Hydrogen conversion on internal combustion engines

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Hydrogen conversion on internal combustion engines

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 am

I know it been done , just not commercially available at this point. I'm still trying to figure out how it works....hey talk about water injectction, using lots of air. sequential injection & spark...
sounds like it's a turbo system in the making ....with some modifications.

may just hang on to my Kracken system for now
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Aiming Faster
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Hydrogen conversion on internal combustion engines

Postby Aiming Faster » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:38 am

If you're researching Hydrogen Systems, there will be stuff online relating to Diesel Engine Hydrogen add-on kits.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:39 am

well they are now researching hydrogen jet engines, the current system Ive realized still required fossil fuels ....so no point really.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:43 pm

StanTheMan wrote:well they are now researching hydrogen jet engines, the current system Ive realized still required fossil fuels ....so no point really.

Yep.
The current cheapest/easiest way to get Hydrogen commercially is by taking it from Natural Gas.
So you still have to get the gas(oil company) and then dump the solid carbon after the Hydrogen extraction process. This is the "Cleanest" way.
The problem is then transporting that Hydrogen. Hence why the places that use it in bulk, normally make it on site.

And forget about just making it from water. Very inefficient use of electricity. You may as well just charge a battery.

Oh yeah and Hindenburg.
Hydrogen burns almost completely colourless so when it lights up you won't know it until it's too late.

I have never understood the point of Toyotas Hydrogen fuel cell car program. Just seems sort of irrelevant.

The future will be batteries...And whatever fuel you have hidden away. :D
Have a look at the possible next generation lithium sulphur with of all things sugar added to them.
Battery tech just keeps on improving.
You can now even mow your 5 acre plot with a ride on running on batteries. Without ear muffs!!!
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

kishigae
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kishigae » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Toyota is experimenting with hydrogen internal combustion engines. They entered a converted Corolla (with a 1.6L Yaris engine) in an endurance race earlier this year. Most manufacturers that are betting on hydrogen are doing so based on fuel cell engines, like the Toyota Mirai.
While it is difficult to see hydrogen fuelled cars winning the battle against battery electric vehicles, there seems to be more optimism in the heavy transport industries, i.e. for trucks/buses, ships, where storage volume is not that critical as it is with cars and the distribution infrastructure upgrade is not so expensive.
2008 red NC PRHT - Instagram: @red.mx5

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”