My engine is coming out soon for new rings and a hone, What oil do I need for the initial run in?

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

My engine is coming out soon for new rings and a hone, What oil do I need for the initial run in?

Postby lonesailor » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 am

I'm planning to pull the engine in my NA8,(280K kms) as the compression is down at the bottom of recommendations. It's still running fine with no nasty noises, so I'm hoping all it will need is rings and a hone, I will of course measure everything up and replace anything outside specs. I'm curious as to what oil to use for the initial seating of the rings. I assume a straight 30 grade mineral would be best, but I haven't seen much of it around, at least in the usual places. What would others suggest, and where to get it. I figure that 100-200kms of city driving (stop-start) would see them seated. I will probably then change to a synthetic. I haven't been prepared to change yet, opting to use use Magnatec 10-40,and change it at 5000 k intervals, because I have had bad results changing oil brands /types in industrial settings, particularly large refrigeration compressors. What are others thoughts.

ED_MX5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: My engine is coming out soon for new rings and a hone, What oil do I need for the initial run in?

Postby ED_MX5 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm

I have always used Penrite running in oil (15w40) whenever I rebuild an engine. High zinc, plain mineral oil designed for run in.
I tend to run for 500km, then a 2nd run for 1000 then ok to use whatever.
That's my take on it anyway.

Hope that helps
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Re: My engine is coming out soon for new rings and a hone, What oil do I need for the initial run in?

Postby ED_MX5 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 pm

I have always used Penrite running in oil (15w40) whenever I rebuild an engine. High zinc, plain mineral oil designed for run in.

Hope that helps
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Postby ED_MX5 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Hope that helps
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Postby ED_MX5 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 pm

Hope that helps
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm

100-200kms of city driving won't bed the rings in properly. You need to progressively build load on the rings at mid and later full throttle openings over several runs. 4th gear on a series of long uphill runs works. Keep the run-in oil in for 500kms
’95 NA8

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”