Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

aSimpleLife
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

NB 8A Window Clunk on the way up near the top

Postby aSimpleLife » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Well I post here about as much as I drive the car sadly :(
Anyway, for the past 4 or so years my electric drivers window developed a clunking sound right near the top on the way up. Not on the way down. This was after a few years of not having the clunk.
When it first started I thought I could see a black rubber vertical streak up the middle on the glass. But after lubricating it the first time that never returned. But the clunk remained. No better no worse. Very much a glass and metal type clunk...whatever that means.
Had 2 local mechanics look at it over the years but they both said it was likely to need replacement parts so wait until it breaks.
Have also watched every video I could find about removing the door trim and repairing various window issues.
But no one seemed to have the same problem as me. Usually the window had stopped working.
I am not the most mechanically gifted, so the possibility of pulling it apart and maybe not getting it back together was always preventing me making a start :)

Then last week after my latest lot of video viewing, I sat in the car for few minutes and mulling what part of the assembly could be causing the problem. For some reason I started winding the window up and down in small like 1" increments. Stop start up up up to the top and down down down to the bottom. Had done this a few times when I noticed the clunk seemed to have stopped. That sort of thing is usually too good to be true. But sure enough, when I started doing full up and downs the clunk has gone. What a bonus. And now a week later it is still clunk free.

I can only assume it must have had something to do with the cable? Maybe at some point it developed some slack which generated the clunk? And somehow the stop start process adjusted that back? I am sure I don't know. Maybe someone with more experience could offer a better explanation?
Anyway, thought I'd post the experience in case it might be of help to someone else in the future.

aSimpleLife
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: NB 8A Window Clunk on the way up near the top

Postby aSimpleLife » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:09 pm

I have some further information about what this problem probably originally was.
Posted in this new thread;

NB 8A Drivers Window won't fully close by 6mm
https://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78947

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”