How far to drive with water pump leak?

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

How far to drive with water pump leak?

Postby Jeo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 am

Morning folks,

NB8B developed what I assume is a leaking water pump last weekend (regular, ~2/second, drip from the bottom of the crank case). Haven't pulled anything apart to go searching for it as I have negative spare time between now and Christmas, but have instead booked it in with ACDC for them to investigate/resolve for me.

Question is, should I drive the 12km there myself or is it worth organising a tow? My original thought was she'll be right, and in the unlikely event that it does get hot I pull over and top up the coolant, or worst case organise a tow from there. But a mate last night was saying I was mad and a tow was cheap insurance, and now I'm double guessing myself.Thoughts?

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: How far to drive with water pump leak?

Postby greenMachine » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:27 am

I'd drive.

That drip, is that when hot with the radiator cap tight? Doesn't sound like much of a leak in that case. If worried, can you loosen the cap so it doesn't pressurise the coolant but still prevents coolant loss, that will minimise the loss while driving. If still worried, take it there in the morning before the day heats up.

Keep a close eye on the temperature (I know you will anyway!) in case the shaft seizes (usually, but not always accompanied by lots of squeal from the belt) and the pump stops pumping - that is when engine damage is most likely.

This could mean that the cam belt is way overdue for service, as most people do belt and water pump together - but maybe the PO cheaped out last time :roll:

let us know how you go.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 am

I would drive.Your friend is being paranoid.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:54 pm

I've dríven distances with pretty decent radiator leaks before and been OK, but those cars had proper temperature gauges I could keep an eye on. The NA with the proper gauge would be fine to do this, but anything later with the dummy gauge I wouldn't do it. Even used the old egg 'n pepper trick in one ... and yes it works!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:56 pm

I guess the egg would plug it temporarily. WTF does the pepper do, except make it tastier?!

Jeo
Speed Racer

Postby Jeo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:11 pm

Both timing belt and water pump are apparently ~20k km old. Previous owner was Dave Battisson so I have no reason to doubt that, even if it is surprising that the water pump has let go so soon.

Drip is apparent regardless of temperate or running/not, which from my google diagnosing is why I'm leaning towards water pump. Again, would have investigated it myself but I can't see me finding time this side of new years so time to let the wallet do the work for a change.

Thanks all for reconfirming my thoughts though.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:13 pm

bruce wrote:I guess the egg would plug it temporarily. WTF does the pepper do, except make it tastier?!
I think the theory is the pepper stiffens the egg white. There's more scientific terms but I think that's what it's suppose to do. Worked on my old Ford many many years ago and a mates old HQ ute. He kept that ute going on eggs for months before he had the radiator fixed.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:26 pm

Drive. I have dríven from Eastern Creek to Newcastle with a significant leak from the coolant passage in/near the throttle body (my fault, long story). Stopped every 15 minutes to top up with tap water from bottles I collected at the race track. Eventually had to stop at the top of hills and do hill starts as the alternator was dying and draining the battery. Then realised I had to fix alternator because it was covered in water, by redirecting the leak around it and tying with a rag. Eventually it dried out and I was back to just worrying about the leak.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:02 pm

I just drove about 20 kays with a leak from one of my small radiator hoses (would leave a puddle when parked). Just checked levels beforehand and watched the temp gauge for movement. In the end may have lost a few hundred millilitres (my cooling system takes about 11 litres).

Jeo
Speed Racer

Postby Jeo » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:02 pm

And to report back after the fact - zero dramas. If I lost any on the way, I couldn't discern the difference in the coolant level in the overflow bottle before/after the trip. Temp gauge got to normal and then didn't move.

But the car does now have a new water pump and I've put ~200kms on it since, and all appears well.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”