Cracking Radiator

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

CJ5

Cracking Radiator

Postby CJ5 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 pm

hey, just noticed the plastic pipe bit (sorry i am very mechanically retarded) at the top of the radiator has some cracking/stress marks... is this a sign of things to come?

Time for a new radiator? :( or can that top bit be replaced alone?

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Cracking Radiator

Postby Garry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:28 pm

You can replace the top plastic bit but it's not all that much more expensive to get a full alloy radiator from Mania. As a reference I think my new top tank was a bit over $200 supplied and fitted after I removed the radiator from the car and took it to the guy.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

CJ5

Cracking Radiator

Postby CJ5 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Garry wrote:You can replace the top plastic bit but it's not all that much more expensive to get a full alloy radiator from Mania. As a reference I think my new top tank was a bit over $200 supplied and fitted after I removed the radiator from the car and took it to the guy.

considering i'd have to pay postage to get it over here, do you think it'd be worth it? or should i just ring round n get the top tank replaced

Garry
Speed Racer

Cracking Radiator

Postby Garry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:42 pm

It depends on the condition of the rest of the radiator. Luckily mine was in good nick. It was also an SP radiator and the guy that designed the SP cooling system recomended not to fit a thicker one (like Mania's) to an SP as it reduces the cooling system efficiency. So in my case it was a new radiator from Mazda *shudder* or getting mine repaired. Do a ring around and see what the prices are like in your area for new vs repair.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

Steampunk
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Cracking Radiator

Postby Steampunk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Around $80 for replacement top tank and clean from Red Devil Radiators.
It's a value-for-money fix IF the person who replaced it sealed it correctly. Mine started leaking after about 8 months. :evil:

Why not hunt around for a second-hand, low-mileage one as the going rate is around $100 or less. Boyracer has a couple doesn't he?

Garry
Speed Racer

Cracking Radiator

Postby Garry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:02 pm

No idea how you got it done for $80. The tank alone for my car was around $150. The guy that did the job was shocked at the price of the tank. He said it was much more expensive than other cars he'd done. I rang several places and all were about the same money. Are NA top tanks cheaper to source?

GP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Cracking Radiator

Postby GP » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 pm

$100 for my Na top tank fitted :D
Graham

sliq
Speed Racer

Cracking Radiator

Postby sliq » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:14 pm

yup, give boyracer a bell.
i can't brain today.. i have the dumb..

CJ5

Cracking Radiator

Postby CJ5 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:31 pm

thanks guys! seen boyracer's radiators for sale before (even bought one of the elec. antennas!) but forgot abt em hahaha

he's selling the SE rad for $100 more than the standard ones.. you reckon its worth it? i spose WA is bloody hot, but i dont track race, really just 'spirited' drives and no plans to turbocharge any time soon.. future mods would be CAI and exhaust

the standard one clearly works fine, I am however installing a/c soon, with which comes another small radiator to go in front of the big one. (Also, because of this a/c install id rather not spend the $100 if i dont need to hahah)

So, opinions please!

sliq
Speed Racer

Cracking Radiator

Postby sliq » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm

i think the standard radiators should do fine.. i never had a problem on my oem one apart from the top tank going very brown/on the point of cracking. no material need for the SE ones, because as you aforementioned, you won't be taking the 5 down to the track.
i can't brain today.. i have the dumb..

Garry
Speed Racer

Cracking Radiator

Postby Garry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:25 pm

$100 for my Na top tank fitted

I must have had to pay the Sydney surcharge then. :(

mx52nv
Purple Porsche Eater
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Cracking Radiator

Postby mx52nv » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:54 pm

If you can afford it then I see no reason why you would not get an SE radiator 8)

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Cracking Radiator

Postby Okibi » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:44 am

Try e-mail Simon Corston (his e-mail address is on the W.A. club website) he may still have a spare SE radiator.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

CJ5

Cracking Radiator

Postby CJ5 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Okibi wrote:Try e-mail Simon Corston (his e-mail address is on the W.A. club website) he may still have a spare SE radiator.

Thanks okibi! he does, and its miiine :)

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”