What fitting is required to recharge my 96 NA's air con?

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

What fitting is required to recharge my 96 NA's air con?

Postby lonesailor » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:20 pm

I have worked in the HVAC industry for several years as a tech, but have never been involved in automotive aircon. I need to top up my Mazda's air con, I have the gas and the manifold but can't find out what fitting I need to access the suction line to connect the 1/4 SAE female fitting on my manifold. The access port has what appears to be a quick connect fitting on the outside and a 6 or 8mm female thread on the inside, there must also be a valve of some kind which is opened, I assume, by screwing in something down that thread but I can't work out how that would be done without losing a lot of gas. Can anybody let me know what sort of fitting I need and where to get one?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: What fitting is required to recharge my 96 NA's air con?

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:08 am

Following shows NA AC recharge, including connecting to the AC system: https://did-it-myself.com/recharging-ca ... ditioning/
If not enough detail then have a look on the big forum (Miata.net) including in the garage section: https://www.miata.net/garage/garageinterior.html

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:59 am

American cars might use a different gas/fitting?

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:36 am

I have searched the internet extensively and ,so fa,r have only seen one picture of adapter which look promising but they come as part of a kit and are fairly expensive. What I have seen in the US sites appear to me to be different, quite apart from the hassle of getting them here.(I have seen a U tube short recently that the US postal service, run still by the Trump appointee who tried to stop postal voting in the election, who is saying that they cannot now send mail to Australia. On closer inspection of the fitting on my car the adaptor screws into the threaded hole and a pin opens the valve, a separate clip on fitting must fit over it to contain the leak as it is screwed home. There are numerous fittings on E bay for this job on other cars but all are said to be incompatible with my 5. I may have to have someone else do it , knowing that they will insist on heaps of other work which I know is unnecessary, which annoys me enormously.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”