Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Sidewinder
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SkidNation MX-5 Tire and Wheel Boot Rack

Postby Sidewinder » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:47 pm

Has anyone tried this product before?

https://skidnation.co.uk/shop/mazda-mx5 ... boot-rack/

They seem like a handier way to bring a set of wheels and tyres to the track than a trailer (or a support vehicle :mrgreen:).
In memory of my first MX-5 - 4th September 1998 - 21st October 2005

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: SkidNation MX-5 Tire and Wheel Boot Rack

Postby plohl » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:44 pm

I made my own a few years ago... It was more similar to the garagestar set up. Should have gone tighter on some tolerances as it had a bit of movement and only every used it one. It was too much of a pain to take on and off at the track.

The skidnation one looks like it should be a bit stiffer than mine was so it hopefully won't rattle around as much.
Cheers,
plohl

Sidewinder
Driver

Postby Sidewinder » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:06 am

Thanks for the feedback! Removing them at the track is something that I'll want to do, so that's a bit of a worry.

The SkidNation ones are held on with four bolts on each side. Can I ask if yours were more or less fiddly than this?
In memory of my first MX-5 - 4th September 1998 - 21st October 2005

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:55 am

It was more the same of parts than just dissembling it from the car.

It had 4 M6 shcs bolting it to the boot that could be buzzed off with a rattle gun and a 10mm spanner.

The one you're looking at does look a bit easier with the R clips, where I had lynch pins.

So you get to the track,
pull the tyres off
Pull the pins out,
Take the bars out
Get the shot out of the boot
Undo the brackets.

I just found it easier to add two eye bolts in the boot and strap 3 wheels down across the boot (open obviously) and with the passenger's seat out, I can fit the 4th wheel in the car.

I tend to take a lot of sh*t to the track, so passenger's seat was almost always out.

The tyres were way more secure than my rack, but again it had some design flaws.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:35 am

I have been through the full cycle.

Drive to the track on the track tyres. Easy button, maybe not so good if you have to drive hundreds of kms each way, heat cycles may be more of a problem with some tyres more than others. Reasonable space for tools etc, passenger.

Frame sitting on passenger seat, IIRC that enabled three to sit in the passenger area, one in the boot. Bugger all room for jack, tools, etc.

Boot rack, this freed up a bit of space for tools etc, but removing rack was a pain (not difficult, just time consuming to R&R).

Small trailer, towed behind racecar. Lots of room for tyres, tools and even a passenger! Easy to R&R tongue (two bolts).

Car trailer. Expensive, need tow car. Space not an issue. Only option if car a non-runner during the day (this got me home three times, 2x SMP, 1x PI). Necessary if racecar not registered.

Personally, I would go with one of the last two, probably the small trailer is the most cost effective if you are not driving the wheels off it and therefore willing to risk having to make arrangements to get the car home if you shunt or have engine failure.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”