Low cost engine build

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

madjak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Low cost engine build

Postby madjak » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Yup... design, engineer, manufacture and install. I'll post a few pics when they are up.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:46 pm

GR124 wrote:
takai wrote:This is relevant to my interests... especially on the cam front.

I picked up a cheap BP4W with a busted piston, and planning a cheap rebuild to turbo.

Heading over to the US for work in a little while, so planning to pick up stuff while im over there. They do full rebuild kits for these for about US$90 and full sets of BP4W or BPZ3 OEM replacement pistons for US$100.

Just cant decide whether to get lower compression pistons for higher boost, or make a high comp low boost engine. Kind of leaning towards the latter.

All up i doubt it will come in much more than $1k including the turbo bits.

Hey takai, be great if you run a thread on your build, I've just picked up a BP4W on the cheap as well (has a knock :shock: ). I'm thinking a turbo build as well.

Not sure im qualified for this anymore. Found a cheap set of rods... and then a cheap set of forged pistons... and then the scope creep kicked in. Ooops.

datfreak
Fast Driver

Postby datfreak » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi, Madjak - old thread but worth a ask.
I've just bought a low k ford laser bp engine. It has a bp05 head but also has solid lifters with 2y cams.
How did you go with the these cams? Are they full granny spec or worth using?
As a daily, I was wanting to shave the head 60 tho and use cam wheels as a budget build.
Did you make your dyi skunk manifold for it?

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”