Indicator signal cancelling too easily

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Indicator signal cancelling too easily

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:28 am

Usually I can solve my issues with my Google-fu, but this time I'm coming up empty, so I've come to ask the hive mind hoping someone can help. I've enquired over at the big forum as well.

When I push the indicator stalk up, it clicks solidly into place and will self cancel after an appropriate turn. However when I push the stalk down it doesn't click into place fully (but cannot be pushed further), and will cancel with the slightest movement. I have to keep my hand on the stalk to maintain the signal while taking a turn.

I've had the steering wheel and clock spring off to look at the mechanism that performs the cancel. With everything off, the stalk clicks into place properly both ways. I can turn the mechanism by hand and active at the cancel in both ways and it's working correctly.

However, once the clock spring is re-installed the issue appears. The clock spring sandwiches everything together, and is preventing the stalk from engaging properly when pressed down. I assume it's an alignment issue, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. :?:

Anyone have any insights?

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Re: Indicator signal cancelling too easily

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Pretend you're a BMW driver and don't bother with the indicator? :|
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:04 pm

I had a feeling someone would answer along those lines :mrgreen:

But I would prefer it to be working correctly :DIY:

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Different car but last time I took one apart the clock spring self-destructed. Perhaps it is damaged, installed backwards or upside-down?

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”