Engine Mounts

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

pdsman53
Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Engine Mounts

Postby pdsman53 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi guys,

For those newby's, that are contemplating replacing engine mounts....due to the frustration of missed gear selection on track, when another car is up your klacker.

I just fitted an AWR hot side and an MX5 Mania Competition Engine Mount, on road registered Track day 1999 NB8A.
Our existing 180k km, OEM mounts were still in reasonable condition, but substantial engine wobble.
.....a sh#tty, sh#tty job, but very much well worth the trouble.

The existing mounts came out via the wheel well, with a lot of fiddling (patience reqd)....contrary to lot of blogs I've read, like:-

..."remove the intake manifold support bracket"
..."remove plastic shroud under engine"
etc...

The AWR went back in the same way....no walkers!!

However the Comp. Mount (which was 5mm thicker)...needed a little metal grinding on the bottom flange, so it would clear the Brake lines on re-entry.

Also fitted an MX5 Mania short shifter...to confirm the 2nd to 3rd shift.
The result was extraordinarily good!!!...much better than expected.

No engine wobble....but more vibration/noise (open the window).

Do it...if you can't fit an engine damper.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Engine Mounts

Postby rascal » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 am

pdsman53 wrote:Hi guys,

For those newby's, that are contemplating replacing engine mounts....due to the frustration of missed gear selection on track, when another car is up your klacker.

I just fitted an AWR hot side and an MX5 Mania Competition Engine Mount, on road registered Track day 1999 NB8A.
Our existing 180k km, OEM mounts were still in reasonable condition, but substantial engine wobble.
.....a sh#tty, sh#tty job, but very much well worth the trouble.

The existing mounts came out via the wheel well, with a lot of fiddling (patience reqd)....contrary to lot of blogs I've read, like:-

..."remove the intake manifold support bracket"
..."remove plastic shroud under engine"
etc...

The AWR went back in the same way....no walkers!!

However the Comp. Mount (which was 5mm thicker)...needed a little metal grinding on the bottom flange, so it would clear the Brake lines on re-entry..

I fitted the exact same combo mounts to my nb8a a few months ago.
Just fitted them from above, jacking the motor to fit. A fairly simple job, did the comp mount first and awr one last which was dead easy.
Also I didn’t have to grind anything on the comp mount? It just slotted straight in..

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 am

It's amazing how much difference it makes. I put a NitroDann hotside mount in mine a couple years ago (stock cold side). Mount was a bit tired but I didn't think the motor moved that much and didn't miss gears etc, but comparing videos afterwards the gear stick now moves significantly less!
Very happy.
Do you get extra vibration at idle with the AWR and Comp combo? I do but only at certain ilde RPM, if it goes up slightly, say 50rpm from normal I get a subtle back massage and the bonnet dances water droplets a bit
MeepMeep

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 am

I've been running the Supermiata version of the Mania solution. Mania do it better by putting the poly mount on the other side to Supermiata. Supermiata's setup pulls on the rubber mount and compresses the poly mount as the engine twists, which will eventually tear the rubber more easily than if it were on the compression side as Mania have it. I did find a bit of NVH just above idle, but once running it's not noticeable and the performance is definitely worth it with either setup.

I've now got a crank damper on the snout, but haven't been able to put it to the test on the road to see what the combined result is. My hope is that it brings the NVH back down to near OEM levels, but that might be a bit optimistic.

AWR now do softer durometer poly mounts, with bigger bushes. I've been considering running them on both sides, this should give a really solid mounting, but disperse the vibrations much better than would be with the regular old AWR polys. I think I'll go this way when I rebuild the motor,.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:44 pm

I have the supermiata mounts on both sides (coupled with energy suspension diff bushings). It was quite buzzy at first, but seems to have settled down now.

I really did not like the experience of changing 2-3 without the stiffer arrangement. Too often it felt like a journey into the unknown with no known destination. Now, the shifting experience is much more predictable.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Regarding pulling versus pushing on mounts:

I have the Mazdaspeed rubber engine mounts. I built and installed a little 'tell-tale' movement monitor: a piece of thick straight wire attached to the front of the engine passing through a hole in a panel fixed to the chassis, with little plastic discs on the wire on each side of the panel with the hole.

