Re: NA Steering Play

Postby zacMX5aus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks!

zacMX5aus
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby zacMX5aus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm up to putting tie rod boots on and noticed that one side doesn't have a groove for the boot to sit into. This might explain why my previous boot let go. Have you got any tips to make sure this end of the boot stays in place (aside from cable tie/wire)?

IMG_20180203_191027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zacMX5aus
Driver

Postby zacMX5aus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Also, am I right in thinking I need a 22mm socket bit to adjust the tensioner? I haven't been able to find one in any of the local auto stores, is there an alternative or was this meant to be adjusted with a speciality Mazda tool?

IMG_20180204_121142.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

This end of boot fits into this groove on tie rod. The other end of boot i just zip tie.
With the tensioner you can usually find a spark plug socket that fits upside down into the hexagonal adjuster with enough room to get a spanner on the hex part to turn and adjust.

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Like this..

zacMX5aus
Driver

Postby zacMX5aus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm

How can I tell the tensioner is correct? Too loose and I'll have steering play right?

Is there a correct torque value? I haven't been able to find one for manual rack... For power rack Ive read 43 in-lb then back off 1/16 of a turn.

Thanks for all the advice!

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 am

It is a matter of feeling when the pinion is not strained against the rack with the teeth chattering along as you turn it through its motion. It is easier with the rack solidly mounted in a vice or on the subframe but not connected to the front hubs so you can tighten the adjuster, turn the steering and feel for a just loose enough spot.
You don't want to have it too loose, and it effectively can't be tightened too much as even when you have it nutted up tight, the spring between the roller and adjuster bush allows for a little play.
Better to have it too tight and come back to adjust it slighlty after a bit of test driving.
Take care with this bit ok and remember to lock the adjuster bush in place with the large nut after every adjustment!

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”