What seats fit the NA’s

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: What seats fit the NA’s

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

He used to live only 10 mins from my place (his double garage was filled to the ceiling with rims and parts). He then moved up into the hills (literally). Can't imagine how much work it woulda taken to move his stock.

3gress
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby 3gress » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:19 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Although, I did mount mine using a couple of spacers on the front so as to give it a little more rake than normal

The spacer idea did the trick hks.
A little extra padding cut from a yoga mat and slid up behind the seat cushion has made the seat far more comfortable.
Having a heavy duty clutch, bad back and being a skinny bugger i found my bony spine would push through the rear seat cushioning and rub against the plastic shell.
Reinstalling the AZ1 seat (with spacers and extra padding) after toting about with the standard seat during the last couple of weeks has really proved how much more supportive the AZ1 bucket seat is.
The lower bolstering holds you well in place without making it too difficult to get in and out of and the upper bolstering is supportive enough whilst allowing for wider shoulders too.

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby slug_dub » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm

StanTheMan wrote:I think Rupe still owns that AZ1. Mind you last time I had any contact was about 2 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think one would have to prise the AZ-1 from Rupewrecht's cold dead hands. :lol:

I'm inclined to suggest that the NB8B seat (especially them leather SE ones!) is still the best for not taking up too much space or adding more height (which the Mazdaspeed ones do).
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:52 pm

3gress wrote:
hks_kansei wrote:Although, I did mount mine using a couple of spacers on the front so as to give it a little more rake than normal

The spacer idea did the trick hks.
A little extra padding cut from a yoga mat and slid up behind the seat cushion has made the seat far more comfortable.
Having a heavy duty clutch, bad back and being a skinny bugger i found my bony spine would push through the rear seat cushioning and rub against the plastic shell.
Reinstalling the AZ1 seat (with spacers and extra padding) after toting about with the standard seat during the last couple of weeks has really proved how much more supportive the AZ1 bucket seat is.
The lower bolstering holds you well in place without making it too difficult to get in and out of and the upper bolstering is supportive enough whilst allowing for wider shoulders too.

Do the AZ1 seats have the same weird plastic toboggan thing bolted behind the spinal cushion that the B spec ones do?

I know with my B spec ones I actually removed that since I found it was far too much lumbar, it was giving me back pain since it was in the wrong spot for me.

(although i'm a tall guy who carries a bit more weight than i'd like)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 pm

It did have a plastic piece inserted through the back of the cushion, I first believed it to be responsible for the discomfort and removed it.
While parked at the gap preparing for a hill run Keith (97mxv) suggested cutting a bit of my camping mat (stored in the boot) and wedging it in behind the lumbar area, it made a massive difference to comfort.

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 am

A pic of AZ1 seat installed on oem NA mx5 rails albeit with spacers to increase rake as per kansei's suggestion.
Much more comfortable and supportive now.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”