SE Racing Hart Wheels

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

aussiecossie
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

SE Racing Hart Wheels

Postby aussiecossie » Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 am

I recently bought some original Racing Hart wheels to take my SE back to the factory look. They had some gutter rash but I've fixed that now & was going to paint them myself. However I've since found out they were a done in shadow chrome and so maybe it's better to get them done professionally.

So 2 questions:-

Firstly has anyone painted these themselves back to original look (or close to it)? If so, what paint/technique did you use?

And secondly, does anyone know a good paint or wheel repair place in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne who could do it if I decide to go that route?

Thanks

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: SE Racing Hart Wheels

Postby greenMachine » Sun May 30, 2021 12:15 pm

I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you that when discussing the repair of my bent S1, I was told that a repaint (colour plus clear, I assume) would be around $150. There may be some economies in doing four together, but that would be the starting point I guess.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun May 30, 2021 2:37 pm

I know shadow chrome involves a few layers of different paint (silver base then a darker layer, then clear).
But I did see shadow chrome in a can at Repco one day but it was a lot darker (more of a black). Don't know if it looked OK.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:56 pm

bruce wrote:I know shadow chrome involves a few layers of different paint (silver base then a darker layer, then clear).
But I did see shadow chrome in a can at Repco one day but it was a lot darker (more of a black). Don't know if it looked OK.

When the wheels were done on my (now sold) SE I was advised that shadow chrome is next to impossible to match as each painting batch turns out slightly different due to the process. This was obvious when I put the replacement second hand wheel beside the others...

Bruce you were close, it's 3 stages;
- black undercoat
- translucent sliver mid-coat
- clearcoat top layer

Note: all 4 of my wheels were professionally repaired and/or cleaned up, then repainted as part of an insurance claim.
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

aussiecossie
Driver

Postby aussiecossie » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for the answers. I got hold of a can of the Duplicolour shadow chrome kit but it's not even close to the original. Still tossing up what to do but I'm thinking I'll have a go myself first (especially given I'm in lockdown again) and if it looks terrible then a pro can always redo them later on. Cheers

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:31 pm

I'm going to be that person ... :roll: 8)

I don't know if you have seen the threads/posts about people (like me) chucking the 17s for 15s? There is a reason for this which I (and I am sure others) would be happy to elaborate on but I don't want to go further in hijacking your thread than to say that this is a noble pursuit of a questionable outcome.

:mrgreen:

BTW I have a couple of gutter-rashed 17s destined for the scrap metal bin - you can have them for $25 the pair if want to practice (or have some spares).
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 pm

^
+1
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 pm

But originality!!!
That's what made my Silver SE so desirable when selling to the general market. It had all the original parts available and the parts that were done on it were all bolt on bits.
There is no way I would have given away the SE rims whilst I owned that car.

Yes 15's ='s faster on track but for road driving the 17's never bothered me one bit.

Re painting Shadow Chrome yourself.
I wish you the best of luck!!! Painted a few rims myself but only ever done Metallic Silver and Gloss Black.
I had my Racing Harts redone at one stage but I'm in Sydney.
Ended up darker and less chrome looking than than the original which actually looked better.
It was many years ago(Maybe 2011 or 2012) so was only $120 a rim back then. Yhey were charging $80 a rim for normal colours as Shadow Chrome is more paint and more work. There was no metal damage to fix as it was purely scratches and marks from pebbles on a visit to a gravel trap. Just a full strip and repaint.

Would love to see your rattle can result as I'd be keep try it myself one day.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

CeramicND
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby CeramicND » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:12 pm

Years ago I bought some House of Colour Shadow Chrome. From memory it was $120 for 250ml. It goes over high gloss black. So really it needs to be finished in a gloss black, allowed to cure if it's 2 pack and then shadow chromed and then cleared. A royal PITA.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

aussiecossie
Driver

Postby aussiecossie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:44 pm

So I gave up on the home spray shadow chrome kit, it just came out looking like grey primer. At this stage I've gone with a Kromebrite spray (from the local Auto One shop) which looks Ok to me, but I'll eventually get them powder coated as close to the originals as I can get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 pm

That looks pretty good to me.

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Problem is that it's not hard wearing. You can scratch it with your fingernail.

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”