What I found was that movement in both directions was equal within a millimetre at about 10mm maximum in both directions at the bottom of the cam cover. Of note, I have a high powered 1.6 atmo engine. But from this I assume that there is as much pulling on each mount as there is pushing on each mount. Therefore it probably doesn't matter which side the poly bush is placed on (in my case). Drive torque or engine braking or just vibrating, each mount will always feel some pull some of the time.

The only question is the temporal distribution of pull on one mount versus the other mount (how much time one is pulling versus the other), and this will vary between different cars, different use cases and different driving styles.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Bauer
Fast Driver

Postby Bauer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:49 am

pdsman53 wrote:I just fitted an AWR hot side and an MX5 Mania Competition Engine Mount, on road registered Track day 1999 NB8A..

Glad I came here and searched rather than ask on FB.

Coming down the pecking order to a daily or even a ‘spirited’ weekend car where I would assume the above would be overkill, is there merit in putting a competition mount on the hot side and oem style on the other? Or just do the comp on both sides? Or don’t bother at all and just do oem on both sides?
cheers
Stu

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:07 am

imo, you don't need the extra stiffness of the non OEM options unless you have significantly more than factory power. My 270km stock NB8B still has OEM mounts and doesn't have any extra movement.

Having said that, if it was me I'd just put the Mazda Motorsport (competition rubber ones) on both sides and be done with it.

I originally swapped in the the comp ones into my NB8A and didn't notice any extra NVH compared to the factory originals.
In fact if I didn't put them in myself, I wouldn't have known they were different....

When I went to the rotrex, I swapped to the awr hybrid mounts to cater for the extra torques, and you def notice the NVH change with these...

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Bauer wrote:
pdsman53 wrote:I just fitted an AWR hot side and an MX5 Mania Competition Engine Mount, on road registered Track day 1999 NB8A..

Glad I came here and searched rather than ask on FB.

Coming down the pecking order to a daily or even a ‘spirited’ weekend car where I would assume the above would be overkill, is there merit in putting a competition mount on the hot side and oem style on the other? Or just do the comp on both sides? Or don’t bother at all and just do oem on both sides?

I did this combo on a 1.8 conversion. also got the short shifter. OMG I fell in love with the car all over. wouldn't have anything else now. My car is a daily.
yes it is a little noisier, yes some bolts came loose initially.....but I'm a boy racer in my 50's . The car is exciting to drive. The gates for gearbox on an old 350k km gearbox are precise and will make you smile from ear to ear.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:45 am

Has anyone noticed any nuts or bolts coming loose from the increased vibrations? I don’t mind the extra NVH, but don’t really want parts coming off!

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:45 am

Ned Loh wrote:Has anyone noticed any nuts or bolts coming loose from the increased vibrations? I don’t mind the extra NVH, but don’t really want parts coming off!

yes in my case the were some. in my case it was the drive shaft & brakes .... whiche were both undone during an engine chagnge .they were perhaps not tightened correctly in the first place.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

PaulF
Racing Driver

Postby PaulF » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am

I've been running competition mounts for years in a street/track car and never had bolts coming loose from vibration.

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 am

Similar to PaulF's experience, I ran the comp mounts for 9 years and never had any loose bolts.

I have now swapped to the AWR mounts, which are another level of NVH, and do notice the bolts on the exhaust heat shield backing out somewhat regularly.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am

Bauer wrote:Coming down the pecking order to a daily or even a ‘spirited’ weekend car where I would assume the above would be overkill, is there merit in putting a competition mount on the hot side and oem style on the other? Or just do the comp on both sides? Or don’t bother at all and just do oem on both sides?

Like rascal, I'd recommend the genuine Mazda Motorsport mounts, which are rubber, but a bit stiffer than the original. I use them in my NB8A track car.
Part no. NAY1-39-040. Would be able to get them from Amayama.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:50 pm

StanTheMan wrote: yes in my case the were some. in my case it was the drive shaft & brakes .... whiche were both undone during an engine chagnge .they were perhaps not tightened correctly in the first place.

Oh wow, I’ve had my NitroDann hot side in for a while now. I have developed a small rattle in the centre of the dash near the windscreen but have not noticed brake bolts etc loose when changing pads.
Maybe I should swing a spanner off everything in the engine bay just to double check though!
MeepMeep

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”