Skunk Ultra Street Mazda NA/NB Intake Manifold

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Skunk Ultra Street Mazda NA/NB Intake Manifold

Postby Alex 2550 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm

hi everyone,
Skunk2 now have an inlet manifold for us.
not sure if many people know about this but also just as a interest thing i thought i would throw it up.
https://skunk2.com/na-nb-mazda-miata-ul ... ifold.html

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Skunk Ultra Street Mazda NA/NB Intake Manifold

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Interesting, but noticing they don't list which engine or head its for, and the fitment section is blank.

Apart from the B6 and BP differences, there's also the BP high and low port heads to contend with.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm

General consensus I've been reading is wait for Trackspeed and 949 to do some testing and comparisons, between them they're going to swap it out against a few different intake manifolds on N/A and turbo cars.

I believe it should fit all 1.8's.

Oddly, the manifold has a 70mm opening for the throttle body, but Skunk 2's throttle body is 64mm :? Maybe they'll release a 70mm in time (and hopefully address the issues from the 64mm).

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm

one site i read said that its for the BP05 only but skunk2 list it as NA and NB so we will see.
interested in seeing what it does next to the NB8B flat top manifold which they didn't get in the U.S and get very excited over.
i have a flat top manifold for my build and can't say i would go selling it to upgrade to one of these because if it is better it won't be night and day better.
however in the U.S where flat tops are harder to get i can see a market for them and thats my thought on why they built it, not as a full race manifold but as an option over the flat top.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Apart from the B6 and BP differences, there's also the BP high and low port heads to contend with.
Clearly not for a B6 just by looking at it. You can see there is no cutout for the injectors like a B6 manifold has.

Also the double bolt holes suggest it is both of a BP-ZE and BP-4W. The 4W having the wider bolt pattern.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm

I think the double bolt holes look more like BP05 vs BP4W/BP-VE mounting options. In any case it looks pretty much the same shape as an NA8 manifold. Maybe you could do just as well tidying up one of those instead. :D

edit:corrected BP-ZE to BP-VE :oops:
’95 NA8

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Its true that the NA8 manifold is a very very good design already. It needs an adaptor plate for an NB head but Ive done it and it works really really well.

Auto + sell a nice billet plate around 350 by memory fits perfect.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:56 pm

I've done it too, Dann. Really happy with it, especially the big torque spread.

Alex, you really need to come and drive my car again with this setup.
’95 NA8

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 am

manga_blue wrote:I've done it too, Dann. Really happy with it, especially the big torque spread.

Alex, you really need to come and drive my car again with this setup.

ok Phil, you twisted my arm :D might try get up in the next couple weeks. ill let you know, would be great to catch up anyhow.

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:42 pm

When I moved from the stock NA8 intake manifold to the modified B18 Skunk2 I picked up massive amounts of power high up in the revs. The engine lost power pretty much everywhere south of 4500 but above that it pretty much gained an average of 20hp. I think the best gain was around 38hp at 7000rpm, 50hp with E85 but that was in a harmonic bump... All I changed on the car was the intake, throttle body, injectors and E85. I did port match the head to the manifold better than the stock NA8 intake so a bit would have been gained from that.

What this tells me is that a fully developed BP head flows more than the NA8 intake can supply... I doubt the manifold will help at all with a stock head where the flow is restricted at the valves or exhaust. If everywhere else is openned up so that the manifold is the restriction then these Skunk2 manifolds should help high end power considerably at the cost of lower and midrange power.

On a turbo build I assume you need to do less to the head to get them to work... how much though?
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Seems like reasonable logic to me. Good data too.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

cookie
Fast Driver

Re: RE: Re: Skunk Ultra Street Mazda NA/NB Intake Manifold

Postby cookie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 pm

madjak wrote:When I moved from the stock NA8 intake manifold to the modified B18 Skunk2 I picked up massive amounts of power high up in the revs. The engine lost power pretty much everywhere south of 4500 but above that it pretty much gained an average of 20hp. I think the best gain was around 38hp at 7000rpm, 50hp with E85 but that was in a harmonic bump... All I changed on the car was the intake, throttle body, injectors and E85. I did port match the head to the manifold better than the stock NA8 intake so a bit would have been gained from that.

What this tells me is that a fully developed BP head flows more than the NA8 intake can supply... I doubt the manifold will help at all with a stock head where the flow is restricted at the valves or exhaust. If everywhere else is openned up so that the manifold is the restriction then these Skunk2 manifolds should help high end power considerably at the cost of lower and midrange power.

On a turbo build I assume you need to do less to the head to get them to work... how much though?
I have a cleaned up, flow matched and rebuilt head but with stock sized valves. I also have the same manifold as you. Will be on 9.5:1 and e85. I also have 272 cam and sub, springs etc to add later. Only once it's dynoed we will know how this manifold works (or doesnt) with a stock head. (However the manifolds we have are way different to the bp05/bp4w offering being discussed)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

datfreak
Fast Driver

Re: RE: Re: Skunk Ultra Street Mazda NA/NB Intake Manifold

Postby datfreak » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am

Hey cookie. Did you get the std head with this manifold dynoed? I'm curious about results

cookie wrote:
madjak wrote:When I moved from the stock NA8 intake manifold to the modified B18 Skunk2 I picked up massive amounts of power high up in the revs. The engine lost power pretty much everywhere south of 4500 but above that it pretty much gained an average of 20hp. I think the best gain was around 38hp at 7000rpm, 50hp with E85 but that was in a harmonic bump... All I changed on the car was the intake, throttle body, injectors and E85. I did port match the head to the manifold better than the stock NA8 intake so a bit would have been gained from that.

I have a cleaned up, flow matched and rebuilt head but with stock sized valves. I also have the same manifold as you. Will be on 9.5:1 and e85. I also have 272 cam and sub, springs etc to add later. Only once it's dynoed we will know how this manifold works (or doesnt) with a stock head. (However the manifolds we have are way different to the bp05/bp4w offering being discussed)

cookie wrote:

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”