Replacement pads for QFM HP-X / A1RM

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Replacement pads for QFM HP-X / A1RM

Postby lonesailor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 am

Suggestions required for brake pads to replace the QFM pads on my standard '96 NA8. I have been very happy with the performance of these even though their longevity has been a little less than I expected. I would have happily replaced like for like had they been available. The car is used mainly as a toy car on the road but does around 5 trackdays per year. Ready availability would be a big plus, suggestions for a Brisbane supplier would be appreciated.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Re: Replacement pads for QFM HP-X / A1RM

Postby manga_blue » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:21 pm

I've used both HP-X and Hawk HP+ pads for many years. Generally prefer the Hawks on both street and track. Many have complained about dust and noise with the Hawks. I've experienced absolutely none of that. I think you just need to have decent rotors and the calipers properly maintained.

I used to buy the Hawks from Mania
’95 NA8

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:47 pm

My pad of choice for dual duty is Carbotech (GLok) XP10, XP8s for the rear. 12s are race pads with bad dust problems, get it off quickly or be stuck with it - literally - but they are overkill for a dual duty car (unless it is pushing 200+rwkw). Dust is not a problem for the 8s and 10s, the dust is not sticky and comes off easily.

Tried Hawks once, they came off quickly, never again.

My 2c :D

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:56 pm

greenMachine wrote:My pad of choice for dual duty is Carbotech (GLok) XP10, XP8s for the rear. 12s are race pads with bad dust problems, get it off quickly or be stuck with it - literally - but they are overkill for a dual duty car (unless it is pushing 200+rwkw). Dust is not a problem for the 8s and 10s, the dust is not sticky and comes off easily.

Tried Hawks once, they came off quickly, never again.

My 2c :D

:mrgreen:

and my 4c. :D I had the XP10/XP8 combo as race pads on a lightly modded NA8. Excellent race pads but too harsh and noisy for the street
’95 NA8

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:55 pm

First off, don't expect QFM pricing for any of the previous suggestions or mine.
They were cheap for a reason. You may have never experienced it because a stock NA8 is simply not fast or heavy enough, but the friction material on QFM's had a tendency to fail and break up before wearing out. I had it on the front and to a lesser extent on the rear of my current lightly modified NC2 and there are plenty of complaints about it on various car forums. All the other suggestions and mine are a far superior product to anything QFM had.

Winmax W3 will fit your bill.
This is a made in Japan quality product.
Can be bought online through Spares box or Carsmods Australia. I've done both.
The distributor is in QLD, Motorsport Brakes, but no longer sells direct. Bellow is the site with all resellers.
https://www.motorsportbrakes.com.au/dealers/
Sparesbox has Winmax on sale right now, but not the front for you application. Front right now are $220 and rears are $184.
Using these right now on my lightly modified NC2.

I would also suggest Carbotech AX6/Gloc R6 for your purpose.
Ignore their website saying they are unsuitable for track, No problems here.
These were perfectly suitable on my Standard NC and Standard ND.
Very easy to clean the dust off. Had the PITA to clean BBS rims on my NC(LE model) so this was a big factor for me.
The 1521 road pad was fine in my NC on the rear for track day use.
The only problem is the Australian distributor does not offer AX6 as they did many years ago. Only the far more aggressive XP10 and 12 and the full road pad 1521.
That leaves you having to source them from overseas where shipping becomes a cost contributor.
There is a negative for Carbotech/Gloc. They use rivets to hold the friction material to the backing plate, so forget about wearing them down to the backing plate useless you want score marks in the rotors from the rivets. From memory you will have about 3mm left when the rivets touch the rotor.

I know Hawks have come up and they will be cheaper than the above 2 but I personally will not use them again.
I have no issue with the braking performance of them in HP+(only dríven others people cars with HP+) and Blue(overkill for your use), but did hate 2 things.
1 The rotor wear is excessive vs the above 2 brands.
2 The dust is black and corrosive when wet. Will basically turn to rust and etch into the paint of your wheels.
BTW, do not try Hawk HPS as a track pad. Was no better if not worse than Mazda OEM on a standard NC. Don't know about the newer HPS 5.0 but I gather it is not much better.

There is a brand I have been wanting to try but have not had a chance to yet that Brakes Direct in QLD sell.
Forza.
There FP3 grade looks suitable for your use. FP2 would be as well but not available in your size.
They are $180 for your front and back size.
https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/catalogsearch/result/?q=vehicle&make=Mazda&model=MX-5&generation=1989-1997%2B%2528NA%2529&engine=1.8L%2BPetrol%2B%2528NA8%2529
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:24 am

I use, & like, Carbotech XP10 on my NB8A. It is a track only import, but has standard engine & ecu. They aren't aggressive, dust cleans off easily, & the ones I have are bonded, not rivetted.
I used Hawk Blue once & never again. As previously stated the dust particles etch into the wheels if wet - not good on white P1 B/C Racing wheels!

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 am

Thanks for all the replies and info, I have purchased and will fit this afternoon some Forza front pads from brakes direct here in Brisbane. Did the track day last Friday with my old pads, they had about 5mm left and weren't too bad but I did notice some problems late in the day which I thought was probably overheated fluid. I must change it again soon. Dot 3 is recommended , but I'm wondering if a higher boiling point fluid may be called for, what do others use, and is there any thing I need to know before changing to it?

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Definitely Dot 4 for spirited driving/track days.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 am

Just put Dot 4 in. Infact Superdot 4 such as Nulon in the Yellow bottle or Castrol React in the Gold bottle. Don't waste money on the RBF 600 dot 4 fluids. They attract water faster and you don't need them for your heat load. Your pads will give in before that fluid. Superdot 4 doesn't boil even with glowing discs.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”