Repair Options

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Repair Options

Postby Lokiel » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:33 pm

I took a days leave on Monday because Buzz was booked early into Newstead Mazda for an Urgent Vehicle Recall fix for Mazda3 BKs which required the steering wheel's air bag cover to be replaced.

While waiting, I walked to the Gasworks complex for breakfast and gave Boss wreckers in Hemant a call to see if they had any Mazda3 BK hatchbacks available. They had 5x in stock but are no longer open on weekends so, after getting the car back from Mazda, I went home to grab some tools and went to Boss wreckers.

It was stinking hot and humid on Monday and I was already knackered from just walking to Gasworks, killing time looking around by foot and returning to Mazda. It was even hotter at Boss wreckers.

There was only one decent passenger-side rear door, it requires repainting due to surface scratches and is from a Black Mazda3 hatchback, the remaining two doors I needed on the other cars weren't salvageable.
The driver-side rear door of the black Mazda3 was in excellent condition.

This got me thinking, do I:

1. Just buy the left rear door and get it paint-matched yellow to the car, or
2. Buy both rear doors and get the passenger-side rear door painted Brilliant Black - no paint matching required and it'll make Buzz look even more like a Bee :P

I decided to get both doors to keep my options open and stripped them down to the door skins only.
It took me ages to figure out how to get the first window out without breaking it - you need to remove ALL the trim inside the window frame and the rail that the window slides down.
There were a couple of other trim pieces I found too to replace my worn out bits.

All up it cost me $250 for 2x rear door skins and some trim pieces.

The anal part of me says to paint-match the single rear door but the practical and childish side of me tells me to paint it black since it'll be cheaper and look more like a bee.

Either way, re-sale value has no impact on this decision due to Buzz's age and I plan to continue using Buzz as a DD until EVs become cheaper.

I can always keep my eyes open for a bright yellow door if I go the the black option.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

rpost77
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rpost77 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:10 am

I took a days leave on Monday because Buzz was booked early into Newstead Mazda for an Urgent Vehicle Recall fix for Mazda3 BKs which required the steering wheel's air bag cover to be replaced.

OT for your issues - I have a 2008 BK Mazda 3 Maxx Sport (great car - like you will be hanging onto it until an electric car replaces it - >10 years plan at this point).

I have not heard of or been contacted about this recall - will be goggling it now - but any info you have regarding this would be helpful.

rpost77
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rpost77 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:22 am

Nevermind - the Google came through and I see that the issue is related to 2003 - 2006 models.

As mine is 2008 it is not affected.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:52 am

They would be bare doors. Door skins are only the actual outer skin, no frame, etc.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:31 pm

^
I stand corrected!

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 pm

Lokiel, what route did you end up taking?

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:53 pm

I ended up buying a door-skin from Boss wreckers.
It's black so will need re-painting and I'll just get it painted yellow - not concerned about perfect paint matching.
I WAS going to do it myself but I just don't have the time (or want to do anything much this summer in Brisbane, the heat and humidity just kill me) so will need to find someone to do it.
At the end of last year, everyone was flat out so I'll need to "do the rounds again" - if anyone has a good recommendation, please let me know.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 am

Most mechanics and panel shops just came back to work recently (they tend to take a month off over Xmas). I don't think the busy-ness is going away anytime soon. I'd just hand it to them and let them take their time with it, probably take a month or two.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”