Which ECU?

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Which ECU?

Postby PaulF » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:24 am

hamx5ter wrote:Clio... mx5

Ah, another man of culture 8)

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 am

greenMachine wrote:For real, MTnet is the goods. They are mostly Muricans, so you need to bring your commonsense and critical faculties with you when you visit, but heaps of knowledge lurking in there. You might start with the MS area, but check out the stickies and build threads.

Brain? Not so much ... :lol: ... at least not as far as social and political commentary goes ... did I hear someone say 'rednecks rule'?

:mrgreen:

Yeah, politics aside, if you want to know anything about spark timing, AFR targets, accell enrichment, MAT air density table etc then Braineac seems to have it well sorted. I wouldn't consult with him on world peace or theology or even dentistry for that matter. hahhahahah

I'm quite happy to share my tune, it is for a supercharged NA-8. But all tables below 100 MAP should be reasonable for an NA build. It's been 7 years of tinkering to get this far, although much of it was sorted out in the first month all those years ago. It's an interesting journey, BTW I am from a technical electrical control system background.

On here Bartmanfw, (?) is very very helpful and knowledgeable too.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:53 pm

bruce wrote:NAs weigh I think 1080kg, so the above figures aren't quite comparable.

That looks more like an NB8A weight to me, but I haven't checked. NAs are about 100+kgs lighter I think, may vary with the earlier and later cars.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:02 pm

bruce wrote:NAs weigh I think 1080kg, so the above figures aren't quite comparable.

I think you meant 980kg.....NAs are the lightest of the bunch. NB8As are 1026, NB8Bs are 1062kg.. :D

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:42 pm

Anybody weighed a basic NA6?
I weighed one of my cars (but heavily modded) and it was 1180.

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:09 pm

@Red_Bullet - that's awesomely kind of you. Yes please! I'll be sure to hit you up when the time comes... That should be a pretty good start, although the 7 years of tinkering seems a bit worrying!

@PaulF - a Clio2 AND an mx5... nice! you haven't happened onto motorcycles recently, have you? :D

Perhaps @StanTheMan we could organize a run between Newie and Sydney... lots of nice roads!

I think hamx5ter should squeak under the 1 ton... what with the missing air-con and power-steering, but then again, there's the BD bar and frame rails... :frown:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:55 pm

whats Newie? Newcastle?

my weights were based on an NA6 i though was 950 kg but perhaps its 980.

then again maybe its over 1000 kg as I have q 1.8 rather than a 1.6 bigger brakes heaver seats , hard top, Glass soft top, 5.4KG roll bar, bigger heavier wheels & tyres. so Bruce does have a point

My Bad

it the power loss 23% or 27 % from crank to wheel ? thats open to discussion too
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:52 pm

I don't think FWD loses nearly as much power crank to wheels as RWD. Probably 10%.

Think the Clio is still probably about 180 bhp at the wheels, although it weighs 1240 so power-to-weight, it's about 145 bhp / ton. It doesn't feel powerful though

There was an article on EVO a while ago talking about their favourite cars and they tended to follow a similar formula (even drivetrain was quite different). They mentioned around 150hp/top as the sweet spot where a machine is playful but still powerful.

On a side note, i just noticed the banner ads... Hume Smash Repairs (no longer in operation) and Adaptronic... I don't know anything about Adaptronic except that it was Aussie (and so's Haltech and Speeduino!) I remember going to Hume Smash many years ago and they had so many mx5s and interesting cars... a renault 5 turbo in blue.. a bit bittersweet ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 am

adaptronic?

focus on Haltech, speedfunio & Megasquirt.

My own journey with adatronic was a disaster. I ripped it out. To be fair it was a long time ago.

the most pleasant journey has been with the MS3 (this year) but I know a lot more now than when I started with the MS2 in 2016
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:14 am

StanTheMan wrote:adaptronic?

Yep, reading away. No matter what ECU i go with, i'll have give props to the Megamanual (and miataturbo) for the amount of info that is presented. Even for a complete newbie, there's plenty of info to learn basically the whole thing, provided i spent the time to go through it all. Another example of why FB is such a bullshit platform vs forums.

Unless I find an absolutely fantastic tuner who is able to guarantee me a fantastic tune across the whole rev range and won't do silly things like lock the tune, it will very likely be MS or Speedy... Plenty of time though.. i mean @Red_Bullet reckons i should have it running in 7 years :D

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:33 pm

hamx5ter wrote:
StanTheMan wrote:adaptronic?

Yep, reading away. No matter what ECU i go with, i'll have give props to the Megamanual (and miataturbo) for the amount of info that is presented. Even for a complete newbie, there's plenty of info to learn basically the whole thing, provided i spent the time to go through it all. Another example of why FB is such a bullshit platform vs forums.

Unless I find an absolutely fantastic tuner who is able to guarantee me a fantastic tune across the whole rev range and won't do silly things like lock the tune, it will very likely be MS or Speedy... Plenty of time though.. i mean @Red_Bullet reckons i should have it running in 7 years :D

I've been tinkering for 7 years, 7 years of tinkering is 7 years of learning and fiddling at the edges. It was running pretty well within a few days. Get good AFR targets and timing table, make sure MAT correction curve is correct and let it autotune or log to SD card and let megalog viewer adjust VE. I love to overthink stuff? Lately I've been trying to improve fuel efficiency in cruise more than anything. If you like scatter plots then there is some good stuff right here on this forum. https://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=29665&p=928558&hilit=scatter#p928558

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”