Problem with AiM SoloDL2

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Problem with AiM SoloDL2

Postby greenMachine » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:16 pm

I think I may have been one of the first to buy one of the new SoloDL2s when they became available.

First problem was that, contrary to what the promo said, the '1000s' of compatible ECUs were not compatible, the new OS used required all the ECU protocols to be ported across, a process that took some months. I reckon there was the makings of a misleading advertising case there, but that is history now.

The second problem to emerge was that the unit just didn't want to talk to the ECU via serial (no CAN available). Nothing the distributor suggested worked. With Covid and other issues, the problem was put on the backburner, until this last week. The Autronic guru came up, and along with some other jobs, spent a full day working on this problem, with nil result. He consulted other dash gurus, including ones that had installed working AiM dashes, but nothing worked. We know the serial works at the Autronic end, because that is how it is tuned. The SoloDL2 has the latest firmware.

We are now looking at the Solo, as maybe the problem lies inside it, not outside. Before going back to the distributor ...

1. Does anyone know any current generation (since mid-2018) AiM Solo2DL or MxM users who have (or had) any connection problems?

2. Is there anyone out there with one of these devices that would be willing to plug in my device to see if it connects?

I am pretty much over this, but I have a decent investment in it and I would like to get it up and running.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Re: Problem with AiM SoloDL2

Postby GR124 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am

Hi GM,
I just bought an AIM MXS 1.2 Strada. After some fluffing around it talked to my Elite 1500, I think it was our error with the CANBUS connection so I can't blame AIM.
I have had some question during the configuration process. If you are on FB get onto the "Aim Sport Users Group" full of questions and answers.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks GR, I try to avoid the social media thing, but as I am down to pursuing last resort avenues, it would be worth a shot. I'll have a look there tonight. My problem is with the serial connection, I think I will be knocking on Ron's door soon. I take it you got your MXS from him?

Is that a logger dash? I was interested in the MXM, but it was taking too long to arrive, and was a bit expensive for what I wanted (mainly as a logger), so I pulled the trigger on the Solo. As outlined above, it has not been a good experience to date.

Build thread

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm

If I ever make it to another club track day, I'll bring the laptop and my Solo(1) and see if that works on your ECU and your Solo2 on my Adaptronic (also serial).
I assume you saw on the AiM website the Autronic loom/pin warning on page 3: https://aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/racing/Autronic_SM4+SM4_V1.08+SM4_V1.09_103_eng.pdf
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Gold strike!

Postby greenMachine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Bugger me RR! I'll have to check with the tuner and he will have to check with the Autronic guru, but you may have hit the mother lode there.

I got mine in August 2018, so we should have been fine using the old instructions, BUT that is just too close for comfort. I can't find a date as to when they went up, it may well have been some time well after the changeover date. It is highly unlikely that the SoloDL1 would have had a change so late in its life, so that changeover must surely relate to the introduction of the new SoloDL2. That would explain why people who know their way around this gear were bamboozled.

I'll have to check my emails, but I wonder when Ron the local distributor sent me the connection info, which we of course were using.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:48 am

A closer reading of the warning indicates that it was a labelling change, rather than a wiring change. The wiring seems the same, except that the -2 has a centre pin for RPM that the first gen lacks.

Unit is being boxed up for return to the distributor today, for checking out the connection is ok.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am

Update after chat with distributor yesterday.

It appears to be an internal problem, a conflict or disconnect between FW and SW.

This is a major relief to the highly competent people who have been working on it, and following instructions, wondering 'WTF have I done wrong, it still isn't working?'.. Not a great reflection on the distributor who kept insisting that we only had to follow instructions and all would be well.

Note: This issue relates to the serial connection.  It is not yet clear if this is a generic serial issue, or if it relates to the Autronic only.  I will attempt to clarify this next time I talk to the distributor, but in the meantime, if you want to use a new gen AiM device on serial, tread carefully, VERY carefully.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 am

Another phone convo with the distributor yesterday, thought I'd get an update in case everyone took off for the school hols!

Seems the engineers back home in the Vatican reckon that it will work with SM4 v1.11, which begs the question why all the AiM documentation talks about v1.09 and obviously this small detail was not known to the distributor or he would surely have mentioned it in the course of the numerous phone calls and emails I and others have exchanged with him trying to get it to work. Will discuss this with the tuner who installed the ecu, but I am nervous about going to another version that might fix one problem, but raise other issues that have been dealt with in tuning the earlier version or even brand new issues.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Still waiting on a fix. Reading between the lines, I suspect the mothership is saying that the new gen OS dashes are working with Autronic, so no problemo, it will work in the Solo! But OS implementation is different in SDL2 ...

