Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

pdsman53
Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Stripped Rear Damper Bolt Fix

Postby pdsman53 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Guys,
This post is just for future information.
For the next poor bast@rd that comes across this fairly frequent task.

I had a spinning Rear Damper bottom securing bolt...the one with the captured nut inside the Control Arm.
The nut was still captured, so I knew it was stripped.

I'd read a few blogs...but most of the fixes were very time consuming, like dropping the Control arm out, to work on the bench etc. etc.

After I did the job, I saw this similar blog :-
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=74442&p=914809&hilit=lower+rear+shock+bolt#p914809
he had taken the attached photo:-

My method took me less than 2x hours to do get the tools out, put back, position the car over my pit, decide what to do and the removal.

I'm lucky enough to have a pit, to drive the car over and get access to the suspension even with long tools....you will need to jack up high enough to fit the tools you use.

1...remove the stripped bolt
I have a 240v corded Reciprocating Saw (Bunnings), which I have used primarily on wood...but I'd also bought a Metal blade at the time.
I could fit the blade up the slot beside the damper bottom Rubber/steel bush, so I actually cut through the end of the Damper lower Boss/Rubber Isolator and bolt (as far away from the damper as possible).
...pulled both bolt/nut halves out.

2...I then attacked the underside of the control arm with a Tungsten Carbide rotary tool....I used a compressor/Air Dremel tool (although you could use a Drill/Carbide Bit) ....I did this so when I get a replacement Bolt/Nut/Spring Washer, I can hopefully fit an open ended spanner on it.
....see the attached photo, for a similar forum approach.

3...I then had to grind/cut flat (same tools), the Nut Capture cage....so I can fit a new spring washer/nut.

I'm waiting for a bolt/nut/washer to complete the task
I will also fit a spacer washer, (the same thickness as the cutting blade)....to replace the end of the Damper rubber/steel isolator that I cut through to get to the bolt.

Hopefully it will help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”