Engine Mounts

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Engine Mounts

Postby rascal » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Roadrunner wrote:Maybe I should swing a spanner off everything in the engine bay just to double check though!

It's my standard process to do a spanner check before each meet ...
Has caught a few things that would have become issues on track....

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 pm

yea that didn't happen on my 2nd engine change . learned my lesson....even though I should have learned that lesson years ago.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm

On the topic of engine mounts, does anyone know if the bushing in a NitroDann hotside mount can be changed out to something softer? Is it a "standard" size bushing?
I like the ND mount as it incorporates a brace for the turbo manifold, but after driving a standard NB for a week, it would be nice to simmer down the SE vibrations if possible.
MeepMeep

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm

I believe AWR and Innovative (or something sounding like that) now make bigger (pyhysically) and softer (durrometer) poly bushes. These should reduce NVH compared to what was available at the time Dann made his mounts. Of course, this means a little more driveline movement, it's a trade-off, but it should still be stiffer than 2 rubber bushes.

PaulF
Racing Driver

Postby PaulF » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm pretty sure Dann chose the poly bush to be the same size as one of the control arm bushes. Rear upper control arm rings a bell, but I'm not 100% sure. Theoretically I suppose you could press an OEM rubber control arm bush in.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 pm

PaulF wrote:I'm pretty sure Dann chose the poly bush to be the same size as one of the control arm bushes. Rear upper control arm rings a bell, but I'm not 100% sure. Theoretically I suppose you could press an OEM rubber control arm bush in.

That's good to know. If I ever have the mount out for some reason I may just consider putting in a softer rated poly or IL Motorsports rubber. Though tbh I'll probably just get used to it again and forget about it till the dash starts rattling :lol:
MeepMeep

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:51 pm

PaulF wrote:I'm pretty sure Dann chose the poly bush to be the same size as one of the control arm bushes. Rear upper control arm rings a bell, but I'm not 100% sure. Theoretically I suppose you could press an OEM rubber control arm bush in.

I'm confident that it's a standard suspension bush too but also can't assist with which one it is...
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”