Distributor is going to ship a new SoloDL2 to Autronic, and get them to test Ver1.09, 1.11 and 1.12 on the SDL2, see if any of them work. It seems the new dashes work with V1.11 and/or 1.12.

We already know V1.09 doesn't work on my unit, maybe my unit has some issue though and it will work on another (later production) unit. Unlikely V1.11 or V1.12 will work if V1.09 doesn't, as the Autronic serial implantation is the same on all three versions. But we will see ...

Soon be three years :shock: :cry:

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Thanks to GR's suggestion, I posted on the dreaded BF user group, they were no help at all (seems to be run by/used by dealers in the US). However, when I tried to post a Q asking for email contacts in Italy, the mods pulled the Q, but supplied the answer.

Long story short, the mothership is now involved, that has energised the local distributor (funny, that :roll: ) and maybe all this enthusiasm will actually achieve something. Main issue seems to supply issues which means a replacement unit/replacement component (motherboards etc) are in short supply.

Plan is still for distributor to get my Solo with new internals, or just a new unit, to Autronic to test the communication protocols of all the Autronic f/w versions, and take it from there.

The clock is still ticking though.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Yes it really is a Problem with AiM SoloDL2

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:35 pm

greenMachine wrote:Plan is still for distributor to get my Solo with new internals, or just a new unit, to Autronic to test the communication protocols of all the Autronic f/w versions, and take it from there.

So the distributor gutted my unit, replaced with all new electronics, and sent it off. Result: no talkee to Autronic, the issue is in the Solo.

It is now up to the mother ship to fix the problem, but at least it has confirmed everything that I and the other people involved in trying to get this working have been saying all along. Small consolotaion, but right now I'll take what I can get!!

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:04 pm

I hesitate to get my hopes up, but a phone call today produced a surprising result. A fix has been found and implemented, the unit's hardware has been modified, and tested OK. It will be shipped to me next week. Purchased in July 2018, over three years later is now (probably) working.

I am a bit apprehensive about both durability and integration with the Race Studio analysis software, but I am not going to look this gift horse in the mouth - I am going to have to assume the fix is complete and that everything is going to work as the script says. I am looking forward to that!

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Well, took the unit down to Marulan for the 25th anniversary track day. My first track day for four years :shock: 8)

Finally, success! The SDL2 talks to the Autronic, and gets data from it as well as generating its own data.

This brings to a close a long saga, one that was made all the more difficult and unpleasant by the repeated intransigence and refusal to listen to the users displayed by the local AiM agent. I can only say avoid AiM products like the plague. We only got attention when I went over his head and complained to head office in Italy.

I note that recent FW updates talk about improving some of the handshaking between the ecu and the AiM device(s), I am guessing that is what was behind our difficulties.

Now I just have to get on top of the AiM data analysis software ...

Build thread

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:31 am

Glad it's all sorted. 4 years between track days hey? I think that's about what I'm up to as well. Was going to go to Marulan but the wifes birthday/weekend away takes precedence over club stuff.
Shame about the local Aim dealer. It's always so difficult with software dríven equipment. They'll say I'm just a "reseller" not the program writer but that doesn't absolve him of his duties. The way it's been handled but Aim is very disappointing and seen all too often with other companies (I used to deal a lot with camera manufacturers...don't get me started on Nikon and bluetooth... :? )

I was very interested in the SoloDL2. Writeable CAN channels and all that. But after your experience, now I'm thinking I might hang onto the DL1 for lap timing duties and get a PLEX USDm as a permanent display setup.
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:15 am

Yes, I think he/AiM could have done a much better job.

If your SDL is working ok, why change? If you want a dash then I understand, but I would be looking for a logger dash rather than a dash and Solo regardless of whether you upgrade to the SDL2 or not. I doubt you would have the same problem as me upgrading the Solo, but I would strongly advise talking to someone who has the same ecu working with the SDL2 before pulling the trigger, just to be sure. Same with the Plex, about which I know nothing.

I would be looking first at an AEM dash, but I haven't done much research on them.

The advantage of using an AiM logger dash (or the SDL/SDL2) is that you can keep using the Race Studio analytic software, you don't need to use (and learn) a new piece of software. I don't know if you can import files from other brands into RS2 or 3, that would be worth checking if mixing brands.

I don't want to tell people to never use AiM, just that if you are new to AiM, or even upgrading within AiM, be very careful - find someone using the same products as you are/intend, eg Haltech Elite/AiM MxM dash. Don't be the pioneer, you might get burnt like me!

Marulan was a good day, greasy but the forecast rain didn't arrive. Nobody hit the wall as far as I know.

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”