Radiator hose joiner

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Radiator hose joiner

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Is it safe to use a piece of 32 mm aluminium or galvanised exhaust pipe to join two radiator hoses? Or should I find a piece of stainless?

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Radiator hose joiner

Postby rascal » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:04 am

I’ve been using alloy pipe for my reroute for years without issue…

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:27 am

I agree. Everyone fits an aluminium radiator without a sacrificial anode with no problems. Looking ar my existing cooling system I can see alloy alu block, alu radiator, brass and steel connectors and a steel overflow reservoir.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:15 pm

... OR play it safe and get an aluminium SAAS radiator hose temperature sensor adapter:

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Ranges-by-Brand-%7C-Autobarn/Saas/SAAS-Water-Temp-Adapter-Rad-Hose-32mm-Black-Aluminium---SWTA32B/p/PE16120?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyt-ZBhCNARIsAKH1174mkSvxwEUp584a8-rd1Clal6EbXCtjV9tEmLrEOfwghGEKx05jKmgaAkkpEALw_wcB

I got one of theses when I installed my TSE radiator and "sensibly" re-routed the lower coolant hose rather than sticking with the OEM route which avoids the steering shaft on LHD cars but is just DUMB on RHD cars since it's NOT there.

I couldn't find a hose that met my routing needs so cut up a couple that "almost did" and used the adapter to orient the hoses correctly.
The other added advantage for me it that I use a grub-screw in the adapter's temperature probe slot to empty my TSE radiator instead of needing to pull off the lower radiator hose completely which just spills coolant everywhere (TSE radiator has no drain plug :( ).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:25 pm

Yes, I saw the SAAS item which made me think, that's aluminium too.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”