Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: MCA Street Performance (Purple)

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am

Thank Magpie.

Sorry to take this thread a little of topic but I will be installing some new coilover shortly for the first time. Without doing any research yet I just thought I would instal them out of the box albeit the perch height in both pairs evenly adjusted prior to fitting. Once fitted I would check ride height and make subsequent adjustments on the fly.

Is the above approach suitable or are the better/faster ways?

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:02 am

lucmor444 wrote:Without doing any research yet I just thought I would instal them out of the box albeit the perch height in both pairs evenly adjusted prior to fitting. Once fitted I would check ride height and make subsequent adjustments on the fly.

Will try and not get this topic too far off....

I made this post a while ago (video is not mine)

1. Remove dampers
  2. remove springs, bump stops and disconnect sway bars
  3. install damper back in, install wheel
  4. jack up wheel to where either the wheel hits the wheel arch or the damper lifts the car
  5. adjust the lower collar (damper length) so that the tyre just touches the inside of the wheel arch as the damper is fully compressed
  6. install spring/bump stop
  7. measure adjusted damper and remove the other side and match the length
  8. set ride height by adjusting the spring perch
  9. attach sway bar
  10. rinse and repeat steps for the rears

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 am

Thx magpie, much appreciated.

Now back to normal programming!

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am

lucmor444 wrote:better/faster ways?

Magpie wrote:1. Remove dampers

lucmor444, you're probably already aware of this, but in terms of steps 1 & 3 there's the long bolt method: https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/2 ... ethod.html

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:58 am

93_Clubman wrote:
lucmor444 wrote:better/faster ways?

Magpie wrote:1. Remove dampers

lucmor444, you're probably already aware of this, but in terms of steps 1 & 3 there's the long bolt method: https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/2 ... ethod.html

Thx 93_Clubman - I had heard that was the easiest and will be what I will do.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

lucmor444 wrote:Thx 93_Clubman - I had heard that was the easiest and will be what I will do.
You may need to loosen off the sway bar mounting bolts as these can stop the long bolt coming through.

I'm replacing all my front suspension arms on the weekend happy to take some photos if that will help.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Magpie wrote:
lucmor444 wrote:Thx 93_Clubman - I had heard that was the easiest and will be what I will do.
You may need to loosen off the sway bar mounting bolts as these can stop the long bolt coming through.

I'm replacing all my front suspension arms on the weekend happy to take some photos if that will help.

Any assistance is much appreciated so photos would be great:)

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:50 pm

lucmor444 wrote: Without doing any research yet I just thought I would instal them out of the box albeit the perch height in both pairs evenly adjusted prior to fitting. Once fitted I would check ride height and make subsequent adjustments on the fly.

Is the above approach suitable or are the better/faster ways?

In most cases you can get away with that approach. But following the steps that Magpie lays out is what you ideally should be doing. It is time consuming though.

MCA tell you that they set the overall damper length correctly at the factory, and in most cases (when you run 15 inch wheels) its probably in the ball park of what you want.

With Wombit's car, because he is running 17s with slightly over-size tyres, at full bump it was rubbing on the front. So we had to change the base height adjuster slightly to make the overall length a little longer to prevent this.

Magpie wrote:You may need to loosen off the sway bar mounting bolts as these can stop the long bolt coming through.

Spot on. I wish you had been around the first time I tried the long bolt method, had me puzzled for a while. You don't need to take them right out, just get the end of the bolts flush with top of the captive nuts.

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”