NA Stiff Clutch and Squeeking Slave Cylinder

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Wolfgang
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA Stiff Clutch and Squeeking Slave Cylinder

Postby Wolfgang » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 pm

I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes...

The clutch pedal on my NA6 is progressively getting stiffer and the slave cylinder is progressively getting squeekier. I did grease the slave cylinder pinion which helped but it only lasted a month at best before it went all stiff and squeeky again. No idea when or if the slave cylinder has beed replaced in the cars 250000kms. Do I just go ahead and replace the slave cylinder or are there other options to try first?

wasp47
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NA Stiff Clutch and Squeeking Slave Cylinder

Postby wasp47 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am

IMHO
Buy a kit, cheapest option, that has master cylinder, slave and braided line, wella, all fixed.MX5 Mania sells such a kit.
Cheers
Steven
ps if you do replace the master cylinder it is easier if you remove the drivers seat

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:00 am

Not convinced it's the slave cylinder - the clutch pedal stiffness sounds more like thrust bearing. Tell us some more about when it's noisy, ie motor running clutch pedal depressed or motor not running depressing clutch pedal.

Wolfgang
Fast Driver

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:48 pm

The clutch gets stiffer and squeekier as everything comes up to operating temperature, and only squeeks when the motor is running. When I greased the slave cylinder pinion it freed up and didn't squeek. The gearbox is a little noisy when cold with the clutch disengaged and I have also noticed that it can be reluctant to change up or down into gear even once the gearbox has come up to operating temperature. 2nd is the worst but I'm guessing that's worn syncros. What I do know is that whenever the clutch was changed it would of been OEM patrs because the car was only ever serviced by Mazda.

And yes, all fluids including the turret have been changed recently.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Probably costs nothing to get a clutch guy to take a look at it- they know about squeaks and abnormal symptoms of the clutch system. I would not replace anything without at least a diagnosis by someone who sees these things daily.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 pm

Wolfgang wrote:clutch gets stiffer and squeekier as everything comes up to operating temperature, and only squeeks when the motor is running.

Is squeaking with clutch pedal depressed, not depressed, or both?

Wolfgang
Fast Driver

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 pm

93_Clubman wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:clutch gets stiffer and squeekier as everything comes up to operating temperature, and only squeeks when the motor is running.

Is squeaking with clutch pedal depressed, not depressed, or both?

It only squeeks when the clutch pedal is moving, either up or down.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:13 am

Wolfgang wrote:It only squeeks when the clutch pedal is moving, either up or down.

Check the clutch switch under the dash which is directly engaged by the clutch pedal - NA clutch switches are known to self-destruct.
Regreasing the clutch slave cylinder push rod head where it contacts the arm/lever protruding from the GB with an appropriate high temp grease/sticky lubricant might be useful again, but if that contact point is the sole source of the squeak & stiffness, a new slave cylinder won't make a difference.

Wolfgang
Fast Driver

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Bit of an update...

After replacing the clutch fluid that resembled an espresso, the pedal is feeling much better and the slave cylinder is no longer squeeking.

Now to figure out why 2nd gear won't engage at random. Syncros are definitely worn, but there is no pattern to it's occasional refusal to engage 2nd gear. I suspect a broken engine mount due to the car shuddering/jumping/lurching when taking off in first and reverse. Will investigate further during my few weeks off over Xmas and New Year.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”