DIY 100K Service

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

SLO_NA
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: DIY 100K Service

Postby SLO_NA » Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 pm

I managed to do the 100k service myself with the help of my dad and it only took a few hours, not worth paying the labour fee that mx5mania charge for it imho as if you do it you can go slow and do a proper job along with using the money you just saved and do other things such as fuel filter, injector clean, head gasket, coolant reroute or an engine seal refresh. Just get the mania kit and opt for the 'Gates racing belt' and genuine NOK seals as it's not much more and will save you the headache of leaking seals. Also noticed when we did the service that the GMB waterpump supplied was the stamped and welded one which apparently is not as good as the cast one Gates make which according to the US forum cause cavitation?
2005 MX-5 SE Turbo
2001 RX-7 Type RS
2002 RX-7 Spirit R Type B
2010 RX-8 S2 GT
2009 RX-8 S2 Luxury
2014 GT86
1996 MX-5 LE
1988 LN106 Hilux

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 pm

The radiator in the car isn't that old and has somewhat surprisingly being holding up pretty well at the track. We only do 3 or 4 hot laps in each time attack session, so I guess that helps. I think I might leave it for now and monitor temps with the Shadow Dash App I recently bought to see how what temps we're seeing on track.

I'm reasonably confident of being able to do the service myself, given that it's not my daily driver and I have the time to take it slowly. I noticed that the Mania kit doesn't have the option to upgrade the water pump to a genuine Mazda one, but they do supply them at $210 vs the $89 GMB one supplied in the kit. Is the GMB one ok, or would it be worth paying the difference to have the genuine Mazda one supplied with the kit?

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 pm

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 pm

SKYHI wrote: the $89 GMB one supplied in the kit. Is the GMB one ok, or would it be worth paying the difference to have the genuine Mazda one supplied with the kit?

GMB are OEM for a lot of companies, i've used them for years without issue.

To be honest, it's not out of the question that the genuine Mazda one is a GMB product in a Mazda box (not certain who Mazda used for pumps these days)

But yeah, i'd just use the GMB.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm

hks_kansei wrote:
SKYHI wrote: the $89 GMB one supplied in the kit. Is the GMB one ok, or would it be worth paying the difference to have the genuine Mazda one supplied with the kit?

GMB are OEM for a lot of companies, i've used them for years without issue.

To be honest, it's not out of the question that the genuine Mazda one is a GMB product in a Mazda box (not certain who Mazda used for pumps these days)

But yeah, i'd just use the GMB.

Ok, thanks :)

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue May 07, 2019 2:20 pm

The bottom line is that quality is built into a product. It does not come about by accident. The serious OEM suppliers all have formal control systems and actually practise what they preach. If you take a look at the GMB web site its looks like a very competent organisation. Mazda and many other OEMs often do not divulge who their component suppliers are though some products do have manufacturers logo or name - e.g. headlamps are often Koito for Japan but you will not be able to buy direct.

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm

I was going to make a new thread for the same question with the addition of asking if its cheaper to buy all the pieces separately via ebay?

my na8 has 225 and no idea about service history.

As an FYI I did an NA6 before and I found the crankshaft seal tricky ( I hade to made a tool to get the bolt off) and timing was a bit scary, but just take your time. I didn't have a timing light but perhaps using one at the end may inspire some confidence?

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Fri May 31, 2019 11:05 am

anyone?

StanTheMan
Forum legend

DIY 100K Service

Postby StanTheMan » Fri May 31, 2019 11:24 am

How hard is it to do the numbers. Kits are available from all over the place. I usually get all that stuff from the UK cause it’s cheaper.
Mania charge $314 for the full kit plus postage
Mx5 parts UK $227 but it doesn’t come with a water pump. I’ve never bothered to get kits from ebay
Figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”