V-Sport AP ARacing 296mm 4 Piston NA/NB Front Brake Setup

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: V-Sport AP ARacing 296mm 4 Piston NA/NB Front Brake Setup

Postby beavis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Hoolio wrote:The AP kit uses 28 mm thick disks – that's a lot of extra weight which you don't need.

To the contrary, I do not necessarily agree when you say that it is weight "which you don't need".
I found that almost all the "biggest" big brake kits which the US shops are all offering do so with nothing larger than a rotor with thickness around 20mm (0.81"). Specifically, most of the big kits use a Wilwood 11.75" 160-0471 rotor (trackspeed,supermiata) or aftermarket option of the same size (such as is the case with the V8R option with stoptech caliper).

That is hardly any thicker than the OEM rotor (depending on what size OEM brake setup your NA/NB runs). For reference, an OEM NB8B rotor comes in at about 22mm thick when new.

In the context of the original post, I've purchased this kit from V-sport for about $2200 plus some extra cost for pads. All the components are quite heavy and everything its big and fat and overkill. As per Lukes findings mentioned in the post above where he spoke to the SE owner, the kit comes with everything you need to be complete bolt in, minus any form of instructions.

While the Wilwood kit ended up working for me, it did not do so quite well enough for my liking. I can't explain how the US folk get by with the Wilwood solutions, particularly when some of them are running larger & stickier tyres like hoosiers, and higher power levels. But for me the Wilwood based kit was not lasting long enough. Maybe a couple of events per pad set while rotors would last a little longer.

As others have said, sure the Wilwood kits use "cheap" rotors (about USD40ea), but you can't get them as easily in Australia so international shipping can start to come into factory... and buying the higher grade Spec37 rotors starts to get pricey anyway.

This AP kit runs a Commodore spec rotor that is available over the counter at almost any parts shop and is almost exactly the same diameter as the WW at 296mm BUT is critically 28mm thick. There is significantly more mass to put up with the heat demands. The caliper is an AP Racing CP9200 as mentioned by Luke, which offers a pad area of 57.36cm^2, roughly 30% more than the Wilwood Dynapro4. Pad thickness is 16.7mm vs 12.4mm, again in favour of the AP kit.

Sure it's more mass, but it's more mass in the most critical component of the car, and more mass means it should handle the heat better. You usually hear people say they've "cooked their brakes" or their "brakes are fading", but have you ever had someone say their brakes are too good?

That said, what I've mentioned above DOESN'T mean this AP kit is for everyone nor that the Wilwood kits are not good. Do your own research. Or if something is working for you, then don't let this thread change your mind.
BUT I think the AP kit will work better than anything else off the shelf for my application.

Additional comments:
  • Advanti Storm S1 15x9's fit over this kit.
  • My experience with Vsport was a bit disappointing, waited nearly a month for an email reply and had to prompt with followups despite their email address being largely on display on their website (suggesting they prefer that method of communication), but hey at least I received the kit in the end.
  • Despite the rotor hats being made by Bosnjak in NSW, they ironically DON'T fit over an MX-5 Bosnjak hub out of the box. I had to get the rotor hats modified.
  • The rotor hats are THICK, you will want extended wheel studs. It does increase front track slightly.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Please post lots of pics.... pretty please...

Of the hubs too :beer:

Yeah, I was keen on the ap kit, but found it too difficult to get information out of vsport to confirm if they would fit under the 6uls. Little disappointing but anyway. Only thing I got our of them was the rotor hats had a "built in" 12mm spacer.

As for the discs, you can get the cheap wilwoods local in qld from a speedway shop in slacks creek. They had 16 and are $60 each... cant go wrong with that.

Keen to hear more about the kit dude
Cheers,
plohl

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 pm

beavis wrote:
Hoolio wrote:The AP kit uses 28 mm thick disks – that's a lot of extra weight which you don't need.

To the contrary, I do not necessarily agree when you say that it is weight "which you don't need".
I found that almost all the "biggest" big brake kits which the US shops are all offering do so with nothing larger than a rotor with thickness around 20mm (0.81"). Specifically, most of the big kits use a Wilwood 11.75" 160-0471 rotor (trackspeed,supermiata) or aftermarket option of the same size (such as is the case with the V8R option with stoptech caliper).

That is hardly any thicker than the OEM rotor (depending on what size OEM brake setup your NA/NB runs). For reference, an OEM NB8B rotor comes in at about 22mm thick when new.

In the context of the original post, I've purchased this kit from V-sport for about $2200 plus some extra cost for pads. All the components are quite heavy and everything its big and fat and overkill. As per Lukes findings mentioned in the post above where he spoke to the SE owner, the kit comes with everything you need to be complete bolt in, minus any form of instructions.

