Project: MegaSquirt build

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

jules
Guitar Hero
Vehicle: NA6

Postby jules » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:36 pm

No, I mean I think the L8 has been superseeded by the L10???

Jules
Founder of the Gold Coast Chapter of the Honourable Brothers of Dodgy.

The Pupat
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby The Pupat » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:03 pm

nah can still buy an LT8... well it's still on the site as available, but it's 100 buck more for a LT10 so it'd nearly be a case of being made not to get the upgrade.

Ohh and I just checked with a mate you need to run external ignters with the LT series now. but the microwreck ones aren't dear (150) and they are strong as fark supposedly. The bits between the ECU and spark plug are still a bit of a black art to me though... I need to do a bit of research.
'92, Red, Hardtop, Noisy CAI, Even more Noisy Exhaust, AVO Shocks with TJR Springs (Not so Fuli drifto speco).

Steve 818

Re:

Postby Steve 818 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:52 pm

The Pupat wrote:
I dunno about that, a LTX8 is about a grand and will do those things, and you don't have to assemble it.

Mate, the whole point behind the Megasquirt is the fact that you CAN do it yourself.

It's not a question of HAVING to assemble it, it's a desire some people have to WANT to assemble it.

sabretooth
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby sabretooth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Exactly. I'd love a megasquirt primarily because I built it, I know what makes it tick and have full control. A MegaSquirt is something I'd contemplate further down the track - despite having an aftermarket ECU already.

Just like things like my voltage switch, all of my car maintenance - half of the fun for me is doing and learning it myself.

ampz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby ampz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 pm

It would be ablast to build it yourself.

Finding the time to do it all would be the biggest challenge for me :frown:

Oh, that and finding an mx5... it still eludes me :cry:
Huh?

jules
Guitar Hero

Postby jules » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:34 pm

'Cmon Sab. It's been 4 days???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jules

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:40 pm

The Pupat wrote:nah can still buy an LT8... well it's still on the site as available, but it's 100 buck more for a LT10 so it'd nearly be a case of being made not to get the upgrade.

Ohh and I just checked with a mate you need to run external ignters with the LT series now. but the microwreck ones aren't dear (150) and they are strong as fark supposedly. The bits between the ECU and spark plug are still a bit of a black art to me though... I need to do a bit of research.

You can buy an LT8 and it will run with stock ignighter. LT10 has more functions to controll accessories and additional features.

X4 ignighter box is an option not a neccessity, we are upgrading my setup to LT10 and X4 box to go with the new engine, I'll report back how it goes.

Back on this topic though, DAMN I admire teh skill and patience it must take to do it from go to whoa liek this!
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

timk
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby timk » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Work has been pretty crazy! Sorry for the lack of updates! I'm working tomorrow but I'll try update this thread tomorrow night.

AJ
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby AJ » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 pm

keep 'em comin' sab........i find this stuff fascinating :mrgreen:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often
XMX5 Rogues

Fatty
Speed Racer

Postby Fatty » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:12 pm

wow sabateur, this iis really great info!
is there muuch benefit in an aftermarket ecu for non turbo cars? seems most of the people that install new ecu's are doing it for boost control etc... is there much of a performance benefit for naturally aspirated cars?
if so, this seems like a very cost effective mod. and i know i can handle it...as a major part of my day job is building pcb's and assembling electronic gear!

Steve 818

Re:

Postby Steve 818 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Fatty wrote:wow sabateur, this iis really great info!
is there muuch benefit in an aftermarket ecu for non turbo cars? seems most of the people that install new ecu's are doing it for boost control etc... is there much of a performance benefit for naturally aspirated cars?
if so, this seems like a very cost effective mod. and i know i can handle it...as a major part of my day job is building pcb's and assembling electronic gear!

I'm running an aftermarket ECU on my N/A car. Once it's fully dyno tuned, I'm expecting to get about an extra 10 rwkw. In terms of bang for your bucks, a Megasquirt will give you more benefit than a CAI/exhaust and it will cost you less than a third of the price....

Of course if you already have the CAI/exhaust then you can make some pretty decent power out of the whole combo.

Fatty
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby Fatty » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Steve 818 wrote:
Fatty wrote:
Of course if you already have the CAI/exhaust then you can make some pretty decent power out of the whole combo.

haha, i do! :D

Steve 818

Re:

Postby Steve 818 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Fatty wrote:
haha, i do! :D

Then go for it!!

SileNceR
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby SileNceR » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:07 pm

you've got to remember to include the costs of the dyno tune tho...
HAD (sold 2010) 2000 Emerald Green Mica NB8B
NOW 2001 Brilliant Black NB8B
OTHER 2010 Mazda 3 BL MPS Luxury

jules
Guitar Hero

Postby jules » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 am

Hey Sab,

How's it looking?

Jules

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”