I need some new tyres, I can't get those I want. Next best?

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

I need some new tyres, I can't get those I want. Next best?

Postby lonesailor » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:28 pm

I have a stock NA8, I am finally able to do another track day in 4 weeks time and want some better tyres than I now have, which are el-cheapos. I have 15" wheels from a NB on her and still have the 14" originals. Went shopping via google today for RE003s but it seems they are nil stock everywhere and the shipment isn't due for 6 weeks. OK I thought I'll get some Nankang semi slicks for the 14's and keep them for trackdays, a bit more expensive, because I'll still need some RE003's when they become available, unfortunately it seems they are on the same boat. What I need now is some suggestions. Either a decent road performance tyre to do both duties and get some Nankangs later, when (if) my skill level exceeds that of whatever i get now. Or is there an affordable alternative available in 185 60 x14. semi slicks? I'd also like to hear any offers of some reasonable and reasonably priced used 14" track tyres that may be available. I'm not interested in buying any new wheels.

CeramicND
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Re: I need some new tyres, I can't get those I want. Next best?

Postby CeramicND » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Best bang for buck tyre is the 195/50/15 Hankook RS4. It's a good track tyre and a decent road tyre, so RE003 wouldn't be required.

Best 14" track tyre is the Yokohama A050 185/60/14 but their $265ea. Bridgestone does the RE71R as well but it can take 4 months. Pretty sure their around $169ea. Also Nankang has the AR-1 or NS2R but I would be checking tyres dates as they have some old stock.

You just can't beat the RS4 for value, good track performance and still decent on the road

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:40 am

+1 on everything above. I used to have two sets of wheels and tyres, one for road and one for track. Then I bought RS4s... Now I just use those for both.

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 am

Thanks for the replies, I have just been trying to source some RS4s appears they are nil stock almost anywhere and the guy who as a set left wants an arm and a leg for them. Anybody got any other suggestions, it appears there is a real shortage of almost every brand at the moment.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:11 am

How about Yokohama AD08Rs? I run them in 205/50/15 on my SE with 15x8 wheels, not sure if they have an appropriate narrower tyre if 205 is a little too much? But they're fantastic tyres, comparable to the RS4s.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:07 am

Tyre City has the RS4 in 195-50-15 on sale for $119.

https://www.tyre-city.com.au/?main_page=product_info&cPath=606_1761&products_id=5621

At that price it would be worth getting them shipped.

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm

I checked that site out for the RS4s , nearly clicked the go button but decided to check first -- nil stock for 2 months. Yokohama AO50 are available but a bit out of my price range. Looks like I'll have to do the best I can on my existing street tyres this time, and call it practice.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes, I think your search was futile. You will have to wait until the world returns to some kind of normality and freight recovers.
I have noticed the TV ads for 'Buy 3, get 1 free' tyre deals have all but disappeared.

CeramicND
Driver

Postby CeramicND » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:43 am

lonesailor wrote:I checked that site out for the RS4s , nearly clicked the go button but decided to check first -- nil stock for 2 months. Yokohama AO50 are available but a bit out of my price range. Looks like I'll have to do the best I can on my existing street tyres this time, and call it practice.
Where are you located? I'm in Newcastle and got 14 in stock. I don't ship though!

Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 am

I'm in bayside Brisbane, Newcastle is a bit far to go for tyres especially now as I'd be up for $2200 for hotel quarantine when I got back.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:39 pm

I find the stock on these types of tyre are always low. They move pretty quickly because everyone is waiting! They never get into a surplus. Best to order now so you get yours when they do eventually come in.

angrykoala
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC - Supercharged

Postby angrykoala » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 pm

I own an NA and have just scored a set of ENKEI RPF1 15x7

I am likely to only do the occasional track day and don't cover many km per year.

I understand many performance tyres go off over time. What you you recommend as a performance tire for low yearly km's?

Grant

CeramicND
Driver

Postby CeramicND » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:49 am

lonesailor wrote:I have a stock NA8, I am finally able to do another track day in 4 weeks time and want some better tyres than I now have, which are el-cheapos. I have 15" wheels from a NB on her and still have the 14" originals. Went shopping via google today for RE003s but it seems they are nil stock everywhere and the shipment isn't due for 6 weeks. OK I thought I'll get some Nankang semi slicks for the 14's and keep them for trackdays, a bit more expensive, because I'll still need some RE003's when they become available, unfortunately it seems they are on the same boat. What I need now is some suggestions. Either a decent road performance tyre to do both duties and get some Nankangs later, when (if) my skill level exceeds that of whatever i get now. Or is there an affordable alternative available in 185 60 x14. semi slicks? I'd also like to hear any offers of some reasonable and reasonably priced used 14" track tyres that may be available. I'm not interested in buying any new wheels.
195/50R15 RS4's should now be in stock, I've had 16 on order for a while and they have now arrived.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:56 am

angrykoala wrote:I own an NA and have just scored a set of ENKEI RPF1 15x7

I am likely to only do the occasional track day and don't cover many km per year.

I understand many performance tyres go off over time. What you you recommend as a performance tire for low yearly km's?

Grant

All tyres go off over time. The advantage you have is that you'll probably have to replace them for age before they run out of tread, so you can get something pretty soft.

You also probably want RS4s, unless you want to fork out $$$$ for A050s which need to be warmed up before they have any advantage.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:56 pm

I just bought a very fresh set of RE003 195/50R15s from tyresales.com.au. Waited 3 days for free delivery and fitting in regional NSW
’95 NA8

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”