Looking to buy Seats

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Looking to buy Seats

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:47 pm

I have wide shoulders so seats like the Sparco Sprint are useless for me because by mack doesn't touch the rear of the seat due to my shoulder blades pushing on the outside edges.

I bought a 2nd-hand Car Make Corn seat years ago and could barely fit in it (my hips were in massive pain) but surprisingly the back was OK and lateral support good.
I think this seat was designed for those with a cartoon-style superhero physique, wider shoulders and narrow hips.
Luckily I sold it quickly for what I paid for it.
MINX sat in it and he too (he's got narrower hips and shoulders than me) found the seat too tight.
DON'T buy this seat unless you've sat in it and know that it's not too tight.

Those Luso-Motors RCC-Mk-7 look awesome (I love the look of the Lotus Exige seats) and even the padding looks good.
Any idea of their cost Lachlan?

When I bought my 2x Tillett B8 seats, they shipped in the same box (seats simply stacked with bubble-wrap between them) so it was much cheaper than sending them in 2x separate boxes.
The "box" was really two tall open-ended boxes and one slid over top of the other - they could have shipped up to 6x seats in them.
I'm making these points because to save on S&H you might find one or two others interested in purchasing seats that can be shipped in this manner, saving a LOT on S&H.
The good thing about the Tillett, Corbeau or Luso-Motors seats is that if you find you don't like them, someone else in Australia will because they're so rare - you may not get your S&H cost back but can demand the full cost of the seats.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:06 pm

Spooks4, those Lotus seats look like the owner has had his own custom upholstery made for them (I'm, betting he had a "British Racing Green" Lotus) and I agree with you that they do look revolting.
If you just re-coloured them black they may look better (or re-colour them black and re-make the centre piece).

Where are you located?
If you're in Brisbane you can borrow my seat mounts to copy them - I bought the seats off MINX and he had brackets welded to OEM slider rails (you can easily find a spare set of OEM slider rails from MX5-Plus).
As I mentioned before, the seat mount's floor bolt points aren't symmetrical to the steering wheel so the brackets need to allow for that.

Another tip Spooks4, DON'T post details like this (keep it vague) unless you've already bought the seats or decided you don't want them, you may get sniped given that they're rare and in demand.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Ugree.

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Lokiel wrote:Spooks4, those Lotus seats look like the owner has had his own custom upholstery made for them (I'm, betting he had a "British Racing Green" Lotus) and I agree with you that they do look revolting.
If you just re-coloured them black they may look better (or re-colour them black and re-make the centre piece).

Where are you located?
If you're in Brisbane you can borrow my seat mounts to copy them - I bought the seats off MINX and he had brackets welded to OEM slider rails (you can easily find a spare set of OEM slider rails from MX5-Plus).
As I mentioned before, the seat mount's floor bolt points aren't symmetrical to the steering wheel so the brackets need to allow for that.

Another tip Spooks4, DON'T post details like this (keep it vague) unless you've already bought the seats or decided you don't want them, you may get sniped given that they're rare and in demand.

I’m in NSW mate but I’ll see what’s out there regarding rails. Might get the help of my dad to make some brackets.

I think these seats in black are the go.

I agree I shouldn’t have been to sharing with them but I forget we are on the internet at the end of the day. Too trusting ;)

Thanks so much for all the info lads. It’s helped me out so much. Hopefully I can get these sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:40 pm

Lokiel wrote:I have wide shoulders so seats like the Sparco Sprint are useless for me because by mack doesn't touch the rear of the seat due to my shoulder blades pushing on the outside edges.

I bought a 2nd-hand Car Make Corn seat years ago and could barely fit in it (my hips were in massive pain) but surprisingly the back was OK and lateral support good.
I think this seat was designed for those with a cartoon-style superhero physique, wider shoulders and narrow hips.
Luckily I sold it quickly for what I paid for it.
MINX sat in it and he too (he's got narrower hips and shoulders than me) found the seat too tight.
DON'T buy this seat unless you've sat in it and know that it's not too tight.

