Which ECU?

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Which ECU?

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:52 pm

hamx5ter wrote:Thanks 93_C .. reading it now and it's an amazing thread. Yeah, i'm not pushing a timeline so happy to just read and learn about my options as i go along. I'll give the Speeduino / Megasquirt boards a read too..

miataturbo is a great resource for MS. Particularly listen the the contributor called "Braineac"

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:12 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:
hamx5ter wrote:Thanks 93_C .. reading it now and it's an amazing thread. Yeah, i'm not pushing a timeline so happy to just read and learn about my options as i go along. I'll give the Speeduino / Megasquirt boards a read too..

miataturbo is a great resource for MS. Particularly listen the the contributor called "Braineac"

Well that reference to MTnet took longer to surface than I expected :lol:

Brain? Absolutely, his social and political contributions are truly enlightening, a 'must read' for all who wish to be well informed on these matters. He also assembles MS ecus of one variety or another - idk anything about them, but linky may help others pursuing self-knowledge ... :D

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

hamx5ter
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hamx5ter » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:58 pm

I feel like you guys are just playing with me... :D

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:37 pm

For real, MTnet is the goods. They are mostly Muricans, so you need to bring your commonsense and critical faculties with you when you visit, but heaps of knowledge lurking in there. You might start with the MS area, but check out the stickies and build threads.

Brain? Not so much ... :lol: ... at least not as far as social and political commentary goes ... did I hear someone say 'rednecks rule'?

Build thread

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:22 am

i will second that. MTnet has a lot of info.
but don't ask silly questions or ask a question before you've done hrs & ht=rs of reading on the subject.
if you want to ask dumb questions do that on facebook.
and you'll get dozen's of peeps trying to remote tune your car for you
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:47 am

Questions? It's going to take me YEARS to finish reading all this...

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:28 am

I spend a lot of time on MT.net due to the technical content, gurus, and amazing build threads.

Just stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads and DO NOT ask a naive question that's obviously been asked a million times already and can be found via forum search or you'll be "e-raped". If you do ask a question, give plenty of context and provide information that indicates that you have done some of your own research.

Also, stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads, as others have said, most of the members are 'Muricans so have a 'Murica-only view of the world, tend to be extreme in their political views and have an insane belief in their right to bear arms.

I FOOLISHLY "chipped in" once after one of the MANY school shootings in the US, posting statistics on civilian gun deaths around the world and WHY should any civilian even be allowed to own an assault rifle, and was absolutely trounced by 'Muricans with some of the most paranoid and insane comments that I would not expect from anyone with an educated view of the world.
Most argued that "The answer is MORE GUNS!" so I just threw my hands in the air and now ignore 'Murican mass shootings, most there consider them acceptable in their way of living so I may as well too.
On another occasion in a travel-related thread, I commented something along the lines of '"Murica has too much lead pollution in the air" - this cost me about 10 MT.net "Cats", not as many as I expected though because I doubt most readers recognised what I even meant (maybe was lessened by those that agreed and gave me pos-Cats?).

PS: Stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads, unless you're interested in gaining an insight into the 'Murican way of thinking about the world - just don't contribute anything to them, they'll burn you alive for your heretical views.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:11 am

hamx5ter wrote:Questions? It's going to take me YEARS to finish reading all this...

And therein lies the rub - I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to ensure you've considered as much as possible all the implications of taking this route, which I may still do myself in the future if I have enough time & motivation.

Others above have outlined the quickest/shortest & ultimately the cheapest, if time equals money/family or recreational activity space, route to the exit. But if you just love the technical side of things & have the time for all the learning, & I very greatly appreciate & respect those that do love & excell in the technical side of things, then go for it!

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:53 pm

but its an education.
if you stay N/A .... its the best wauy around it.

and yes you can tune aggressive cams for decent idle. You just have top put your mind to it. It is possible, don't let anyone tell you its not.

ive broken things .....(bent valves , broken Valve guides , interference engines but \never thanks to my tuning)

With N/A you get away with things. whiler you learn, and yes, I stank of fuel every-time I got out of the car :lol: for a considerable time :lol: just ask a number of girlfriends.

until I stumbled on a thread on how to tune big cams for idle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Id never self tune a turbo+
or a race car

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 pm

Lokiel wrote:I spend a lot of time on MT.net due to the technical content, gurus, and amazing build threads.

Likewise. In my case, far too much time, but it is nice to dream :roll:

Just stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads and ...

Also, stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads, as others have said, ...

PS: Stay away from any social commentary/political/gun-control threads, unless ...

Lokiel, you must learn to speak your mind, you are among friends here. C'mon, spit it out ... don't be bashful ... :lol: :lol:

PS Yes, I have had a similar experience as Lokiel, maybe not so brutal but still bruising, and yes it was also on gun control. As Lokiel suggests, I now ignore those threads and my experience is much more rewarding as a result.

Build thread

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:15 pm

Thanks Lokiel and GM... points noted. :lol: I'll probably _never_ ask a question there!

Also, your comment about too much lead kinda answers the responses about guns. Also, your comment about too much lead was probably not understood by many because of ... too much lead :D I guess the answer in both cases is MORE LEAD!! of the .45 cal variety!

As STM says, it's an educamation! I'm enjoying reading about this process and not in a huge hurry to start ripping into the car. Even just reading it's becoming much more clearer just what i want out of the whole cams/computer thing for _my_ car... I'm sure things will get clearer before they become muddier :D

Currently watching the excellent videos introducing MS by [url]https://www.youtube.com/@OGPedXing] OGPedXing[/url] and there's tons of resources on the Megaforum and the interwebs. It'll take me a while to get my head around all that.

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 pm

93_Clubman wrote:
hamx5ter wrote:Questions? It's going to take me YEARS to finish reading all this...

Others above have outlined the quickest/shortest & ultimately the cheapest, if time equals money/family or recreational activity space, route to the exit. But if you just love the technical side of things & have the time for all the learning, & I very greatly appreciate & respect those that do love & excell in the technical side of things, then go for it!

The thing is, I'm not interested in big power. i just LOVE the whole natural aspirated feel... the Clio revs to a shade under 8k, but even when you don't rev it out, all that wailing even at 4-5k is sublime; the car is funny ALL the time. It's not a serious war machine; it's just a giggle. Much like the mx5. I've daily dríven the clio for nearly 10 years now and there hasn't been a single day that i haven't enjoyed being in it. They're both very smooth cars (now that hamx5ter is running properly) and i'm always amazed by how incredibly tactile the throttle response is.

It's this thing that i'm chasing, with a little more pace (It would be slower than the Clio, but would feel faster, because no roof and lower). I'd be happy to never dyno it to find peak power and stuff like that

ohhhhh... why couldn't they have made an NB with a F4R or 4A-GE???? :cry:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:14 am

I disagree. with respect of course :mrgreen: 8)

maybe in its current form you're very correct

you can end up with 115 RWkw NA
The cleo has around 123 Kw per ton

with 115 RWkw youd have somewhere around 140 KW at crank with less weight.,
my NA is currently around 150kw per ton.

with the rev range to boot.

I beat my sons Mazda 3 Astina with the 2.5L by a considerable margin.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:40 am

Sounds like you've got the right idea! Slow, steady learning, enjoy the car and enhance it as you go and learn.

Admittedly, we threw a LOT of cold water at you! Not to discourage you, but to give you realistic expectations. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as getting a flash tune on these cars, but it can be far more rewarding.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:14 am

NAs weigh I think 1080kg, so the above figures aren't quite comparable.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”