Rust Prevention products for the rear sills??

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

magenb
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Rust Prevention products for the rear sills??

Postby magenb » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:14 am

So, I managed to get a clean NB and want to keep it that way. What are people using to keep those pain spots rust free?

I see people from overseas use cavity wax, but that seems to be rather difficult to get hold of here.
I've also seen fish oil products, but sounds like it doesn't last very long....

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Rust Prevention products for the rear sills??

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:04 pm

We don't salt our roads, so avoid the worst of the dreaded tin worm as found o/s, but if your car is parked exposed close to the coast the airborne salt can get to it.

If that is you, it might be worth doing something, I have used fish oil on BMC steel in the past given its susceptibility to rust. Otherwise I'd leave well enough alone.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:30 pm

What area do you mean by rear sills?
There are no drain holes there, except for the soft top (give those a prod occasionally).

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:01 am

Here in Oz keeping the soft-top drain pipes either side is usually enough to preserve the rear sills unless you're parked on the street by the sea most days. Re fish oil, not sure what it's like these days, but had it professionally applied to a car some years ago & there was nothing impermanent about it, including the odour, which wasn't too bad, although it did soften the interior paint a bit.

magenb
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby magenb » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 am

There are 2 drain holes at the scissor jack points, both front and back. It's easier to see how the front ones work, if you pop the hood and follow the drain trough, there is a hole that goes into the fenders, dirt, leaves and stuff collect and trap moisture in there, which then rots it from the inside out.

As far as I've been able to find, the rear drain holes for the soft-top rain rails, also get full of crap but overflows into the rear sills.

In both cases it eats it from the inside, so, by the time you can see it, its too late...

This video shows the problem with the front, not sure how good his fix was.
https://youtu.be/_ZCOl3U4uGU

This video shows how to inspect the rear.
https://youtu.be/frP_w7oRavo

The first 10-15 mins of this one goes over all the places our cars tend to rust.
https://youtu.be/PHrR9j7gNjY

I've just gone through the process to find a clean NB, so I can tell you that you don't need to live near a beach to get rust in these cars... The more leaf litter and rain you have to deal with, the high chances of finding it under the carpet near the fuel pump, the boot is a common one as no one thinks to replace the rubber seals and check on the bottom of the doors....

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:23 pm

Re the drain holes in the front sills, again keep them clean by removing the plastic guard behind the front wheels & hosing it out so you don't get a build-up, & avoid parking under any trees that drop stuff to minimise build-up. Same with the bottom of the doors, you need to keep those drain holes clear. Problems in the boot area can also be caused by the wrong or leaking batteries, & top of fuel can be a problem on those cars with the top always left down while parked. You just have to keep on top of all the potential vulnerabilities.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:01 pm

The usual old car problems...

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”