PAR Gearset

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: PAR Gearset

Postby The American » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 pm

mk wrote:Have considered auto
Manual is too much fun on the street
Have spoken to some workshops and waiting on some quotes

Where did you land with this?

mk
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby mk » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:30 am

About to do the e85 conversion soon
See if the little 1.6 will like 27 psi through it
Once all the tuning is done I’ll put a 6 speed with 3.6 diff ratio in it
I’m going to keep it manual

mk
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby mk » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Any people running PAR gear set in the 6 speeds
If so what power are they at without any dramas
Thanks

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:28 pm

mk wrote:Any people running PAR gear set in the 6 speeds
If so what power are they at without any dramas
Thanks

SB Auto apparently have one in one of their cars, but don’t know what HP.

The 86/BRZ uses the same transmission and there are people out there using the PAR set with a claimed 600hp, but who knows.

Be prepared to wait, as they are not quick to fill orders.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:27 am

Well, what a saga. I will never deal with PAR Engineering again. It’s a one man band that can’t fulfil orders and makes endless promises and then excuses.

Since becoming a ‘customer’ I’ve discovered that my experience dealing with them is not unique.

If their product is what you want, don’t hand over cash unless you have the product physically in front of you or you’re happy to wait 18 months or longer.

And if you have the misfortune to receive damaged parts, (thanks to sloppy inadequate packaging) expect a further 18 months for replacements.

Buyer beware!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 am

Jeez, that's dragging on! Do you have the completed set now, or still pending?

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:05 am

The American wrote:
greenMachine wrote:For an NA6 ... :shock: Have you checked the price? And the performance?

If you need a stronger gearset, there are other options.

:mrgreen:

Compared to the BMW option, the par gear set has got to be a contender don’t you think?

Sorry, I missed this when posted - two years ago :shock:

Yes, probably. Not sure what was in my mind when I made that comment, but the circlip mod for the 6-speed would be front and centre now. However I am not sure how much extra margin you get from that.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 am

The American wrote:Well, what a saga. I will never deal with PAR Engineering again. It’s a one man band that can’t fulfil orders and makes endless promises and then excuses.

Since becoming a ‘customer’ I’ve discovered that my experience dealing with them is not unique.

If their product is what you want, don’t hand over cash unless you have the product physically in front of you or you’re happy to wait 18 months or longer.

And if you have the misfortune to receive damaged parts, (thanks to sloppy inadequate packaging) expect a further 18 months for replacements.

Buyer beware!

Wow :shock: :shock: :(

ML beat me to it, but have you got the replacement?

Last edited by greenMachine on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong smileys!

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:54 am

greenMachine wrote:Yes, probably. Not sure what was in my mind when I made that comment, but the circlip mod for the 6-speed would be front and centre now. However I am not sure how much extra margin you get from that.

If/when I build my engine, I'd like to get the gearbox and diff rebuilt at the same time and I'd want to get the circlip mod done, maybe by NEAT Gearboxes in SA (I think). I don't think the mod gives a great deal of extra headroom, but some.

They say the mod is good for 500nm - at the crank. 500nm is ~370ftlbs. Minus the 15% or so for drive train losses and you're looking at ~315ftlbs (425nm) at the wheel. The stock gearbox is estimated to be good for 300ftlbs (405nm) at the wheel.

So, you're getting an extra 15ftlbs for your trouble. But let's say they're conservative on their estimates, and drive train losses aren't that much, maybe you're safe to 330-340ftlbs? Maybe 350ftlbs in a street car?

Still worth the peace of mind, and to be honest a nice flat 300ftlbs of torque would be pretty awesome for me. 300ftlbs at 7000k rpm is 400hp, that would do me! I really really don't want to do the BMW gearbox and diff setup.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Agree Lachie, I haven't the coin or stomach for the BMW conversion, but if the circlip mod only gets you another 5% of headroom I wonder if it is worth it.

As you say, 300ftlbs is not to be sneezed at, especially at the top end - 400whp/300rwkw.

At this stage of my life that might enough to get me into enough trouble, and leave something to pay (some of) the fines ... 8) :wink: I think you are correct in saying that more can be had in a street car, but I will be tracking mine. Not going serious pot hunting like before, but I can't see myself tracking it in old man mode, so if I push the limits on output, I'll probably find them sooner or later, and then have a need for the spare gearbox I am currently hoarding.

Build thread

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:25 am

I have a complete set here but it includes the damaged “repaired” parts which he said he would replace.

So, technically I could run what I have and he will honour warranty. However, I now have first hand experience of a warranty claim and I know this to be practically worthless.

There’s no way I’d spend this much on parts, knowing that the manufacturer couldn’t support them. Couldn’t be trusted to package them safely for transport.

Hence “buyer beware”!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:58 am

Yeah, that's not what I'd consider complete. That sucks to hear.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”