NB Wheel Bearing ABS ring

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

NB Wheel Bearing ABS ring

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm

I think my passenger side front wheel bearing is on it's way out (light roar sounds like tyre/road noise but only coming from that corner). I see replacement hubs require you to pull the ABS ring off and install on the new hub. How easy/difficult is this? It's probably the only tutorial MX-5 related I can't find online!
I do have access to a hydrolic press if that helps. Should be easy to get on the new hub, but any tips to get it off the old hub?
Suspend the hub studs down via the ring and push down on the centre of the hub?
MeepMeep

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: NB Wheel Bearing ABS ring

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:30 pm

1st off some background info.
Replacement OEM hubs will fit the ring.
No guarantee on an aftermarket hub fitting the OEM ring.

Now to fitting.
Not actually sure how my dad has been doing it at work for me as he has access to plenty of gear there.
Was more going there to press in the ARP studs each time.

You can get the ring off a bid of a crude way as long as you use finesse.

Soak the ring in penetrating oil.
Put the hub in a vice or similar.
Slowly tap the ring off with a hammer and a bit of what ever you have suitable lying around in between. Don't hit the ring with the hard hammer, sharp screw driver etc.
Don't just smack it. Work your way around gently to that you don't bend or marr the ring.

Seen it done with brute force as well, with no lube at all on one of my hubs. Was not impressed but It worked, surprisingly without breaking anything.

If anything I am more surprised that yours has started whirring rather than getting play considering the track work it has done.
Normally mine start to have play then I dump them. No noise at all.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:22 pm

I’ve got a three claw puller I used to remove the rings from mine. I don’t remember them being that tight. I don’t remember how I put it back on. I think gently tapping around the perimeter

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Ohh I have a 3 claw puller. Finally an excuse to use it!!
Luke, I’m not 100% it is the hub. Has done a couple years of track work since last replacement (done by Mania). Got to do the wheel wobble test but vaguely remember doing it a while ago when I first noticed the noise and there was no movement.
I can’t think of anything else it could be. Have rotated wheels and it still comes from the front passenger side.
MeepMeep

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:53 am

The last time I had to do it, I just tapped them off / on with a hammer. No issues.

However haven’t needed to do that for years cos all the hubs Ive bought since come with abs rings already.
In fact the abs ones seem to be more plentiful and cheaper than non abs ones, probably cos they can be used on abs and non abs cars alike. Either tapping the ring off, or just leaving it there. It doesn’t interfere with anything on a non abs car..

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 am

Roadrunner wrote:Luke, I’m not 100% it is the hub. Has done a couple years of track work since last replacement (done by Mania). Got to do the wheel wobble test but vaguely remember doing it a while ago when I first noticed the noise and there was no movement.
I can’t think of anything else it could be. Have rotated wheels and it still comes from the front passenger side.

Have you rotated the wheels by hand to see if the left side is noisier than the right. Also with wheels off, rotate the hub flange back & forth by hand to see if the left is not as smooth as the right.

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby ralt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 am

Hi.
Use a hammer and they fall off. Just remember all joints are the same just that some have abs rings fitted.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Finally got a chance to do a 12&6 push pull test (cars been parked on grass for a while). There is definitely play in the passenger side. Only small but I can feel it so it needs to be replaced. Drivers side is fine.

rascal wrote:The last time I had to do it, I just tapped them off / on with a hammer. No issues.

However haven’t needed to do that for years cos all the hubs Ive bought since come with abs rings already.
In fact the abs ones seem to be more plentiful and cheaper than non abs ones, probably cos they can be used on abs and non abs cars alike. Either tapping the ring off, or just leaving it there. It doesn’t interfere with anything on a non abs car..

Where do you get yours from? I was going to order from MX5Mania as the price is reasonable at $159 and I have $60 in credit, but the listing reads:

Complete replacement Front Wheel Hub & Bearing to suit the Mazda MX5 NA & NB 1989-2005
THIS IS THE EXACT BEARING MAZDA SUPPLIES AS GENUINE PART BUT NOT IN A MAZDA BOX!
RRP FROM MAZDA DEALER $401.50! WE SELL FOR LESS THAN HALF PRICE!
(Please Note: if you have ABS brakes you have to remove ABS ring from old hub and press onto this hub)
MeepMeep

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:54 am

Roadrunner wrote:Where do you get yours from? I was going to order from MX5Mania as the price is reasonable at $159 and I have $60 in credit, but the listing reads:

Complete replacement Front Wheel Hub & Bearing to suit the Mazda MX5 NA & NB 1989-2005
THIS IS THE EXACT BEARING MAZDA SUPPLIES AS GENUINE PART BUT NOT IN A MAZDA BOX!
RRP FROM MAZDA DEALER $401.50! WE SELL FOR LESS THAN HALF PRICE!
(Please Note: if you have ABS brakes you have to remove ABS ring from old hub and press onto this hub)

My last lot was from rock auto in USA, but given current world situation, may not be a suitable option atm.
However Bursons are a good local source for hubs. Think they were about $120 last time, for the abs versions..

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”