Those Luso-Motors RCC-Mk-7 look awesome (I love the look of the Lotus Exige seats) and even the padding looks good.
Any idea of their cost Lachlan?

When I bought my 2x Tillett B8 seats, they shipped in the same box (seats simply stacked with bubble-wrap between them) so it was much cheaper than sending them in 2x separate boxes.
The "box" was really two tall open-ended boxes and one slid over top of the other - they could have shipped up to 6x seats in them.
I'm making these points because to save on S&H you might find one or two others interested in purchasing seats that can be shipped in this manner, saving a LOT on S&H.
The good thing about the Tillett, Corbeau or Luso-Motors seats is that if you find you don't like them, someone else in Australia will because they're so rare - you may not get your S&H cost back but can demand the full cost of the seats.

I have a 32" waist and the CMC seats fit me well. I agree you should try them first if possible.

Lusomotor Mk6 seats in line-x finish were 1050 euro for a pair shipped with relevant padding when I enquired back in April 2021

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:11 am

I expect re-upholstery will blow the budget - it's not cheap. But it could be worth it if you end up with the perfect seats for you.

Also, consider the foam, if those are series 1, they weren't Probax foam and will be quite tired and flat by now. Even my Probax seats are pretty much dead and could use some fresh stuffing.

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:08 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I expect re-upholstery will blow the budget - it's not cheap. But it could be worth it if you end up with the perfect seats for you.

Also, consider the foam, if those are series 1, they weren't Probax foam and will be quite tired and flat by now. Even my Probax seats are pretty much dead and could use some fresh stuffing.

Got a few contacts in the upholstering game, I’ll see what the go is.

But I agree, if it gets me the Perfects seats hopefully it’ll be a 1 and done ordeal.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:25 am

I reckon those tan centres are faux (or real!) ostrich skin. Man, that is an ugly colour combo. I'd only take them if they were free.

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:30 am

bruce wrote:I reckon those tan centres are faux (or real!) ostrich skin. Man, that is an ugly colour combo. I'd only take them if they were free.

Yeah might be able to talk him down, given my plan that would be super helpful.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:50 pm

To replace the centres is a total strip down of the seat cover, still a pricey endeavour.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:53 pm

Spooks4 wrote:snip...
I’m in NSW mate but I’ll see what’s out there regarding rails. Might get the help of my dad to make some brackets.

I think these seats in black are the go.

I agree I shouldn’t have been to sharing with them but I forget we are on the internet at the end of the day. Too trusting ;)

Thanks so much for all the info lads. It’s helped me out so much. Hopefully I can get these sorted.

You should talk to the guy who made these:
https://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76814&hilit=elise

He may have some left in his shed. Maybe only one, but he could have a look.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:07 pm

In regard to an earlier question about sourcing Lotus seats, I simply hung around on the Elise forum for a few months while the guys there got used to me, then started buying their second hand seats when they went to carbon fibre Tillets. The Elise mob also have the occasional group buy of Elise racing seats and I jumped on one of those too.

https://aussieelises.com/

PS: The Cairns seats are advertised on the forum for $850.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:24 am

StillIC wrote:In regard to an earlier question about sourcing Lotus seats, I simply hung around on the Elise forum for a few months while the guys there got used to me, then started buying their second hand seats when they went to carbon fibre Tillets. The Elise mob also have the occasional group buy of Elise racing seats and I jumped on one of those too.

https://aussieelises.com/

PS: The Cairns seats are advertised on the forum for $850.

Luckily I have someone in the lotus community on the look out for me. Currently have someone lined up to get there Exige seats (which I hope fit the mx5 still).

Anyone know if the exige seats fit okay? Are they a different size?.

Thanks for the tip though, hopefully I get a good deal on something.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Oh, so no love for the S2000 seats. :(
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:55 am

well they were not mentioned until now. are they quite similar to the Rx8 seats? Id imagine they'd be similar to the Mazspoeed sea
t. great touring seat
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”