Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Lotus Elise Seat Mount GB EOI

Postby StillIC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 am

Update:
I have finally completed all the bending (well a sheety did it for me), and am now doing the installation of the encapsulated fasteners (rivnuts). I should end up with 6 seats of version 2.1 and probably 4 seats of version 2.0 (but these have some compromises). This step should be complete by the weekend, as it involves re-drilling each laser cut hole as the laser cutter was not quite accurate enough to nail the required dimension.

Jobs remaining that I would prefer buyers to do themselves include removal of sharp edges, prep and paint. If those expressing interest to date are willing to do these final 2 steps then I can provide bases at a price of $120 per seat plus postage from Newcastle, which covers my direct costs of laser cutting, bending, all fasteners and a tool to install the rivnuts.

More soon.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

I'm still in, and can work a file and a spray can :mrgreen:

I'll PM you. A few guys up here in Brisbane are keen, so we might combine the shipment to save on freight costs as much as possible.

7171simon
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby 7171simon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm interested in a driver / passenger set.
Whatever's still available would be fantastic?
For me I think it is the way to go, though I'm still looking out for the Lotus seats...

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 pm

OK. I have completed 6 x V2.1 and 4 x V2.0 seat mounts.

Those who expressed interest, in order, include:
ManiacLachy (4 mounts)
IanR (2 mounts)
Rolley (1 mount)
Max (2 mounts)
7171Simon (2 mounts)

The above list totals 11 mounts, which is obviously 1 more than I currently have. Please confirm your interest and quantity and I will restate the list as a function of responses (if people drop out), and go ahead and start getting quotes for postage etc. I will PM those who don't respond soon. Thanks.

7171simon
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby 7171simon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm still in - x2

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Confirmed, still in for 4 mounts.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Various PMs sent. Check your inboxes please.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Max and 7171Simon,

You both have a PM waiting for you in your inbox.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 pm

FITTING INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Remove all sharp edges from the laser cuts on the steel, especially the main section where it comes into contact with the seat, including outer edges and cut slots and holes.
2) Measure your seat rail distances on your Mazda seat and using the shortest included M8 screws and nuts, place them on the bracket at the same distance (finger tight). Note: the passenger seat will use a hole and a slot. The driver's seat slots only.
3) Carefully attach the front support member to the studs on the underside of the front of the Elise seat. Use 2 M8 nuts back to back on the bracket for small adjustment later. Finger tighten only.
4) Carefully slide the seat and attached front support into the main bracket. Use slightly longer M8 screws to attach the front support to the middle slots of the adjustment holes/slots, through into the nutserts. Finger tight only still.
5) Screw the 7/16 screws into the pivot position at the side of the seat.
6) Place a mudguard washer between the top curved slotted section of the main bracket and the top back M8 thread in the seat. Carefully wind it in, which will slightly twist and bend (elastically) the rear support of the seat.
7) Test fit and adjust as necessary.
8) Prep and paint and refit in the same location you deemed comfortable.
9) Provide feedback please...any issues fitting? Adjustment range reasonable fore/aft and rake? Other?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:49 am

I finally got around to attempting my mount fitting this weekend. Unfortunately I hit some snags, most likely due to differences between various years Lotus made the seats. I could fix them with a drill, but first I wanted to check in, make sure it isn't user error!

First, the front support member holes were a little too wide. I had to extend the holes towards the centre slightly, only a few mill.

But the big issue for me is the rivnuts on the front support do not line up with the main frame.

I guess the only thing I could really get wrong is mounting the front support, but I couldn't find another way that would go on, and a photo on page 1 of this thread has it looking like this I think.

I could extend the slotted holes as needed, but if I have messed something up, please let me know.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

For some reason the photos are not displaying on my screen. I have a grey circle with a horizontal bar in it.

But I know what you mean about the slots to mount the front support to the front of the seat. Every seat I have measured is different, with the slots covering the range of widths I have measured between the studs. It sounds like the studs on your seats extend that range in the narrow direction. Yes, extend the slots in this case. Please let me know your stud to stud centre distance and I will update my models to suit.

In the case of the rivnuts not aligning with the slots/holes in the base, this is a surprise. The four seats I have had have all been the same in this regard. Yes, extend the slots if you have to. Perhaps try keeping all the fasteners loose until everything fits, then tighten them all as a last step. How far out are the holes compared to the rivnuts? Is it on back to front? The bent edge along the front support should go at the back of the support when mounted. And the front support should mount with the wings (with the rivnuts) pointing up so it almost wraps around the front of the seat. Please see the photos at the beginning of the thread.

Lotus: Designed by the British :) but built by the British :(.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

They aren't showing up for me now either, but I'm on the work computer now and those photos are linked from my Google Photos account, and that's blocked here at work. Let's try Imgur.

I think the front support is as you say, but as you can see, the rivets are about a 3/4 of a hole off towards the rear. Which is enough to make me wonder if I messed up.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Hmmm. It appears that Lotus has been playing with the front stud position on the seat (I am speculating). The answer maybe one of the following:
1) Reposition the holes for the studs further back on the front support to bring the rivnuts into line with the holes. This may be difficult as the holes might overlap with exisiting holes thus weakening the structure. Probably not possible now that I look at the photos.
2) Slot the holes in the main frame to match the rivnuts. This will look a bit ugly but should work and be structurally sound.
3) The second best solution would probably be to laser cut a new front support . If you can provide mm measurements of inaccuracy I can remodel and have cut and bent and attach rivnuts.
4) The best solution would be to remodel the main frame to move the holes/slots back to meet the rivnuts. This will cost a bit more but be the best quality solution. Happy to discuss who pays and how much.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm

PS: You didn't mess up. Lotus did.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks for confirming I'm not a blunder-head (in this case at least), it's good to get a second opinion sometimes :mrgreen:

I'll just extend the holes on the main frame, as per option 2. Once it's all together I'll take measurements for you so if you do another run you can include the allowance for seats like mine.

I really like the design, compared to the Flipside Customs mounts; the fitting and assembling is quite straight forward, with these I can set the main frame up on the rails in the car without the seat. The ability to set the seat at different angles is awesome, and the mounts position the seat further back on the rail, allowing the seat to travel closer to the rear wall giving much more leg room. It looks like I can even use my original NB seat rails.

Hope to report back next week with the completed install, well, one side at the least!

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”