While the Wilwood kit ended up working for me, it did not do so quite well enough for my liking. I can't explain how the US folk get by with the Wilwood solutions, particularly when some of them are running larger & stickier tyres like hoosiers, and higher power levels. But for me the Wilwood based kit was not lasting long enough. Maybe a couple of events per pad set while rotors would last a little longer.

As others have said, sure the Wilwood kits use "cheap" rotors (about USD40ea), but you can't get them as easily in Australia so international shipping can start to come into factory... and buying the higher grade Spec37 rotors starts to get pricey anyway.

This AP kit runs a Commodore spec rotor that is available over the counter at almost any parts shop and is almost exactly the same diameter as the WW at 296mm BUT is critically 28mm thick. There is significantly more mass to put up with the heat demands. The caliper is an AP Racing CP9200 as mentioned by Luke, which offers a pad area of 57.36cm^2, roughly 30% more than the Wilwood Dynapro4. Pad thickness is 16.7mm vs 12.4mm, again in favour of the AP kit.

Sure it's more mass, but it's more mass in the most critical component of the car, and more mass means it should handle the heat better. You usually hear people say they've "cooked their brakes" or their "brakes are fading", but have you ever had someone say their brakes are too good?

That said, what I've mentioned above DOESN'T mean this AP kit is for everyone nor that the Wilwood kits are not good. Do your own research. Or if something is working for you, then don't let this thread change your mind.
BUT I think the AP kit will work better than anything else off the shelf for my application.

Additional comments:
  • Advanti Storm S1 15x9's fit over this kit.
  • My experience with Vsport was a bit disappointing, waited nearly a month for an email reply and had to prompt with followups despite their email address being largely on display on their website (suggesting they prefer that method of communication), but hey at least I received the kit in the end.
  • Despite the rotor hats being made by Bosnjak in NSW, they ironically DON'T fit over an MX-5 Bosnjak hub out of the box. I had to get the rotor hats modified.
  • The rotor hats are THICK, you will want extended wheel studs. It does increase front track slightly.

Hi Beavis.
Greats news on the 15x9 Storms fitting over them.
So now we can confirm that both the 8's and 9's fit.
Also great that you confirmed that it is just a Commodore rotor. Those DBA 5000 rings are easy to get. I can literally walk to my local brake place to pick those up any time.

I'm sure my OEM NB8B setup will hold for the rest of this year which is only 2 more sprints.
So I am still very keen on this kit for next year.

Since you have now done it, can you say how many mm the offset increases by compared to OEM?
Can you elaborate a bit more on pricing and what came in the kit?
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Ok, so a slight update for those of you still following.

Firstly to answer a few questions:
Yes there is a fairly considerable increase in wheel offset due to the thicker rotor hat to the sum of about 13mm per side. I have included specifics in the video comparing the V-sport hat to OEM and also to Trackspeeds wilwood spec hat.

In terms of cost, as I mentioned in the previous post, it cost me $2200 for the whole brake kit. That was for calipers with the mounting brackets, rotors with alloy hats and brake lines with fittings, plus an extra $100 to upgrade to a set of Hawk brake pads (normally comes with Ferodo's).

Putting them to the test:
Functionally, they work. They out perform and outlast the Wilwoods, they handle the heat well. I did cook my brake fluid with them, but that was my fault for using just whatever Dot4 fluid I had on the shelf at the time. The increased thermal mass is useful, the increased consumable life is a godsend. Like any brake setup that is worked hard (and I work my brakes pretty hard) this kit still requires brake cooling/ducting. I was getting about 5-6 laps of Winton per session before my fluid started to suffer - that was the weak link and everything else was holding out fine.

Some pics and videos:

Youtube vid first, here is the review/install/comparison video with some extra detail and information that has not been mentioned thus far in this thread:

And as requested, some images of the installed product. I think I've covered all the interesting angles. As well as a sub standard phone pic of the Bosenjak hubs.

Thank you.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:15 pm

thanks dude!

You've headed down the same path as a number of turbo'd 5's in qld. There are I think 3 with APs and 1 with some brembos from a R33 GTR. Zoomzoom is moving to a wilwood superlite caliper.

I'm not sure how the yanks go with the dynapro kits, even with the radial mount kit with the extra pad thickness, they must just throw pads and rotors at the setups with boost. Or don't do many laps.

Vsport were painful to get information about this kit out, so thanks for putting it all up.
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am

Yep thanks!

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks Brendan, that was a good vid. Is it too soon to be able to report on steering feel/response/feedback from the extra weight/offset, or have you dealt with the offset with an increased(?) wheel offset?

Anyone figure out why the hat is so thick? I understand that the extra 10mm hat thickness (over the Wilwood) would add stiffness, but is it really required in the MX5 application - we are not stopping 1600kg or more? The reputed 'Wilwood flex' was I understood in the calipers flexing, I have not heard it was a hat problem?

