New coolant reroute kit from Flyin’ Miata

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

New coolant reroute kit from Flyin’ Miata

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Hey All,
Received an email about this today, Flyin’ Miata has designed their own reroute so thought I would share a link to it
I really liked the 949 racing Qmax kit but this looks like it could be better again especially for turbo cars and it’s not orange (if that matters).
There is also a link to a lengthy video in the description that goes into heaps of detail.
Enjoy. :beer: :D

https://www.flyinmiata.com/flyin-miata- ... route.html

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: New coolant reroute kit from Flyin’ Miata

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Looks like a really nice part.

But one thing I can see that may be an issue is that it appears to move the heater bypass to a post-thermostat position, which would essentially mean the heater will only see flow once the thermostat opens. (as well as the engine not running as even in temp due to lack of flow when thermo is closed)

If you wanted to run the heater bypass post-thermostat you'd save the money and just put the thermostat directly into the head (there's already the machined section there for one in a 323 application) and put the thermostat housing from the normal position to the back of the head.

I'm sure it's not the case, since Flyin Miata are a smart bunch, but yeah, maybe something worth confirming with them.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm

I think in the video there was something mentioned that they had to make the heater still functional but your right it certainly would be worth asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:51 pm

The 949 QMax re-route looks like it retains OEM heater functionality, if that is important to you. It would allow the heater to start warming the car sooner, as the water is always circulating, whereas the FM one will only start warming when the thermostat opens.

This would be a problem if the thermostat stuck closed - no circulation at the back of the head. On that basis, I think I would lean to the QMax over the FM, just to remove that risk.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 am

greenMachine wrote:The 949 QMax re-route looks like it retains OEM heater functionality, if that is important to you. It would allow the heater to start warming the car sooner, as the water is always circulating, whereas the FM one will only start warming when the thermostat opens.

This would be a problem if the thermostat stuck closed - no circulation at the back of the head. On that basis, I think I would lean to the QMax over the FM, just to remove that risk.

I think that is a concern, both your location and mine love to drop below zero :P

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 am

Yes, on reflection a stuck thermostat is a stuck thermostat wherever it is located, you will be lucky to get away without engine damage re-route or no re-route. :frown:

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:12 pm

I'd always choose a heater offtake before the thermostat rather than after it. It just smooths out the temps in the head during warmup.
’95 NA8

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”