Bit of a wheel resto

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Bit of a wheel resto

Postby manga_blue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:49 pm

I've had this car 15 years now and I think this is the sixth set of wheels I've had on it. :D

Sprint Hart Tuner, Car was made Jan 95. These wheels were made Mar 95. Period correct JDM

Rescued from the back of the garden shed where they've sat among the chook food and spades for 10 years. Never really used because they were vile pearlescent cream with pink writing and were totally uncleanable

IMG_20201021_135702855.jpg

Then water blasted,scrubbed, scoured, hand sanded and sprayed in Rustoleum graphite wheel paint. Spiders and various cocoons removed from valve stem, etc. Shod with RE003s in 195/50R15

IMG_20201107_151638057_HDR 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
’95 NA8

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: Bit of a wheel resto

Postby The American » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:55 pm

They look really good!

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:56 am

Quite the transformation, and that new colour should mask brake dust nicely. 8)

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 am

That was the main idea. White is horrible for keeping clean when the shape is complicated.

This is not the first set I've restored in the last year or two. You can get a perfect result with the right prep and paint.

I started out using VHT High Temperature Wheel Paint. The label says it's safe to use on wheels getting up to 121C. Other than that it's hard to use, hard to get a good finish and the finish is pretty average anyway.

Then swapped to Dupli Color High Performance Wheel Coating, safe again up to 121C. It's slightly easier to put on and the finish is a good quality hard even satin gloss. So far it's proven pretty durable on country tar and dirt roads.

This last set was done with Rusto-Leum High Performance Wheel, safe to only 93C so not the best for racing wheels. The nozzle sprays a fine wide pattern and the can can be used at any angle, even upside down. It's super easy to put an even coat down, even around the spokes and lug holes. Finish is professional standard. It's better in real life than it looks in the pic.

I'd say ignore VHT, use Dupli Color for race wheels and Rusto-Leum for street wheels and do lots and lots of prep.
’95 NA8

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”