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:03 pm

The hat is so thick so you can fit a thicker rotor on.
The biggest issue with fitting thicker rotors on the mx5 is the steering arm. Because the steering axis is in front of the wheel centre line, the arm is moved outwards to get the desired ackermann.
This why all the willwood kits that are "bolt on" use a 0.81" or 20.6mm rotor, you can't really go much bigger without moving the rotor outwards.
Thicker rotors are a double edge sword for your wheel bearings though - Thicker rotor = thicker caliper, so the caliper gets closer to the wheels' spokes, and you have to push the wheel out further.

So if you're already machining a custom hat, may as wheel include the "spacer" required to give you the wheel clearance.
Cheers,
plohl

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Awesome update Brandon.
You probably just made the interest levels go up on these tremendously as that is pretty much all the information that everyone wanted to know.
This is the sh*t that V-Sport should post up in the first place and answer if they want to sell the product.

Since I've met the guy that got this going in the 1st place I know the kit was deigned around Buddy Club 15x8' +32 wheels and they got it wrong. They needed 10mm spacers for the wheels to go on which I can tell you now, he was not very happy about it. The barrel of the wheel tapers on those(as per most wheels) and that's what hit the calliper without the spacers.

13mm increase in offset confirmed! I understand why because of the thicker rotor and the clearance to the steering ball joint, but surely if the rotor was installed at the same point on the inner side as the factory rotor, they could have made it a 6mm increase as a minimum(28mm vs OEM 22mm rotor). Obviously this would have a end result in 7mm less calliper to wheel spoke space further limiting which wheels would fit. I don't think my Advanti Storm 8's had that much room when I did a test fit and I doubt the 9's have much more room so it is understandable what they have done.

That now makes me wonder if I should go 9 inch Storms as well then since they are a +35 offset vs the +25 on my 8's so the tyres should come back in ~10mm. Will run the same 225/50/15 A050's either way which look pinched on 8's. That will make it work for me with a slight negative camber increase that I need to do any way. Only running 2.75 degrees at the moment and should probably run 3.25 degrees.

Brandon do you have 6UL's (8's or 9's) at all as well or know someone that does so we can find out if they fit over the brakes as well?
Is pedal feel still the same?
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Luke wrote:do you have 6UL's (8's or 9's) to find out if they fit over the brakes as well?
Is pedal feel still the same?

I don't have any 6UL wheels sorry.
Pedal feel is "bitey", but I'm currently blaming that on the pad compound. I'll swap back to my usual Hawk DTC60 when I deplete this set and see if that returns things to normal.

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Well, I got my hands on a 6UL 15x8 +36 to try out.
And it does not fit!!!

The corners of the calliper(where the Torx bolts are on them) hit the barrel of the rim.
With a 5mm spacer it just clears the barrel by 1mm which is not enough.

So put the 15x8 6UL on the NO list.

Pity as I was really hoping that would work as it would be perfect for a road/track car running these brakes.

Can't do these brakes if I can't find a 15x8 rim with +35mm offset or higher that fits. Very frustrating.
I don't know of a 15x8 rim that has more room than the Storms but the +25 offset just does not work unless you have fender flares.
For track, no question 15x9 Advanti Storms.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

I don't think you need flares for the Storm 15x8 +25, maybe a roll at most, but I'm sure I've heard of people running them without issue just out of the box.

What about RPF1s? 15x8 +28 fit stock bodies no issues.

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:16 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I don't think you need flares for the Storm 15x8 +25, maybe a roll at most, but I'm sure I've heard of people running them without issue just out of the box.

What about RPF1s? 15x8 +28 fit stock bodies no issues.

I run the storms right now.
With 225 50 15 Yokohamas you definitely need roll and pull.

These brakes are equivalent of running with a 13mm spacer on a standard setup. So no chance.

Rpf1 has even less room.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:46 am

Right, I forgot the brakes act as spacers as well!

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:03 pm

:idea:

Well yesterday I randomly woke up and thought why do I need 15 inch road wheels???
I can run 16 or 17 inch rims for the road and wet track which will make a far easier fit over the caliper!!! RE003's are a good cheap tyre to fit.
Then just have 15x9 Storms for the track. 1 of only 2 15 inch rims I know that will fit!!!

I will still have to change my upper wishbone bushings to the Delrin offset ones for better guard clearance, but that is no big deal as I have them.

It does mean I will have 4 sets of 15 inch rims to move on.
And have to buy 2 sets of 15x9 Storms.

I would prefer to get 15x9 Konig Dekagrams over the Storms, but they are a complete unknown as well.
They fit Goodwins 11.75inch Wilwood kit, which does not mean much considering how much smaller the caliper is in those kits compared to the AP caliper.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”