any tips on fixing outward dents in rear panel?

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

any tips on fixing outward dents in rear panel?

Postby shirtz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 pm

hi guys, I have an NA im preparing for paint. looks like something in the boot has made a few dents in the PS rear panel and I was wondering any body guys had any tips other than hammer them in and apply bog :)

im new to body work and am finding the whole thing interesting, but its aint easy!

matt

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: any tips on fixing outward dents in rear panel?

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:57 pm

For an outward dent you'll essentially need to shrink the metal, which usually involved some heat, a hammer and dolly, cooling, and a lot of skill.

The basic concept is that a dent involves both the middle bit of the dent, where the object caused it, and the area surrounding it, where the metal has ever so slightly stretched out to allow a dent to form.
The goal is to un-stretch that metal, leaving the panel pretty damn close to un-dented.

as far as actually doing it, do some googling and watch a few videos, then have a shot.

Worst case scenario you'll not be able to do it cleanly, in which case you'll move onto plan-B, which is the old "filler'n'paint makes me the panelbeater I aint"

But yeah. have a crack at it anyway.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 am

Depends on size of dent- small dents can be pushed out by a pro dent man- dont hesitate to get a quote or 2- its by far the best way to do it. Hammering dents out is a recipe for disaster for amateurs because it usually stretches the metal and then it needs to be shrunk - pros may use oxy or they just do it gently and use panel beating equipment- you just will not learn the knack by someone telling you. Todays metal panels are thin and will deform very easily - if its stretched it has to be shrunk. Panel beating is very tricky. The prime way to learn about painting and panel beating is firstly read a book- i.e. photos and techniques and then may be take a look on U tube etc but it takes patience. They say practice with old panels but I doubt many folks actually take the advice. New paint also shows up imperfections so processes are all about careful preparation.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am

YouTube it.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:44 am

If you're looking for a paintless dent repair anywhere near Sydney don't bother, they'll all be busy for the next two years or so dealing with the aftermath of last week's hailstorm! :roll:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:09 pm

the guy is in Canberra apparently.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”