for sure if I can.

I have not promoted them much when people ask what I am using in the NC2 as the pad material was 2mm short of what they should be. From memory it was like 8mm of material on the fronts and 7.5 on the rear brand new out of the boxes. You feel a bit gypped not getting the full 10mm.
I tried contacting QFM in October/November last year about this to let them know and they never responded.
Now I know why.

Try EBC Yellow, big improvement over the QFM’s
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32 pm

Well according to Brakes Direct, QFM died in late August 2019.

They have over 400 sets of pads left in stock for various cars, apparently mostly less common fitments for various cars, just not what I want. :(
They do have a set of HPX for the NC which I am not interested in.

Custardtart wrote:
Luke wrote:Hmmm

Now I know why.

Try EBC Yellow, big improvement over the QFM’s

EBC Yellow is a pad I have always avoided due to interweb reviews comparing them unfavourably with Hawk and Carbotech pads.
They seem much cheaper now that they are more commonly available in the US.
I can get them for $210 shipped from Amazon.
I know an equivalent set of Carbotech or GLOC's will cost me circa >$300.

Don't need anything yet, so I will keep my eyes open.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Luke wrote:EBC Yellow is a pad I have always avoided due to interweb reviews comparing them unfavourably with Hawk and Carbotech pads.

I hadn't used EBC Yellow until the Tassie in Two Days event a few years ago, where I'd be doing 1000+ km of road driving (Thanks SpiritOfTassie :evil: ) so wouldnt have any discs left if I used my usual Hawk Blues. And not really wanting to have to swap pads in/out so went for a compromise.
I went with EBC yellow, as had heard enough good reports to risk it for a mostly road, some track pad.

On road they had good bite cold , and good solid, stopping power during quickish road driving.

Track use however found them seriously wanting, and by lap 3 at symmons plains, they had become pseudo-ABS. ie no matter how hard you pushed the pedal you couldnt lock the brakes. So I'd give them a 10/10 for road & semi-quick track use, but not much good for more serious track use..
The following visit to Tassie I used the std pads on road and swapped the hawks in/out for track, and the swap was way worth it.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 pm

rascal wrote:
Luke wrote:EBC Yellow is a pad I have always avoided due to interweb reviews comparing them unfavourably with Hawk and Carbotech pads.

I hadn't used EBC Yellow until the Tassie in Two Days event a few years ago, where I'd be doing 1000+ km of road driving (Thanks SpiritOfTassie :evil: ) so wouldnt have any discs left if I used my usual Hawk Blues. And not really wanting to have to swap pads in/out so went for a compromise.
I went with EBC yellow, as had heard enough good reports to risk it for a mostly road, some track pad.

On road they had good bite cold , and good solid, stopping power during quickish road driving.

Track use however found them seriously wanting, and by lap 3 at symmons plains, they had become pseudo-ABS. ie no matter how hard you pushed the pedal you couldnt lock the brakes. So I'd give them a 10/10 for road & semi-quick track use, but not much good for more serious track use..
The following visit to Tassie I used the std pads on road and swapped the hawks in/out for track, and the swap was way worth it.

Good enough for 10 consecutive 62’s at Lakeside without a hint of fade (as part of a twenty lap stint) in a road car ie. a fair bit heavier than a race car. Also the pad of choice in the UK MX5 cup so maybe you got a duff set as 3 laps seems far too little to cook pads. Admittedly I’m a bit biased as I was sponsored by them for ten years.
Lakeside 62.3

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Custardtart wrote:Good enough for 10 consecutive 62’s at Lakeside without a hint of fade (as part of a twenty lap stint) in a road car ie. a fair bit heavier than a race car. Also the pad of choice in the UK MX5 cup so maybe you got a duff set as 3 laps seems far too little to cook pads.

Yeah, Maybe.......
Admittedly it’s the only time I’ve used them so a sample size of one isn’t exactly enough to form any conclusive arguments.
Nevertheless it was enough for me to never risk it again, so I’ll just swap pads again for future tassie visits.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am

rascal wrote:
Custardtart wrote:Good enough for 10 consecutive 62’s at Lakeside without a hint of fade (as part of a twenty lap stint) in a road car ie. a fair bit heavier than a race car. Also the pad of choice in the UK MX5 cup so maybe you got a duff set as 3 laps seems far too little to cook pads.

Yeah, Maybe.......
Admittedly it’s the only time I’ve used them so a sample size of one isn’t exactly enough to form any conclusive arguments.
Nevertheless it was enough for me to never risk it again, so I’ll just swap pads again for future tassie visits.

What pads did you go for? I'm going to see how I go at Lakeside in the upcoming Prod Sports race meeting 14/15th March, 3 x 15 laps races should highlight any issues.
Lakeside 62.3

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:50 am

rascal wrote:The following visit to Tassie I used the std pads on road and swapped the hawks in/out for track,

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”