NA Leather seat restoration

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Purfler
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA Leather seat restoration

Postby Purfler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 pm

The tan leather seats in my '93 NA LE, especially the drivers, are a bit sad. The driver's bolster has a tear. I'm looking at Leather Hero - anyone with experience using their DIY kits? Any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

TIm
1993 NA LE. 1968 Datsun 2000 Sports (SR311U) - in bits. Disclaimer: In this as in most other thing I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: NA Leather seat restoration

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:30 am

Benny on here always used to recommend Mr Sheen & he was in the leather business. Also snshami obtained a very good result restoring the tan seats on his 1997 Neo Green LE:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=46765&p=587541#p587541

Purfler
Fast Driver

Postby Purfler » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:11 am

Thanks very much. I'd heard of Leatherique, but had forgotten the name (age again). The damage on my driver's seat might be more than it is designed to deal with. Leather Hero says it can deal with my kind of damage. This is the example from their website (I don't seem able to inset a link that works to a photo of my seat)

Image.

I've emailed them with photos to seek their advice.

I'll report back.

Tim
Last edited by Purfler on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 NA LE. 1968 Datsun 2000 Sports (SR311U) - in bits. Disclaimer: In this as in most other thing I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:16 am

Really needs replacement. Anything else is just a temporary patch job. All it is is some kind of filler and paint.
I reckon maybe the foam bolster underneath would also need replacing which is usually a pro' job.

Purfler
Fast Driver

Postby Purfler » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:18 pm

I'm sure you are right Bruce, but looking at the costs to replace the leather covers when I'm about spend serious money on the Datsun doesn't quite work domestically at the moment :-)

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:07 pm

Purfler wrote:I'm sure you are right Bruce, but looking at the costs to replace the leather covers when I'm about spend serious money on the Datsun doesn't quite work domestically at the moment :-)

Talk about muddled priorities :shock: ! Spending serious money on a DATSUN :shock: :roll: :shock: What's your address, the taste police are in the van, they just want to know where to go ...

Jokes aside, that is why about 10 years ago I sold the Bugeyes. In 'barn find' condition, down to the bumpers, hubcaps and badges - even had the original steel bonnet and correct generator with working tach drive! I had owned it for 30-odd years, latterly with a view to 'going it up', but the reality was the money for that was going into the MX, and it would sit there until the kids inherited it. I still miss that car ... :cry:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”