EOI: (Mini Group Buy) SADfab MR2-S rear hubs for Miata

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: EOI: (Mini Group Buy) SADfab MR2-S rear hubs for Miata

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Lokiel wrote:Agreed, but someone needs to be prepared to actually do it.
takai should he has the answers.

Thanks for arranging the group buy Lokiel.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

More the point that it need not happen in batches.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Are you sitting down?

Postby greenMachine » Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am

Just a heads up, I have my email from Sean, the pricetag is $375USD/$500AUD with freight, bearings and ARPs. A bit more than what I was expecting, but it is the easy button compared to sourcing bearings and studs here.

Note for players who have not registered on Sean's list, or who are after position 20 on that list, Sean will be revisiting his price when he gets to that point, and so it may change (and of course $A/$US exchange rates will fluctuate too).

I see you blokes are in the 40s, so you have a bit of time to start saving ... :wink:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Re: Are you sitting down?

Postby Lokiel » Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 am

greenMachine wrote:Just a heads up, I have my email from Sean, the pricetag is $375USD/$500AUD with freight, bearings and ARPs. A bit more than what I was expecting, but it is the easy button compared to sourcing bearings and studs here.

Note for players who have not registered on Sean's list, or who are after position 20 on that list, Sean will be revisiting his price when he gets to that point, and so it may change (and of course $A/$US exchange rates will fluctuate too).

I see you blokes are in the 40s, so you have a bit of time to start saving ... :wink:

Thanks "for the heads up" - looks like our Group-of-3 will have to be creatively divided into 2 separate packages to avoid Duty fees (should still result in some S&H savings though).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

That's coming in more than expected, but there aren't too many options around.

Sean might be willing to get creative on the declared value, if we're lucky. GM's quote is with freight and the "fruit", so could still come in under AUD$1000 for the cost of the goods of our shipment.

And that's only if he gets to us before July 1st! Otherwise we're in for GST regardless. Also, I think we can avoid the added import duty (5% I think) and declare them as US made goods.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Beating 30 June could be a hard ask, factoring in shipping times, etc.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Exciting times for some people ... :wink:

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Yup!

For those interested in costs, I asked Sean if he could provide several costing options because we feared that we'd exceed the A$1,000 limit, especially given the poor state of the Aussie$ at the moment.

Me:
"... some drivel about Aussie Import Duty and why we'd like to avoid it...

So can you please let me know goods costs and S&H costs for these options (in US$):

1. 3x Hub sets + 1x Bearing set in one package (goods cost will likely will go over the Import Duty limit and you probably can't package these together anyway)
2. 2x Hub sets + 1x Bearing set in one package (this was an option if one of us dropped out because the goods couldn't be shipped together)
3. 2x Hub sets in one package, 1x Hub + 1x Bearing set in another (Lachlan's goods in the 2nd package)
"

Sean's response:
"Wow, you guys get so screwed. Ill work something up in a bit."

Followed by:
"A pair of hubs is $150. A pair of bearings is $50. Weight limit for flat rate usps is 20 lbs. I still need to weigh a pair to see what we can get away with.

1. Assuming this comes in under 20lbs, it will have to go in a large flat rate. merch is $500 and shipping is 100 plus insurance. Insurance will be around $10
2. I think I can fit this in a medium box. merch would be $350 and shipping would be $85 plus insurance.
3. One box would be $300 in merch and shipping is $85 plus ins. Lachlans would be $200 in merch and shipping is $85 plus ins."

Note that Sean (SadFab) isn't doing this as a full-time business, he's got a regular job and is mostly providing this as a service for the MX5 community so be patient with your order. There's been a LOT of interest in these hubs and you'll simply get added to the end of the list.

He's very responsive with PMs when you're "next up" and I appreciated the fact that he was prepared to split the items up if needed.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 pm

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legi ... ted-goods/

Just keep the new GST rules in mind when organising, not sure if Sadfab come under the turnover thresshold or not.

Also not sure how the ATO/Customs are going to actually work out the turnover of foreign businesses anyway, and the ATO have been absolutely useless in providing any details about it (what did we expect, really, from a last minute piece of "Gerry Harvey wants the govt to hold up his crap stores" legislation)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Its unlikey a lot of overseas websites would bother with registering for GST. Even if they do surpass the 75k threshold. I mean Australia cant even keep thier own back yard compliant with their self assesment tax rules. HOW do think they would go in another town in a figure of speech.
You might have the odd honest operator....but the medium to big guys certainly will not.
Of course yhe super massive guys like Amazon & so on of course get watched.

StanTheSkepticMan

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I agree, but the new rules put the onus on customs etc from my understanding.

So if Aust/ato/customs thinks the OS seller is big enough they'll slap GST on at the border, regardless of cost.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26 pm

I posted this first part in the "Things that pissed me off this week" topic:

Part 1:

BLOODY useless Australia Post!

I specified my work address for delivery of a couple of SadFab packages from the US, via USPS, and this morning when I checked the tracking status, it showed yesterday "03:41pm Failed delivery, retrying tomorrow."

I work on the 2nd floor and apparently no-one who works on the ground floor was around yesterday when it was delivered.

Sean from SadFab specifically asked my for my contact number for delivery so I gave him my mobile number - they didn't even try ringing it!

This morning I got an SMS on my phone saying that the package was being delivered again today and asked if someone was available to sign for it or to leave it at the nearest post office.

I responded that someone was available to sign for it and asked for them to call my number if no-one answered the door.

At 4:30pm today I hadn't heard anything and found an Australia Post note wedged in the rear warehouse door that it would be available for pickup at the XXXX Post Office tomorrow - they never even bothered to call my number.

I rang Australia Post to complain about this and apparently they just use subcontractors to deliver the packages and they don't get told any extra information - or even bother to ring the contact number printed on the package it seems.

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

Another reason to use UPS or FedEx IMO.

Part 2:

Picked up the 2 packages from Post Office this morning.

Here's mine and Magpie's rear hubs (half the packing removed to show them off) - ManiacLachy's box is underneath - he can open it:

Let me know when you want them guys and we can figure that out.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 am

Oooh shiny! I'll arrange a pick up, maybe next weekend if that suits you, as this weekend is a bit busy. I'll be in touch.

Thanks for organising and dealing with the hot mess that is Australia Post!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 am

Special install day? If so let me know and I will do smoked salmon candy.

Lokiel remember your personal commitment to Gina, no distractions, no shinny things :)

WIll get in contact after i get back from Sydney... Again thanks for organising!

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:52 pm

is anyone actually busting rear hubs?
Cheers,
plohl

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”